Everything Svi Mykhailiuk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saints91 wrote: View Post
    Seems like a good pickup, I've been doing some reading and he appears to be working hard on his D and has improved quite a bit. He doesn't have the greatest lateral quickness and has the negative wingspan, so he's limited in that way. If he knows where to be on D, and puts in the effort, he can be serviceable on that end.

The key with him is being able to get open. Matty Ice was a knock down shooter but struggled to relocate and get separation. Reddick has been able to stay in the league because he has an elite motor, he's constantly relocating, and running off screens, to create that separation. Svi has that extra height and strength which helps. Hopefully he'll be an impactful player for us.
    Raptor fans: "Can we get Duncan Robinson as well?!"

Masai: "We got Duncan Robinson at home!"

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
      Seems like a good pickup, I've been doing some reading and he appears to be working hard on his D and has improved quite a bit. He doesn't have the greatest lateral quickness and has the negative wingspan, so he's limited in that way. If he knows where to be on D, and puts in the effort, he can be serviceable on that end.

The key with him is being able to get open. Matty Ice was a knock down shooter but struggled to relocate and get separation. Reddick has been able to stay in the league because he has an elite motor, he's constantly relocating, and running off screens, to create that separation. Svi has that extra height and strength which helps. Hopefully he'll be an impactful player for us.
      I'm not expecting too much from Svi.

For one, Raptors rarely run those type of "Reddick" plays for shooters, as first options... like double screens and such. It's almost all semi-spontaneous drive & kick outs to stationary shooters from penetration and pretty much always like that when Fred runs the offense.

Secondly, people keep saying that Svi is a shooter? Yes, he 'looks' like a shooter, but does he actually knock down those shots? I mean, Svi shot 33% or less from 3, in 2 out of the 3 years he's been in the league. For a guy that does only that one thing... that's not encouraging. Feels like he's going to be a very streaky shooter that might get hot for a 2-3 out of 10 games. That said, that's the type of hot/cold shooter that steals you a game vs a superior opponent on a random Wednesday night in January. We've been on the receiving end many times.

Comment

Appears to be a guaranteed deal. So camp battles are down to 2 spots (3 if they don't care about/have a plan for the tax) for Yuta, Gillespie, Wainright, Bonga and Dekker. Note that keeping Gillespie would mean projecting as in the tax (if Trent earns his bonuses) even at 14 guys.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
          Appears to be a guaranteed deal. So camp battles are down to 2 spots (3 if they don't care about/have a plan for the tax) for Yuta, Gillespie, Wainright, Bonga and Dekker. Note that keeping Gillespie would mean projecting as in the tax (if Trent earns his bonuses) even at 14 guys.
          I think Gillespie is a goner, he totally shit the bed all summer league. Cut him and offer him a G-League deal. I think Yuta is in for sure. I'd say the other 3 are fighting over the last spot, with Wainright being the leader for getting a spot.

Comment

There still could be a potential Dragic trade looming. If we do that we could be bringing back more players and that could mean there are even less spots available.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              There still could be a potential Dragic trade looming. If we do that we could be bringing back more players and that could mean there are even less spots available.
              True. Though it depends on the deal - maybe some of the players coming back are just filler, in which case if they can do it in the off-season, they can cut those guys and not take up more roster spots while clearing tax room. But I imagine there will be at least one player of interest coming back, so certainly unlikely they clear a spot.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I've had my eye on Svi since he played at Kansas with Wiggins. He's a smart player who has figured out what he needs to do to carve out a spot in the NBA. He hasn't been in a stable situation since he got drafted so this is his big opportunity. He's going to get some chances to play, especially on those nights that Gary Trent blows cold.

Comment

HollyGoLightly wrote: View Post
                  I've had my eye on Svi since he played at Kansas with Wiggins. He's a smart player who has figured out what he needs to do to carve out a spot in the NBA...
                  What would you say are his three strongest skills?

Comment

One trick phony. Poor man's Matt Thomas.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post
                      One trick phony. Poor man's Matt Thomas.
                      I don't know how you figure. Apparently he's not even a "true shooter", though he did shoot 41% from 3 at Kansas. But he is pretty big, can run the floor and has solid athleticism. He's a roleplaying shooter not a unidimensional one.

So...not at all like Matt Thomas.
                      Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Fri Sep 17, 2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Let's go to the tape!

(Check out the block at 1:57)

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

I don't know how you figure. Apparently he's not even a "true shooter", though he did shoot 41% from 3 at Kansas. But he is pretty big, can run the floor and has solid athleticism. He's a roleplaying shooter not a unidimensional one.

So...not at all like Matt Thomas.
                          Haha, I feel like Great One gave us the "he's a white boy" analysis where you just assume they only shoot 3's. In fairness, that analysis is correct 80% of the time.

Comment

Better than Matt Thomas. That's about it..
                            "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                            My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Working...
                            X