Everything 2021-2022 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

They could have worked with Robinson's cap hold, like we could have with GTJr to get that max space to get Lowry. Essentially making Robinson a UFA by waiving the QO, but get the tiny cap hold.. and then resigning Robinson using his bird rights after they signed Lowry. So they didn't have to use a S&T to get him.
    I'm not an expert on how these things work, but from what I understand, once you make Robinson a UFA, you're basically going on his word that he'll re-sign with you. And you also risk having to match a big offer or tying up cap space at a bad time.

Regardless, the Robinson QO was indeed made before the start of FA, so once the Heat made that decision... the Raps would presumably have leverage over the Heat. The only consideration at that point was pissing off Lowry.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Haven't followed DeRozan much this season, but I'm curious if anyone has done a comparison of his numbers this year to when he was with the Raps. Is he playing that much better or is it that he's getting more media attention playing for a big city team from the U.S.?
      He is a much better overall player, even in San Antonio. He has taken a step above that this season. He is averaging 27, 5 and 5 on 50% FG and 36% 3P and has been very clutch this season.

Obviously being Raptors fans, the biggest question is can he perform consistently in the Playoffs. He has had 1 Playoff series since he got traded and he performed well, so we'll see.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I'm not an expert on how these things work, but from what I understand, once you make Robinson a UFA, you're basically going on his word that he'll re-sign with you. And you also risk having to match a big offer or tying up cap space at a bad time.

Regardless, the Robinson QO was indeed made before the start of FA, so once the Heat made that decision... the Raps would presumably have leverage over the Heat. The only consideration at that point was pissing off Lowry.
        Need Dan to chime in but Miami had the space to sign Lowry to his current deal outright and did not need our help.

Comment

• Glad Derozan is having a great season but Kawhi >>>>> Derozan and that's all that matters. We won that trade and won a championship.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

It was talked about quite a bit with Trent's cap hold and qualifying offer. Since we gave him enough minutes, he earned a higher qualifying offer (into $5M instead of around $2M). A team, with the player's permission can renounce that qualifying offer, even after it was accepted. Right up until free agency. At that point they become UFA's instead of RFA's, but their cap hold goes back to under $2M. This has the risk of the player signing a contract elsewhere, and the team losing their ability to not being able to match that contract, thus losing their player. But with a wink-wink deal between the player and agent you could use that smaller cap hold to gain more flexibility in free agency to sign the player you want. Then bring them back using their small cap hold. This would be how we could get up to $20M to sign a guy like Holmes. We decided to do the S&T and forgo the cap space so it all became moot.

Carlos Boozer sort of had a similar type of deal though and it backfired. Cleveland had his option for around $700K but withdrew that option so he could become an RFA. This way he could get a bigger short term contract earlier (I guess back then they didn't have extensions). However Utah came back with a bigger offer and he signed that offer sheet.. that offer was way to big for Cleveland to match, and so they lost him. They could have just kept his option, and the player for 1 year.

Duncan Robinson had same type of contract as Trent as they were both 2nd round players. The feeling was that he was coming back to Miami one way or the other.. and he got handsomely paid for it. It was how they could get Lowry without needing a S&T. A whole article was written about it by a Heat blogger.

But the S&T benefitted them a few ways. They would not have been able to get PJ Tucker, as they would have had a smaller mid-level. One that the Bucks could have matched or exceeded likely. They also did Dragic a huge favour. Without picking up his option, he would have been a UFA, and easily gotten a deal much less than $19M. And Dragic was their "Lowry" so they did right by him.

Precious was a former FRP and one Riley really, really loved. I mean he gushed about him when he drafted him.. and that's unlike him. So it was a pretty big loss. But I don't think losing him was a necessity at all. In the end of the day the Heat got Lowry, Tucker, Oladipo (he came in as a vet minimum), and gave Robinson a big extension. Raptors got Precious and an expiring contract they could use for trade leverage (although that part seems to have backfired).

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              Glad Derozan is having a great season but Kawhi >>>>> Derozan and that's all that matters. We won that trade and won a championship.
              Yeah for sure. and JV is still playing well, while Marc retired from the game. I am even okay with the Lin signing because that butterfly effect also netted us a chip. It all worked out for us in the end.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

It was talked about quite a bit with Trent's cap hold and qualifying offer. Since we gave him enough minutes, he earned a higher qualifying offer (into $5M instead of around $2M). A team, with the player's permission can renounce that qualifying offer, even after it was accepted. Right up until free agency. At that point they become UFA's instead of RFA's, but their cap hold goes back to under $2M. This has the risk of the player signing a contract elsewhere, and the team losing their ability to not being able to match that contract, thus losing their player. But with a wink-wink deal between the player and agent you could use that smaller cap hold to gain more flexibility in free agency to sign the player you want. Then bring them back using their small cap hold. This would be how we could get up to $20M to sign a guy like Holmes. We decided to do the S&T and forgo the cap space so it all became moot.

Carlos Boozer sort of had a similar type of deal though and it backfired. Cleveland had his option for around $700K but withdrew that option so he could become an RFA. This way he could get a bigger short term contract earlier (I guess back then they didn't have extensions). However Utah came back with a bigger offer and he signed that offer sheet.. that offer was way to big for Cleveland to match, and so they lost him. They could have just kept his option, and the player for 1 year.

Duncan Robinson had same type of contract as Trent as they were both 2nd round players. The feeling was that he was coming back to Miami one way or the other.. and he got handsomely paid for it. It was how they could get Lowry without needing a S&T. A whole article was written about it by a Heat blogger.

But the S&T benefitted them a few ways. They would not have been able to get PJ Tucker, as they would have had a smaller mid-level. One that the Bucks could have matched or exceeded likely. They also did Dragic a huge favour. Without picking up his option, he would have been a UFA, and easily gotten a deal much less than $19M. And Dragic was their "Lowry" so they did right by him.

Precious was a former FRP and one Riley really, really loved. I mean he gushed about him when he drafted him.. and that's unlike him. So it was a pretty big loss. But I don't think losing him was a necessity at all. In the end of the day the Heat got Lowry, Tucker, Oladipo (he came in as a vet minimum), and gave Robinson a big extension. Raptors got Precious and an expiring contract they could use for trade leverage (although that part seems to have backfired).

Good breakdown - makes sense. The guy I was forgetting was Nunn, who I thought they were for sure going to re-sign - but letting him go would have taken their cap space up to 28-29M, in the non S&T scenario which was just enough to sign Lowry outright to the number he was looking for.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Need Dan to chime in but Miami had the space to sign Lowry to his current deal outright and did not need our help.
                  they did but it limited the amount of money lowry could have yielded. also the original amount was reported as higher which is why more was "included in the deal but then Miami probably got caught up because neither side could find a third team for dragic. Raptors could have said ok we will play hardball and screwed lowry out of the amount he made. It is why Lowry signed for 5 million less than the original amount. So he already took a hit.

The thing is Lowry likely wanted either money or years regarding contract.

Comment

• Jalen Green, crazy statline in first half, so far: 3 for 5; 20pts, 0ast, 0reb, 0blk, 0stl

Comment

• DeMar… no way. Lol.

Comment

• DeRozan hit another game winner lmao. #MVP
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Its time to test Derozan lol

Comment

• I'm just glad LeBron didn't believe in him enough.

Comment

• Switched over to the stream with 1 minute left, because I felt some more magic was about to happen. And had a smile on my face when Kuzma left a little more than 3 seconds on the clock for DeRozan. He's been great. Hope he gets the MVP. Rooting for him.

Comment

• that's why you don't bother with these headcases
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X