Everything 2021-2022 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I don't think we'd want Christian Wood. He's that Masai like 6'7-6'8 guy that can bring up the ball and play C. But he's not a defensive player, and we only like defense first guys with his frame/size.

Plus I don't think the Rockets would just trade him for crap. We'd have to give up at least 2 FRP's IMO.

What I was thinking was a guy on a long term deal but making around $18-22M to help offset our tax situation and give a team a way to unload a long term contract by taking on an expiring or two. So not really a basket ball trade but more of a money trade.

That's why I was thinking Eric Gordon or Buddy Hield. But I think Hield would have more value to the Kings then a couple of expiring contracts.

The team that gets Dragic I assume would buy him out and not actually use him this season.

Christian Wood is 6'10. His contract is up next year.. Same year that turner's is up. We do not want to take on long term contracts because it ruins our ability to pivot to either timeline with the current or future core. We are currently operating above the tax for the record With goran's contract being around 19-21 million.

You mentioned lack of defence yet suggest Eric Gordon. I am confused by this.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
      There's not really a ton of trades out there, the teams that could take on Dragic would most likely have to buy him out (non playoff teams). Christian Wood is a guy I would chase, even if it means throwing in a pick a couple years from now. They have Sengun and Garuba to develop and Theis that can fill in at the 5. Dragic and a pick for Wood and filler.

I love Heild, but SAC has a ton of PGs. I don't love what Dallas has to offer, Powell, Burke and Brown wouldn't be too bad, but we also don have the roster space for them.
      We'd need other teams to make it work.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

He could be the oft-injured AD situation trade to LA from the Pelicans. Not exactly the same circumstances but just focusing on how Mr. Glass went to a better situation and thrive.

I know the financial implications and may just hurt the Raptors but we just never know how it would turn out. Nothing is set in stone.

We discuss these scenarios for the fun of it in this forum. After all we dont write the checks.

Just like posters would toot their horns about how they were so right in saying that Birch should have started instead of Precious. Or how another poster was so adamant that Svi should be a better starter than GTJ.

who would have thought Barnes is this good.

why we are all here and why those who make decisions are where they are…
        If you're a believer in Porzingis, then its a no brainer trade for the Raps. Forgive me, but I am not a believer and would rather let those contracts expire. Find a 3rd team that wants Porzingis, but doesnt have the assets Dallas wants, and we dont take back any bad money with term...well that makes more sense to me.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post

If you're a believer in Porzingis, then its a no brainer trade for the Raps. Forgive me, but I am not a believer and would rather let those contracts expire. Find a 3rd team that wants Porzingis, but doesnt have the assets Dallas wants, and we dont take back any bad money with term...well that makes more sense to me.
          Porzingis is exactly the trade Dallas would love to do.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Christian Wood is 6'10. His contract is up next year.. Same year that turner's is up. We do not want to take on long term contracts because it ruins our ability to pivot to either timeline with the current or future core. We are currently operating above the tax for the record With goran's contract being around 19-21 million.

You mentioned lack of defence yet suggest Eric Gordon. I am confused by this.
            The point is the value to get Wood would be much much higher than the value to get an Eric Gordon. Neither play defense, but to get a Gordon you would only have to send Dragic and Boucher with nothing else. We'd duck the tax to do it, and get a 6th man type of player. Houston gets two expirings for a guy that's not part of their plans and has an extra year on his deal.

Wood would require at least one FRP, likely two. Unless we package someone like OG to get him. He's not a 2-way player either but he's got much more value around the league than Eric Gordon would. And to give up a big ticket item like a FRP or OG would not be something we'd do for a core piece, especially if that core piece doesn't at least play defense.

As for the contract length.. Gordon's expires in 2023 (2 years). He has a full non-guaranteed contract in 2024. And only gets it guaranteed if he becomes an all-star or if win a chip. So likely not going to get that guarantee.

Comment

The point is the value to get Wood would be much much higher than the value to get an Eric Gordon. Neither play defense, but to get a Gordon you would only have to send Dragic and Boucher with nothing else. We'd duck the tax to do it, and get a 6th man type of player. Houston gets two expirings for a guy that's not part of their plans and has an extra year on his deal.

