No announcement yet.

Everything 2021-2022 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joel looked really slow and fat against the Celtics in the bubble. The season they got swept. I remember Bill Simmons ripping him apart after that series (was listening for his take on the Celtics as we'd be playing them in the next round).

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

This isn't a knock on Nurse, because it's no different than when Masai kept going out and getting defense-minded players to fit Casey's needs: like perimeter defenders (CoJo, Delon, Norm), big wing defenders (PJ Tucker, Carroll), rim protectors (Ibaka, Biz) & mobile bigs (Siakam, Jakob) to remove the constant excuses Casey made about not being able to execute his defense, despite being a "defensive coach".

All great front offices align with their coaching staffs to bring in personnel to fit the system. Why should the Raptors be different? It makes literally no sense if they weren't on the same page.
      Yes, successful coaching staffs and front offices are aligned but I'm not sure it follows that Nurse is dictating personnel decisions as you are implying (or perhaps outright stating he is making the decisions, which I seems to be the gist of your posts).

I think far more influential than Nurse is the front office simply trying to exploit a market inefficiency. Because Toronto can't attract free agents and trades in the NBA are difficult to make, they need to extract lots of value from their homegrown guys, so they are drafting high upside guys with flaws hoping they can unlock that value and benefit from it. Every team wants three point shooting so the value isn't there but if they can get guys no one wants for cheap and extract value then that's a hug benefit in the aggregate. If every team starts drafting those guys, then I can imagine Toronto pivoting to some other inefficiency (much like Tampa Bay has done throughout the years in baseball).

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
        So they're not trading for a sharpshooter then.
        Wait for guys to develop their marksmanship, and in 2 years lose them to other teams ?
        We did pretty well teaching Siakam, Fred and OG to shoot and also keeping them.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

He kinda of has a point
          Sure he does, in that moment. Then, as a grown man, you close the doors and air your grievances and figure this shit out. Shaq and Kobe did plenty worse to each other in middle of 3 titles. Fucking softies man, month to month with PTSD because your coach and center were a little passive aggressive right after a brutal loss.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Yes, successful coaching staffs and front offices are aligned but I'm not sure it follows that Nurse is dictating personnel decisions as you are implying (or perhaps outright stating he is making the decisions, which I seems to be the gist of your posts).

I think far more influential than Nurse is the front office simply trying to exploit a market inefficiency. Because Toronto can't attract free agents and trades in the NBA are difficult to make, they need to extract lots of value from their homegrown guys, so they are drafting high upside guys with flaws hoping they can unlock that value and benefit from it. Every team wants three point shooting so the value isn't there but if they can get guys no one wants for cheap and extract value then that's a hug benefit in the aggregate. If every team starts drafting those guys, then I can imagine Toronto pivoting to some other inefficiency (much like Tampa Bay has done throughout the years in baseball).

Lol. I love how the internet works to try and win debates. My point is that I don't think the roster decisions are 100% on Masai & Bobby, as others have been stating blatantly. You take that position and twist it, beautifully, to your strawman: " it's not 100% Nurse dictating, like you are implying or outright stating."

No... it's neither 100% Masai/Bobby or 100% Nurse. Both parties bear some blame/praise for the current roster. In this case we're talking lack of depth. It's a partnership.

Either the offensively-challenged market inefficiency theory is flawed, or the night school shooting lessons aren't working.... or it all just needs too long of a time-frame to come together. Not sure. Regardless, the results haven't been there for years now. And it's on all of them.
            Last edited by golden; Tue Feb 1, 2022, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• We have pretty much the youngest team in the league and we're also pretty good.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                We have pretty much the youngest team in the league and we're also pretty good.
                That should be the 2021/2022 franchise slogan.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Sure he does, in that moment. Then, as a grown man, you close the doors and air your grievances and figure this shit out. Shaq and Kobe did plenty worse to each other in middle of 3 titles. Fucking softies man, month to month with PTSD because your coach and center were a little passive aggressive right after a brutal loss.
                  Isn't by raising the issue that Simmons is upset that because he didn't blame Embiid for the loss against the Raps, that he does in fact blames him but choose to remain quiet about it?!

Soft ass players.

Simmons should have tore into Embiid by acting like a clown in one game with the airplane motion during the game and stinking up the joint the following game and that should have happened face to face in the locker room. I don't think a player who isn't a leader deserve a max contract unless he leads by example.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

We did pretty well teaching Siakam, Fred and OG to shoot and also keeping them.
                    And we still need at least one.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Lol. I love how the internet works to try and win debates. My point is that I don't think the roster decisions are 100% on Masai & Bobby, as others have been stating blatantly. You take that position and twist it, beautifully, to your strawman: " it's not 100% Nurse dictating, like you are implying or outright stating."

No... it's neither 100% Masai/Bobby or 100% Nurse. Both parties bear some blame/praise for the current roster. In this case we're talking lack of depth. It's a partnership.

Either the offensively-challenged market inefficiency theory is flawed, or the night school shooting lessons aren't working.... or it all just needs too long of a time-frame to come together. Not sure. Regardless, the results haven't been there for years now. And it's on all of them.
                      If you agree that it's a collective decision making process and blame is shared then you're agreeing with me and pretty much everyone else on here. Not sure that's the point you've been making in numerous posts (given that it's trite not sure why you'd need so many posts to make that simple statement) but it's certainly agreeable.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

If you agree that it's a collective decision making process and blame is shared then you're agreeing with me and pretty much everyone else on here. Not sure that's the point you've been making in numerous posts (given that it's trite not sure why you'd need so many posts to make that simple statement) but it's certainly agreeable.
                        According to almost everyone here... roster construction is 100% on Masai & Bobby. I've literally stated the same things you just agreed with here and gotten major pushback from pretty much everybody.... except you... just now.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Hypothetical question then. Isn't the best coach a coach who can put their players in a position to win and one that can be flexible?
                          I don't think so. I think the best coach is one who has a winning system and gets pieces that fit his system. You've got 7-10 guys playing regularly, you cant flex your system to accommodate each of their games. They need to make their games fit the system (ideally when we acquire them it's because they fit already).

Dragic wasn't the player we wanted, he was salary filler to get Precious. Nurse tried to get Dragic to adjust his game to our system and he wouldn't, so he became a DNP-CD. I don't see anything wrong with that. I think it's better than running a different system to accommodate Dragic at the expense of the development of everyone else.

????

Comment

• Nicks in the war room on draft day its obviously a shared decision. Hes not there to watch

Comment

• It would be crazy and stupid for the front office to not discuss basketball related matters with their coach.

Comment

• There's a reason why GM/coaches combos didn't work in NBA. Thibs and SVG. You can't make coaching decisions and roster decisions effectively. I'm sure they listened to Nurse but they are not paying a whole team of scouts and ddin't get that whole IBM Watson thing just so Nurse could veto any decision.

Coach is paid to coach. I'm not going to go and evaluate Nurse based on roster acquisitions.
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X