Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HollyGoLightly
    replied
    I think Flynn is going to be a revelation. He looked terrific in Summer League--aggressive and confident. He was building a nice chemistry with Precious over the course of a few games and his ability in the P-n-R is going to be a highlight this year. He also has that killer instinct in the 4th quarter and heats up when it matters most. He's ready and knows this is his time. Plus, he will singlehandedly end the Barnes vs. Suggs debate.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    I had zero expectations for Dragic playing much for the Raps this season, but it's starting to sound like he might be on board. As good of a steady vet presence to fill the void which Lowry left behind. Even if he wants an eventual trade he should be motivated to play well for the Raps so he can showcase to other teams.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    Blue Jays will exceed expectations.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post

Very much agreed. How about a collective exceed expectations - all three of Siakam, OG, and Fred get serious All-Star consideration. You don't get 3 guys in unless your team's at the top of the conference, so that's unlikely, but Siakam's been there already, Fred got some late chatter last season (Raptors slow start kept him out of serious consideration), and it would be a new tier for OG to reach but his name is gradually getting around the league. The league loves scoring, so OG needs to step up the ppg by 2-4, all three need to start well, the team needs to start well, then they get serious consideration and one should make it (if all that happens), maybe two. I'll put that in as 'exceeds expectations,' that's the most optimistic outcome for those three guys to kick off the year.
    This is a good reason to be optimistic about this season. We have 3 guys that should be All Star level this year. 2 way players who can drop 20 points any given night. I just don't see us being bad with this much talent.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    Jclaw wrote: View Post
    I guess the hype on Barnes has grown too large for him to exceed expectations?
    The only way he'll blow my expectations if he's FMVP in his first year

Leave a comment:

• Just Is
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Exceeding expectations would be, by definition, a surprise. So no worries there.

BTW. There were a few astute members on this forum who thought Wood was going to be a good player, as far back as 2016.

https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/f...istian-wood-pf
    I'm glad to have some vindication on this one. I wanted him in that draft and after he went undrafted; I wanted him at least on the 905.

For the topic on hand; the Raptor I would most put my money on for exceeding expectation is maybe a toss up between Flynn and Yuta although I feel OG is probably the safest pick.
    Last edited by Just Is; Wed Sep 8, 2021, 05:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Pretty much. At this point he's probably have to average over 18/6/5++ to blow us away.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post
    OG seems poised for another step up and will be in All Star contention.

Trent should look a lot better than last year now that he's had time to learn the system.

I also think Fred will take his game to another level now that Lowry is gone. I think he'll be considered one of the better players in the league this year.
    Very much agreed. How about a collective exceed expectations - all three of Siakam, OG, and Fred get serious All-Star consideration. You don't get 3 guys in unless your team's at the top of the conference, so that's unlikely, but Siakam's been there already, Fred got some late chatter last season (Raptors slow start kept him out of serious consideration), and it would be a new tier for OG to reach but his name is gradually getting around the league. The league loves scoring, so OG needs to step up the ppg by 2-4, all three need to start well, the team needs to start well, then they get serious consideration and one should make it (if all that happens), maybe two. I'll put that in as 'exceeds expectations,' that's the most optimistic outcome for those three guys to kick off the year.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Both with long terms. 80 mill guaranteed is a lot for D-Rob.
    Agreed, that is a lot for Robinson considering he took a bit of a step back in his third season. Typically young players show the most growth in year 3.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    I do think Gary is going to impress relative to the mediocre expectations I see out there. I'm betting you can pencil him in for 19 points with solid contributions besides. He's at maybe our one position we don't run 3 or four deep (unless you count Goran, Ish, OG).
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Wed Sep 8, 2021, 04:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post
    I brought it up before that Norm and Duncan Robinson got the same per year this summer. Why is Trent Jr's contract such an overpay when comparing to what Norm and DR received?
    Both with long terms. 80 mill guaranteed is a lot for D-Rob.

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    saints91 wrote: View Post
    I agree we need him to be aggressive, but I also think he should pick his spots, and know when he needs to take over. His career assist rate is 1.3 a game, and that's noticeable watching him. Historically many of the great shooters still have that ability to spread the ball around. He's a talented player, he just needs to round out his game.
    The assists will go up when you start to attract more attention from the opposing D. Goes like this:

Be aggressive with good shots (meaning never pass open looks, move off-ball and work to get open, start slashing to the rim when you see a lane) ---> attract help coverage from the opposing defence ---> find the open man (assists)

Great shooters typically spread the ball around because they attract more than 1 guy (or guys having to close-out aggressively on them), so they can move the ball for the assist.

There are 4 main perils on this team's offence the way I see it:
    1. Pascal static iso's in the clutch
    2. Fred barreling to rim vs a set defence with no pick and roll to open things up and getting stuffed (or dribbling it out way too long into the shot clock looking for his shot)
    3. People passing up good shots in the clutch because they're not the anointed "closer"
    4. With Lowry gone and no solid screen setter, lack of space creation and proper pick and roll on the half-court offence.

Trent being aggressive can mitigate the first 3. Fourth one could be taken care of by Barnes developing as PG, and/or Flynn taking another step.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    I agree we need him to be aggressive, but I also think he should pick his spots, and know when he needs to take over. His career assist rate is 1.3 a game, and that's noticeable watching him. Historically many of the great shooters still have that ability to spread the ball around. He's a talented player, he just needs to round out his game.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post

Was he a chucker in Portland too? There wasn't much consistency to the line ups he played with in Toronto and was often the only shooter on the floor. Gotta take that into consideration.
    From what I've read, there's not a shot he doesn't like... so it sounds that way. When CJ was injured he was throwing them up.
    Last edited by saints91; Wed Sep 8, 2021, 01:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X