Raptors 2021-2022 Preseason + Training Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

Svi already replaced Thomas. He's our much better version who can shoot and defend and play make. Everyone forget already we signed Svi? Svi is our 11th or 12th man right now. No idea where any minutes for Dekker are going to come from.

The 15th roster spot should absolutely be used on a project because they won't get any minutes. Bonga has a lot of potential so I hope it's him. We pay him the min and develop him on the 905 and maybe he's an absolute steal in a year. Dekker is what he is, a streaky shooter who flunked out of the NBA. He may go off like he did our last pre-season game, and he may miss every single shot like he did the game before that. You can't depend on him at this level. If we go with Dekker I won't be pissed because it's the 15th spot and ultimately doesn't matter but I don't see any good reason for it to be Dekker.
    Won't be the back of the bench completely since we have some guys destined for the G-league (like Banton and the two 2-way contracts). But I do agree that we typically use the back of the bench for youth. I just think that we have so much youth on this team right now, that it would be more beneficial to get a bit more actual veteran depth.

I think Svi was more like Terence Davis in that he impacted the games in multiple ways. Where as Matt Thomas only had one play in his playbook. I think we need another Davis on this roster. The quick fire 3pt gunslinger that we could use to space the floor or get a 3 when we desperately need one.

Plus I think a guy like Dekker would have more trade value than someone like Bonga. Especially at the deadline when buyers are playoff teams. Could get a 2nd round pick for Dekker from a team that's desperate for some more shooting. Just like we got out of Matt this past season.

Comment

• Harry Giles released by the Clips just now.
      Hartenstein beat him out for the final roster spot.

Would be outta left field and mean losing one more of the Bonga/Dekker/Ish brigade.

Seems unlikely at this stage but ya never know…

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
        Harry Giles released by the Clips just now.

Would be outta left field and mean losing one more of the Bonga/Dekker/Ish brigade.

I wouldn't mind giving Giles a shot.

Comment

Harry Giles released by the Clips just now.

That's a mild surprise.
          Would definitely be interesting. Might be worth the FO asking around about him.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post

That's a mild surprise.
            Would definitely be interesting. Might be worth the FO asking around about him.
            It’s not that much of a surprise when you consider they have Ibaka & Zubac and then it was a camp battle between Giles & Hartenstein.

Hartenstein has a pretty diverse skillset and won out. And they weren’t likely to be carrying 4 centers.

Question now is… did Giles lose out cause… he ain’t worth it? Or is this an opportunity to swoop in and pick up an asset.

He’s taller than 6’9 so perhaps that doesn’t help his chances.

Still though, he’s young and in need of development and would give us that big body we lack.

Tough call.

I trust Raps to do what’s best.

Comment

It’s not that much of a surprise when you consider they have Ibaka & Zubac and then it was a camp battle between Giles & Hartenstein.

Hartenstein has a pretty diverse skillset and won out. And they weren’t likely to be carrying 4 centers.

Question now is… did Giles lose out cause… he ain’t worth it? Or is this an opportunity to swoop in and pick up an asset.

He’s taller than 6’9 so perhaps that doesn’t help his chances.

Still though, he’s young and in need of development and would give us that big body we lack.

Tough call.

I trust Raps to do what’s best.
              Yeah, Hartenstein has gotten some attention on these boards. But with Serge having back issues last season I thought the Clips would try to find a way to keep both.

True, he is over 6-9, and the Raps are ..lol

Quick question, if they go after him, which 2 do the Raps cut?

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post

Yeah, Hartenstein has gotten some attention on these boards. But with Serge having back issues last season I thought the Clips would try to find a way to keep both.

True, he is over 6-9, and the Raps are ..lol

Quick question, if they go after him, which 2 do the Raps cut?
                you have Yuta.... I'd cut the other two for him or sign him on a 10 day and see what he has vs ish and make a decision based on the fact that ish has a later guarantee date.

Comment

• Ish Wainwright just got waived…

so it’s either Dekker and Bonga…

Or someone else 👀

Really enjoyed watching Ish, particularly in summer league. Seems like a great dude. Wish him luck and hope he finds a good spot somewhere.

Comment

• I don’t think there will be someone else, at least right now. It’ll be a matter of whether they want to keep an open spot or not
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                      I don’t think there will be someone else, at least right now. It’ll be a matter of whether they want to keep an open spot or not
                      As I said above, Giles would be the only guy that would perhaps give me pause…

Comment

As I said above, Giles would be the only guy that would perhaps give me pause…
                        so with ish out... dekker making the roster.. would you rather have bonga or giles?

Comment

• Bonga fits the future plans perfectly.
                          Giles fills an area of need and is young.
                          Haven’t really seen enough of Giles to say.
                          I’ll be happy either way.
                          (I certainly imagine there’s a much better chance it ends up being Bonga.)

Comment

• Remember, could be both Dekker and Bonga if the Raptors are willing to pay some sort of price to shed salary later to duck the tax, whether that's potentially a lesser return in a Dragic trade to ensure a salary decrease or an asset like a 2nd rounder or two going out with a salary. Would be a weird decision to keep two fringe guys instead of one, but it's a possibility.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• So Dekker made the team. Good stuff.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I was hoping for Dekker. Hope he catches on somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X