Everything 2021-2022 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Playing hard is Lowry's legacy. #Culture.

Also a shot at Dame & CJ.
    Demar and Kyle both set the tone, the culture. How to walk the walk and represent the Toronto Raptors. You still see it today in Fred, Pascal and OG who are now passing it to Gary, scottie and precious.

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Demar and Kyle both set the tone, the culture. How to walk the walk and represent the Toronto Raptors. You still see it today in Fred, Pascal and OG who are now passing it to Gary, scottie and precious.

Kyle and DeMar brought different things to the culture. DeMar brought the "work hard AF in the summer to improve your skills and learn how to play the right way" work ethic. He introduced the young'uns to the SoCal basketball off-season training circuit: Drew League, Rico Hines runs, etc....

Norm, Delon, Pascal, Fred & OG followed in his footsteps. Newbies like Terence Davis, Dewan, Matt Thomas, Stanley, etc.. all showed up for those summer runs as a team. We now take it for granted that continuous improvement and chemistry of our players is a given, but that wasn't always the Raptor Way.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

A lot of their wins were against soft opponents.. and when they played a tough team, like Miami, Jimmy/Kyle and PJ took the game off. But it could give them some momentum. I'd be surprised if they didn't make the play-in.

Nets are in a free fall, but assuming they stay above 7.. the four play-in teams appear to be Toronto, Boston, Charlotte and Atlanta. I have zero faith in Washington and NY.

That's a tough 4 IMO.
        With the way we're playing the 6 seed is still well within reach. We're finally healthy and we're beating good teams, I'm not gonna doubt us right now.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

With the way we're playing the 6 seed is still well within reach. We're finally healthy and we're beating good teams, I'm not gonna doubt us right now.
          We're beating teams, in part, because we've tightened the rotation. The question is: how long can this rotation keep playing these heavy minutes before somebody gets injured? In theory, most teams would/should play their top 5 players 48 minutes (or more) if there was no downside.

Comment

Kyle and DeMar brought different things to the culture. DeMar brought the "work hard AF in the summer to improve your skills and learn how to play the right way" work ethic. He introduced the young'uns to the SoCal basketball off-season training circuit: Drew League, Rico Hines runs, etc....

Norm, Delon, Pascal, Fred & OG followed in his footsteps. Newbies like Terence Davis, Dewan, Matt Thomas, Stanley, etc.. all showed up for those summer runs as a team. We now take it for granted that continuous improvement and chemistry of our players is a given, but that wasn't always the Raptor Way.
            We can give Kyle in game intensity and give demar off season work ethic, but I'm still also talking about character. They're both great men, and that means something. Star players without the baggage. Confident without arrogance. Raptors are never In the headlines for the wrong reasons, we had that one knucklehead terrence Davis and we sent him to the knucklehead farm in Sacramento where he's free to run around with all the other knuckleheads

Comment

We can give Kyle in game intensity and give demar off season work ethic, but I'm still also talking about character. They're both great men, and that means something. Star players without the baggage. Confident without arrogance. Raptors are never In the headlines for the wrong reasons, we had that one knucklehead terrence Davis and we sent him to the knucklehead farm in Sacramento where he's free to run around with all the other knuckleheads
              Let’s not forget that Lowry was a pain in the ass to his coach and disruptive in practice. AI was his idol, so it makes perfect sense. When they toss the ball up, nobody competes harder. But he was also a bit a of a d*ck, tbh, until he was finally validated. He needed a teammate he respected, like Demar, to be a buffer. Winning cured all.

Comment

We're beating teams, in part, because we've tightened the rotation. The question is: how long can this rotation keep playing these heavy minutes before somebody gets injured? In theory, most teams would/should play their top 5 players 48 minutes (or more) if there was no downside.
                we have started to open it up a little bit in the past few games so that's a good sign but yeah we need another "guy"

Comment

Let’s not forget that Lowry was a pain in the ass to his coach and disruptive in practice. AI was his idol, so it makes perfect sense. When they toss the ball up, nobody competes harder. But he was also a bit a of a d*ck, tbh, until he was finally validated. He needed a teammate he respected, like Demar, to be a buffer. Winning cured all.
                  He was a bit of a dick yes but who cares at this point. AI was a drunk (and driving), cheating, womanizer who broke the law constantly and physically assaulted a lot of people in late night arguments at the bar...

Kyle is a good human, father, still with his high school sweetheart. Doesn't drink, doesn't smoke. In 15 years in the NBA the worst headline about him is "Coaches find him prickly".

Comment

He was a bit of a dick yes but who cares at this point. AI was a drunk (and driving), cheating, womanizer who broke the law constantly and physically assaulted a lot of people in late night arguments at the bar...

Kyle is a good human, father, still with his high school sweetheart. Doesn't drink, doesn't smoke. In 15 years in the NBA the worst headline about him is "Coaches find him prickly".
                    I don't know Lowry well enough, personally, to declare him a "good human", but I'm not disagreeing either. I'm just re-stating the same thing.... that Kyle & DeMar contributed to the culture in different ways that were synergistic. Kyle's squeeze was worth the juice... so that's why they put up with his d*ckheadness. Like Masai said... he would have traded his ass long ago, otherwise.... and he almost did.

Just because somebody is great at one (or many) things.... it doesn't mean you aren't allowed to point out that they aren't perfect (or even a negative) in other areas. Both statements can be true. In fact, it IS true for all humans. It drives people on forum boards who idolize those people into defensive mode, though, I know.

Comment

• I'm not going to judge Kyle for being a prick to Casey or Kevin McHale. Those guys deserved it.
                      He loved Adelman though.
                      Last edited by MixxAOR; Thu Feb 3, 2022, 03:14 PM.
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I don't know Lowry well enough, personally, to declare him a "good human", but I'm not disagreeing either. I'm just re-stating the same thing.... that Kyle & DeMar contributed to the culture in different ways that were synergistic. Kyle's squeeze was worth the juice... so that's why they put up with his d*ckheadness. Like Masai said... he would have traded his ass long ago, otherwise.... and he almost did.

Just because somebody is great at one (or many) things.... it doesn't mean you aren't allowed to point out that they aren't perfect (or even a negative) in other areas. Both statements can be true. In fact, it IS true for all humans. It drives people on forum boards who idolize those people into defensive mode, though, I know.
                        Again though I push back. Kyles "dickheadness" is part of his leadership and culture changing, not despite it. Compare him to nice guy Mike Conley. Similar stats similar talent, couldn't change a culture or lead a team if life depended on it.

Comment

• Kyle needed to grow and learn how to channel his intensity towards the right things and times.

Comment

Again though I push back. Kyles "dickheadness" is part of his leadership and culture changing, not despite it. Compare him to nice guy Mike Conley. Similar stats similar talent, couldn't change a culture or lead a team if life depended on it.
                            Let's be honest: Conley would have been at least a 3-time all-star in the East during the same #WeTheNorth period, especially if he was backed by Masai. Lowry doesn't sniff an all-star nod if he's in the West.

Comment

• I think being a dad changed kyle a lot

what i really liked was when he said his best memory here was watching and helping teammates grow. He really tried as pgs and leaders should to make his team mates look better

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                                Kyle needed to grow and learn how to channel his intensity towards the right things and times.
                                Exactly. Let's not try to re-write history books.

Lowry matured after he was personally validated and got his flowers. The guy was still throwing Masai under the bus in 2018-19 when ESPN came here for the game of the week, embarrassing him on Giants of Africa day. He still had some growing up to do, is the right way to put it.
                                Last edited by golden; Thu Feb 3, 2022, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X