X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Raptors Waive Freddie Gillespie, Reggie Perry

October 13th, 2021 at 8:16am CST by Luke Adams

The Raptors have made a pair of roster cuts, announcing today in a press release that they’ve waived big men Freddie Gillespie and Reggie Perry.
      Gillespie, who went undrafted out of Baylor in 2020, averaged a double-double (10.5 PPG, 10.3 RPG) with 2.3 BPG in 15 games (27.8 MPG) for the Memphis Hustle in the G League’s Orlando bubble. That performance earned him a pair of 10-day contracts, then a multiyear deal, with the Raptors. He appeared in 20 games for Toronto down the stretch, recording 5.6 PPG, 4.9 RPG, and 1.0 BPG in 19.6 MPG.

Because Gillespie’s contract wasn’t guaranteed beyond the 2020/21 season, the Raptors won’t be on the hook for dead money as a result of releasing him.
      Like Gillespie, Perry was on a non-guaranteed deal. He was added to Toronto’s camp roster last month after being let go by Brooklyn earlier in the offseason. Perry spent his rookie year in 2020/21 on a two-way contract with the Nets, averaging 3.0 PPG and 2.8 RPG in 26 games (8.1 MPG) at the NBA level and putting up 18.1 PPG and 8.9 RPG in 15 games (28.8 MPG) for the Long Island Nets in the G League.
      Perry initially received a qualifying offer, but didn’t accept it, and Brooklyn ultimately took it off the table in mid-August, making the forward/center an unrestricted free agent.

The Raptors will still need to make at least one more cut before opening night next week, since four players – Yuta Watanabe, Sam Dekker, Isaac Bonga, and Ishmail Wainright – remain in the mix for three spots on the 15-man roster. Watanabe is considered a good bet to make the team, so the other players three may be competing for two spots, assuming Toronto carries a full 15-man squad into the regular season.

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
        Raptors Waive Freddie Gillespie, Reggie Perry

The Raptors have made a pair of roster cuts, announcing today in a press release that they’ve waived big men Freddie Gillespie and Reggie Perry.
        Gillespie, who went undrafted out of Baylor in 2020, averaged a double-double (10.5 PPG, 10.3 RPG) with 2.3 BPG in 15 games (27.8 MPG) for the Memphis Hustle in the G League’s Orlando bubble. That performance earned him a pair of 10-day contracts, then a multiyear deal, with the Raptors. He appeared in 20 games for Toronto down the stretch, recording 5.6 PPG, 4.9 RPG, and 1.0 BPG in 19.6 MPG.

Because Gillespie’s contract wasn’t guaranteed beyond the 2020/21 season, the Raptors won’t be on the hook for dead money as a result of releasing him.
        Like Gillespie, Perry was on a non-guaranteed deal. He was added to Toronto’s camp roster last month after being let go by Brooklyn earlier in the offseason. Perry spent his rookie year in 2020/21 on a two-way contract with the Nets, averaging 3.0 PPG and 2.8 RPG in 26 games (8.1 MPG) at the NBA level and putting up 18.1 PPG and 8.9 RPG in 15 games (28.8 MPG) for the Long Island Nets in the G League.
        Perry initially received a qualifying offer, but didn’t accept it, and Brooklyn ultimately took it off the table in mid-August, making the forward/center an unrestricted free agent.

The Raptors will still need to make at least one more cut before opening night next week, since four players – Yuta Watanabe, Sam Dekker, Isaac Bonga, and Ishmail Wainright – remain in the mix for three spots on the 15-man roster. Watanabe is considered a good bet to make the team, so the other players three may be competing for two spots, assuming Toronto carries a full 15-man squad into the regular season.

These cuts were expected. The next cut(s) will be more interesting.

My money is on Yuta and Bonga, with Ish if we keep 15.

Comment

• Comment

• GinobilisBaldSpot wrote: View Post
            Bonga, Dekker, Wainright and second round pick for Simmons?

Ok... the realistic trade when GTJ becomes eligible is:

To Sixers: Dragic + Boucher + Trent + pick (or Flynn)
            To Raps: Simmons + Curry

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
              Raptors Waive Freddie Gillespie, Reggie Perry

Well, Yuta isn't getting cut. The other guys listed are never going to play, so it doesn't really matter. It's a bit sad cause Gillespie is likely the only guy out of the 5 who might have had a chance to play regularly given the Raps lack of size.

Comment

• Lack of size, shmack of size.

Comment

• Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, Indiana, Minnesota, Portland, Sacramento, San Antonio and Toronto have all remained engaged with Philadelphia on trade talks centered around Ben Simmons, per @JakeLFischer
                  Mr. Fischer is still on top of some important stuff, doing his due diligence

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

That would thrust Dalano into a pretty big role right off the bat assuming we toss in Flynn as well, which I would be okay with. Honestly, this trade I wouldn't be too mad at.

Comment

• GinobilisBaldSpot wrote: View Post

That would thrust Dalano into a pretty big role right off the bat assuming we toss in Flynn as well, which I would be okay with. Honestly, this trade I wouldn't be too mad at.
                      Backup PG is one of the easiest positions to fill in the NBA.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I don't hate that trade, but I think we will need to see Trent Jr. have another 40+ point game for that to fly with Morey.

Comment

• Trent can't be traded until Jan 15. I think Philly will move Simmons before then. Especially if Ben is going to be sulking in the locker room creating a toxic environment.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Trent can't be traded until Jan 15. I think Philly will move Simmons before then. Especially if Ben is going to be sulking in the locker room creating a toxic environment.
                            I thought it was November?

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post

I don't hate that trade, but I think we will need to see Trent Jr. have another 40+ point game for that to fly with Morey.
                              Morey is a star hunter, so trading Simmons for non all-stars isn't going to happen. He's holding out for Lillard, but the best offer he's probably getting right now is CJ McCollum. The most likely best case for Philly is Beal.... maaaybe.... if he becomes available.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I thought it was November?
                                January. Since we used Bird Rights to re-sign him (and gave him a big raise).
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X