Everything 2021-2022 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    So... What do you think about the idea of Ben Simmons coming here? I think he's given himself a poor name but that being said, if anyone in the league can fix him its the Raptors. If they rehab his game and image they can probably ship him for a big profit later should he not become more tough minded.

Sixers president of basketball operations Daryl Morey will turn his gaze to Canada once he realizes that he can't trade Ben Simmons for Damian Lillard or Bradley Beal.

Of the teams that have been consistently linked to Simmons since Philadelphia's second-round flameout last season, Toronto stands out as the most intriguing suitor.

The draft compensation involved in any eventual Simmons trade figures to be a difference-making variable, but the Raptors have the base talent to outbid numerous teams (if they choose) when Philadelphia finally reaches the point that it concedes it is no longer tenable to hold out for a star on Lillard's or Beal's level. Rather than pursue a swap centered around Pascal Siakam, it is easier to see Philadelphia trying to push to acquire a rising star capable of replicating Simmons' versatility — namely OG Anunoby — who can be packaged with a playoff-tested veteran ballhandler to give the Sixers' backcourt a needed boost (Goran Dragić).

That’s not to say Toronto would be willing. Simmons' tumultuous first week back with the Sixers hasn’t exactly enhanced his punctured trade value and word is that Masai Ujiri, Morey’s Toronto counterpart, “loves” Anunoby, who is poised to take a major step in the post-Kyle Lowry era given the potential he has already flashed as a defender, playmaker and shooter. Surrendering Anunoby at this pivotal stage of his development might be too painful for the Raptors, even if they are tantalized by the opportunity to relaunch Simmons’ career. I’m just saying Morey will try.
    https://marcstein.substack.com/p/eig...ss-predictions
    for me it depends on the draft capitol philly is willing to surrender in us taking on simmons. if they want us to take on that contract and give up OG, it would have to be massive

otherwise GTFO daryl

Comment

So... What do you think about the idea of Ben Simmons coming here? I think he's given himself a poor name but that being said, if anyone in the league can fix him its the Raptors. If they rehab his game and image they can probably ship him for a big profit later should he not become more tough minded.

https://marcstein.substack.com/p/eig...ss-predictions
      Trading for Simmons? Great idea.

Trading a core piece for Simmons? Bad idea.

Trading OG of all people for Simmons? Terrible idea.

We can offer them some combination of Dragic, Trent and Boucher, plus a couple picks. Come January for Trent.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

for me it depends on the draft capitol philly is willing to surrender in us taking on simmons. if they want us to take on that contract and give up OG, it would have to be massive

otherwise GTFO daryl
        Well, to put things in perspective, they pumped the breaks on trade talks and decided to play chicken with Ben because they didn't like the offers. They probably are expecting OG, Dragic and picks. Of course they're not getting all that but just saying. Masai will bide his time and I trust he will do a deal if/when the price is right.

Comment

Well, to put things in perspective, they pumped the breaks on trade talks and decided to play chicken with Ben because they didn't like the offers. They probably are expecting OG, Dragic and picks. Of course they're not getting all that but just saying. Masai will bide his time and I trust he will do a deal if/when the price is right.
          i know that. it was my facetious way of stating i have absolutely zero interest in simmons for basically anyone on this team, especially OG or barnes. i don't see his contract aging well

Comment

• I wouldn't do OG for Simmons straight up, let alone adding other stuff. It's not that I'm overly high on OG (he might actually never make all-star like Simmons), it's that Simmons contract looks radioactive as it stands. If you have 30M on your books that you can't play in late playoff games because he doesn't shoot free throws (as a point guard), and you have to tiptoe around as to not bruise his ego, you're setting yourself for years at the bottom of the barrel.

For me personally It's some combination of Dragic, Boucher and maybe Trent, and if there are to be picks, heavily protected. Take it or leave it.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

We can offer them some combination of Dragic, Trent and Boucher, plus a couple picks. Come January for Trent.
              Philly was asking for guys like Dame (and picks) and Beal (and picks). 76ers are on a distant planet, Dan.

Comment

plz dont leave out Fred van vleet

I really dont think freddy is as good as people praise him to be

Comment

• Kawhisexual wrote: View Post

None of the guys are superstars, they will all struggle if in the wrong role. Fred as your primary creator with no primary scorer on the court? Yeah, he'll look bad.

Put him into a nominal PG role, with a primary creating star (which Pascal did a passable imitation of last year), and let him initiate plays, spot up for open looks, attack closeouts and defend the point of attack, and he's very, very good.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Kawhisexual wrote: View Post

He earned the level of respect he has for some big shots and plays during the Championship run. He's a cog though, not the engine.

Comment

None of the guys are superstars, they will all struggle if in the wrong role. Fred as your primary creator with no primary scorer on the court? Yeah, he'll look bad.

Put him into a nominal PG role, with a primary creating star (which Pascal did a passable imitation of last year), and let him initiate plays, spot up for open looks, attack closeouts and defend the point of attack, and he's very, very good.
                      So what would be the ideal scenario moving forward?

Option 1: Leave Van Vleet, trade rest of core guys to acquire a primary scorer?

Option 2: Trade Van Vleet and pieces to match salaries to acquire a scorer?

Option 3: Leave Fred and Siakam and thread water?

Option 4: Wait for Scottie to develop and hope that he be the Alpha Primary Scorer?

Option 5: Your holier than though take we all wanted to hear?

Comment

My opinion has changed since this first came up in the spring/early summer. He's a very good player but it's hard to get past the fact that everywhere he has played: LSU, Australia teams, Philly; there has been a lot of messy controversy. At some point, you have to accept that he's the common denominator and that it's likely to be the same problem when he gets to your town.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

So what would be the ideal scenario moving forward?

Option 1: Leave Van Vleet, trade rest of core guys to acquire a primary scorer?

Option 2: Trade Van Vleet and pieces to match salaries to acquire a scorer?

Option 3: Leave Fred and Siakam and thread water?

Option 4: Wait for Scottie to develop and hope that he be the Alpha Primary Scorer?

Option 5: Your holier than though take we all wanted to hear?
                          Uhh, trade whoever the other team wants to get a superstar. Don't trade guys for the sake of trading guys for anything less than a superstar. Doubt that's Fred, but it also certainly isn't Ben Simmons.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I don't think Ben is the player we should be trading for. I'm not saying anyone is untouchable on this team (maybe Scottie and OG), Simmons isn't worth the price IMO. Simmons a flawed all-star, he's a guy that wants to play PG, but refuses to shoot 3's or have any kind of mid range game. He also can't shoot FT's.

We had to build a team around DeMar's lack of D and his lack of 3 pt. shooting, never quite got the right complimentary pieces. We built around Bargs being a perimeter 5/4, he didn't rebound or defend well. It would be similar with Simmons.

Keep on stocking up on assets, and developing our young guys... at some point a more well rounded player will come available, and we'll have one of the better packages to offer.

Comment

• I genuinely want to do a 5-10 game check in this season on this thread because I think its important

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Because those were the guys Lebron wanted and James has a decent track record in Cleveland and LA of knowing what pieces need to be around him to win. Too many quick judgements being made. Give them 40 games.
                                they will struggle no matter what give them 100 games... they will still struggle. Westbrook was a terrible pick up unless you can genuinely convince me otherwise. I mentioned it before.

Comment

Working...
                                X