Reviewing the Preseason Offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviewing the Preseason Offense

I'm sick, so I thought I'd throw together some charts that review the preseason stats. These include all preseason games, and the only times I cut out a player is when their total minutes were under 40 (this included Chuck, Landry, Bebe), because their outliers distorted the graphs.

What really stood out to me was that Val was 8th in FGA/game and 9th in FGA/minute, but 3rd in True Shooting %.

Casey has talked a lot about wanting to get our bigs involved, but it never seems to happen.

You might say, sure, but we were 7-1 in preseason.... that doesn't matter. Preseason is a time to experiment and get our guys necessary reps. What is the point of having not one but two really efficient bigs (Val and Amir) if we aren't going to get them involved in our offense???

Comment

Dope stuff man. Im def a proponent of getting Val a lot more involved in the offense. Amir for that matter too. Lots more touches for our bigs. And better ball movement. Ball movement is good. That is all.

Comment

Also interesting to note that TRoss had the second-worst true shooting percentage while tying DeMar for the most field goal attempts overall this preseason. The difference is that TRoss only shot ten free throws (against 78 FGA), while DeMar shot almost four times that many.

And after shooting 8 three point attempts in his first three games, DeMar did not take another in his last four. Meanwhile, almost half of TRoss's shots were threes, but he only made 25% of them.

As a team, our three point percentage was an ugly 31.6%, due to Ross, Patman (29.4%), and Greivis (30.4%). It's preseason, so nothing to be terribly concerned about, but something to keep your eye on going forward. It felt to me like other teams were playing us tighter on the perimeter, and this might be an early consequence.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
          Also interesting to note that TRoss had the second-worst true shooting percentage while tying DeMar for the most field goal attempts overall this preseason. The difference is that TRoss only shot ten free throws (against 78 FGA), while DeMar shot almost four times that many.

And after shooting 8 three point attempts in his first three games, DeMar did not take another in his last four. Meanwhile, almost half of TRoss's shots were threes, but he only made 25% of them.

As a team, our three point percentage was an ugly 31.6%, due to Ross, Patman (29.4%), and Greivis (30.4%). It's preseason, so nothing to be terribly concerned about, but something to keep your eye on going forward. It felt to me like other teams were playing us tighter on the perimeter, and this might be an early consequence.
          3 pt shooting is a concern but we need to rebound better

Comment

Youre not gonna win in the playoffs without jv and amir. That's the only advantage we have over Cleveland
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

rightsideup wrote: View Post
              3 pt shooting is a concern but we need to rebound better
              Ding ding ding

Also, if they're playing us tighter on the perimeter, that probably opens up our inside game more. More touches for JV?
              OG is our king

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
                Ding ding ding

Also, if they're playing us tighter on the perimeter, that probably opens up our inside game more. More touches for JV?
                It's the other way around. We're not effecting any kind of inside game, so opponents are playing tight on the perimeter.

(I'm not too worried about rebounding unless we play a lot of three-guard lineups. We were 11th/12th in offensive/defensive rebounding last year, and we didn't lose any of our best rebounders.)

I just wonder if our offense is about to feel the brunt of heavier scouting this year. And I didn't catch much in the way of new looks this preseason to compensate.

Comment

well JV is averaging these stats within his existing role and in this existing offense right now. So question: Is JV averaging those stats because of the system or in spite of it? Will the change in system mean change in those stats? Can he carry more offensive load?

Not gonna get into small sample size and who was guarding him.
                  Last edited by MixxAOR; Sat Oct 25, 2014, 06:04 AM.
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    Considering the front court takes higher percentage shots, this graph is the most disconcerting.

Comment

Give Jonas' more touches for Christ sake
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        Youre not gonna win in the playoffs without jv and amir. That's the only advantage we have over Cleveland
                        Crazily, the Raps may have the advantage over Cleveland at 3 of the 5 positions. One of those positions is a doozy of a difference though.
                        That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

I also don't think we should be taking too much away from preseason offense. You want the outside shooters to take more shots in the preseason, because it is more important for them to be able to find their shooting touch than the inside guys. Remember, you aren't trying to win games in the preseason, you're just trying to get ready for the season.

Also: Jordan Hamilton, superstar?
                          That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Nice effort, Scraptor. Ross didn't have a great pre-season - hopefully the problem is adjusting to his added weight and strength. Sometimes bulking up can affect the shooter's touch.

The other thing is that depth was supposed to be our strength, but the bench offense has been really out of sync - especially last night against the Knicks. Lou Williams is a nice addition, but I wonder if his playing style messes up the chemistry. He doesn't have much chemistry with Vasquez or 2-Pat yet.

Comment

Obviously the lack of involvement of our bigs is annoying....

But once again, it's preseason. It's hard to take much away. Some coaches have really bullish approaches where they don't implement any new tactics in the preseason so as to not give opponents scouting material.

Comment

Working...
                              X