Wood would require at least one FRP, likely two. Unless we package someone like OG to get him. He's not a 2-way player either but he's got much more value around the league than Eric Gordon would. And to give up a big ticket item like a FRP or OG would not be something we'd do for a core piece, especially if that core piece doesn't at least play defense.

As for the contract length.. Gordon's expires in 2023 (2 years). He has a full non-guaranteed contract in 2024. And only gets it guaranteed if he becomes an all-star or if win a chip. So likely not going to get that guarantee.
              that isn't exactly the best reason to get a guy like Gordon. Also I think we have seen that cap space doesn't matter. Within reason.

Comment

• I thought this was interesting, as we hear complaints about the Raptors shooting %. This from Zach Harpers power ranking this week in the Athletic.

"The league as a whole is only shooting 34.3 percent from deep. For the better part of 25 years, we’ve rarely seen the league average accuracy dip below 35.0 percent. Only five times in the last 25 years have we seen that happen, and two of those years were lockout-truncated.
                • 2011-12: 34.9 percent
                • 2003-04: 34.7 percent
                • 2002-03: 34.9 percent
                • 1998-99: 33.9 percent
                • 1997-98: 34.6 percent
                We haven’t seen a “normal” regular season league-wide 3-point shooting this low since 1993-94 when the average was 33.3 percent. Again, small sample size."

Is everybody defending 3's much better? Has the defensive pendulum swung? Is the midrange shot about to make a huge resurgence? We'll find out.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  I thought this was interesting, as we hear complaints about the Raptors shooting %. This from Zach Harpers power ranking this week in the Athletic.

"The league as a whole is only shooting 34.3 percent from deep. For the better part of 25 years, we’ve rarely seen the league average accuracy dip below 35.0 percent. Only five times in the last 25 years have we seen that happen, and two of those years were lockout-truncated.
                  • 2011-12: 34.9 percent
                  • 2003-04: 34.7 percent
                  • 2002-03: 34.9 percent
                  • 1998-99: 33.9 percent
                  • 1997-98: 34.6 percent
                  We haven’t seen a “normal” regular season league-wide 3-point shooting this low since 1993-94 when the average was 33.3 percent. Again, small sample size."

Is everybody defending 3's much better? Has the defensive pendulum swung? Is the midrange shot about to make a huge resurgence? We'll find out.
                  And all of those season but one round up to 35%. Too early but there's likely a range of factors.

All I know is that I am enjoying the fewer foul calls.

Comment

• He was a lottery pick last year (10th overall). He was also on the all-nba summer league first team.

I'd trade Boucher for him and see what he has. Would keep his bird rights even if he's a UFA.

Comment

• He was mocked to go in the late teens and I was hoping we could move up to get Jalen. They’re not paying Ayton or this kid?

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                        He was mocked to go in the late teens and I was hoping we could move up to get Jalen. They’re not paying Ayton or this kid?
                        Ayton will still be an RFA.. they just couldn't agree on an extension. His camp wanted the max, and the Suns didn't want to pay him that.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Yes the contract is of a concern. Could possibly be reformatted?

However Raptors can load manage KP and maybe that would make him more durable. He does not have to be a starter and be given that much of a workload like what he had gotten in NY and now in Dallas. At the same time, as I said we rid of a negative in Dragic. As far as Boucher is concerned, we all know he most likely may not be in the long term plans of the Raptors.
                          How is Dragic a negative? We don't even play him so he's neutral at worst. Just let him expire instead of swapping him for Porzingis horrible contract. If we're sending Dragic to the Mavs I'd rather take back Powell and Moses Brown. We could actually use those 2 guys and they aren't on garbage contracts. Zinger on the Raptors just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Ayton will still be an RFA.. they just couldn't agree on an extension. His camp wanted the max, and the Suns didn't want to pay him that.
                            Do we want to pay Ayton max? I mean if we let a couple of contracts expire. Will we have space?
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Do we want to pay Ayton max? I mean if we let a couple of contracts expire. Will we have space?
                              We have no space. Trent and OG's extensions basically neutralized all our cap space for the foreseeable future. So it would have to be a sign and trade.

Comment

He was a lottery pick last year (10th overall). He was also on the all-nba summer league first team.

I'd trade Boucher for him and see what he has. Would keep his bird rights even if he's a UFA.

they may want a bit more then that.

Comment

Working...
                                X