X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
    Raptors Waive Freddie Gillespie, Reggie Perry

October 13th, 2021 at 8:16am CST by Luke Adams

The Raptors have made a pair of roster cuts, announcing today in a press release that they’ve waived big men Freddie Gillespie and Reggie Perry.
    Gillespie, who went undrafted out of Baylor in 2020, averaged a double-double (10.5 PPG, 10.3 RPG) with 2.3 BPG in 15 games (27.8 MPG) for the Memphis Hustle in the G League’s Orlando bubble. That performance earned him a pair of 10-day contracts, then a multiyear deal, with the Raptors. He appeared in 20 games for Toronto down the stretch, recording 5.6 PPG, 4.9 RPG, and 1.0 BPG in 19.6 MPG.

Because Gillespie’s contract wasn’t guaranteed beyond the 2020/21 season, the Raptors won’t be on the hook for dead money as a result of releasing him.
    Like Gillespie, Perry was on a non-guaranteed deal. He was added to Toronto’s camp roster last month after being let go by Brooklyn earlier in the offseason. Perry spent his rookie year in 2020/21 on a two-way contract with the Nets, averaging 3.0 PPG and 2.8 RPG in 26 games (8.1 MPG) at the NBA level and putting up 18.1 PPG and 8.9 RPG in 15 games (28.8 MPG) for the Long Island Nets in the G League.
    Perry initially received a qualifying offer, but didn’t accept it, and Brooklyn ultimately took it off the table in mid-August, making the forward/center an unrestricted free agent.

The Raptors will still need to make at least one more cut before opening night next week, since four players – Yuta Watanabe, Sam Dekker, Isaac Bonga, and Ishmail Wainright – remain in the mix for three spots on the 15-man roster. Watanabe is considered a good bet to make the team, so the other players three may be competing for two spots, assuming Toronto carries a full 15-man squad into the regular season.

It looks they confirmed they'll pick up Yuta's option:

https://twitter.com/michaelgrange/st...216580101?s=20

So it's down to Dekker, Wainwright and Bonga.

I'd give the spot to Dekker (and to Wainwright if they're getting 2 of them). It would balance things out with spacing and shooting. Bonga is alright, but he's yet another athletic wing with limited shooting and limited use on a half court-offence (which should be the area we focus on trying to improve).

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

It looks they confirmed they'll pick up Yuta's option:

https://twitter.com/michaelgrange/st...216580101?s=20

So it's down to Dekker, Wainwright and Bonga.

I'd give the spot to Dekker (and to Wainwright if they're getting 2 of them). It would balance things out with spacing and shooting. Bonga is alright, but he's yet another athletic wing with limited shooting and limited use on a half court-offence (which should be the area we focus on trying to improve).
      I missed the game yesterday but did Dekker show enough? He seems to space the floor but I didn't watch the game. Bonga is very young and raw and we need to pick something that we don't have abundance in.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I missed the game yesterday but did Dekker show enough? He seems to space the floor but I didn't watch the game. Bonga is very young and raw and we need to pick something that we don't have abundance in.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

He had 18 pts (second highest scorer) in 16 minutes (third fewest minutes), 80% from 3. As a result, drew a ton of attention from the opposing defence, which helped open Flynn's game (who went for a team high 22 himself). Pretty much all of that in the 4th quarter of a neck-and-neck game, sealing the win.

I know we're not going to get that kind of dynamic every game, but that's an example of of how a shooter that truly spaces the floor can help the whole team. It's not only his individual raw points, it's also the space he creates for other players because of the attention he demands on the perimeter. Dekker does that, Bonga and wainwright, albeit good players, don't.

Dekker is also not a Matt Thomas clone. He's 6'9", he has no trouble finding space to get his shot up, and also taking it inside: had a nasty dunk yesterday, after someone closing out too strong on him (which they had to because otherwise he'll drain the 3)
          Last edited by inthepaint; Wed Oct 13, 2021, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

He had 18 pts (second highest scorer) in 16 minutes (third fewest minutes), 80% from 3. As a result, drew a ton of attention from the opposing defence, which helped open Flynn's game (who went for a team high 22 himself). Pretty much all of that in the 4th quarter of a neck-and-neck game, sealing the win.

I know we're not going to get that kind of dynamic every game, but that's an example of of how a shooter that truly spaces the floor can help the whole team. It's not only his individual raw points, it's also the space he creates for other players because of the attention he demands on the perimeter. Dekker does that, Bonga and wainwright, albeit good players, don't.

Dekker is also not a Matt Thomas clone. He's 6'9", he has no trouble finding space to get his shot up, and also taking it inside: had a nasty dunk yesterday, after someone closing out too strong on him (which they had to because otherwise he'll drain the 3)
            He's a pylon on D, though. Pretty much a death sentence on this Raps team if you want steady playing time. (This was the same issue with Matt Thomas, of course.) If he makes it, I expect it to be over Wainwright, but I'd rather have my 14-15 man be a glue guy like the latter, vs. a one-skill rifleman like Dekker.

Comment

• Can we stop with this Ben Simmons shit already...we drafted the rich mans Ben Simmons this year
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                Can we stop with this Ben Simmons shit already...we drafted the rich mans Ben Simmons this year
                So Magic Johnson....

Comment

• Limited Upside wrote: View Post

He's a pylon on D, though. Pretty much a death sentence on this Raps team if you want steady playing time. (This was the same issue with Matt Thomas, of course.) If he makes it, I expect it to be over Wainwright, but I'd rather have my 14-15 man be a glue guy like the latter, vs. a one-skill rifleman like Dekker.
                  Well, that's why he's on the 14th-15th man zone. If he was a lock-down defender on top of what he can do offensively, he'd be a starter. In that zone, you'll get players with limitations. Bonga for example, is entering his 4th year in the league (on his third team), and averages 3points, 2.5 rebounds and 1 assist. Average defender, nothing special on that end.

We got plenty of 'glue guys' with limited offence already; for me personally I'd rather balance that out with someone that knows how to put the ball in the basket and open the floor for others for a change, even if it's just for short spurts to throw the other team off and create some momentum for our main guys.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

So Magic Johnson....
                    btw here is Magic first NBA game: looks very familiar....

Comment

• I can’t believe Magic was only 20 years old, he looks so much older than Scottie.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                        I can’t believe Magic was only 20 years old, he looks so much older than Scottie.
                        Every 20 year old in 1980 looked like they were 42.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

So Magic Johnson....
                          Magic was almost as good, but Barnes is a better defender

Comment

• Magic did have that extra year in college, so maybe we should temper our expectations on Scottie.... but next year

Comment

• Just gotta keep Scottie away from the whoooores and we golden
                              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Raptors Signing Josh Hall To Exhibit 10 Contract

October 13th, 2021 at 3:50pm CST by Luke Adams

The Raptors are signing former Thunder forward Josh Hall to an Exhibit 10 contract, a source tells our JD Shaw (Twitter link).

Hall, 21, went undrafted in 2020, but caught on with Oklahoma City and spent his rookie season on a two-way contract with the team. He appeared in 21 games for the Thunder, averaging 4.1 PPG and 2.8 RPG in 16.0 minutes per contest. The 6’9″ forward has impressive athleticism, but struggled to score efficiently, posting a shooting line of .303/.108/.500.

The Thunder liked Hall enough to make him a restricted free agent this offseason, and he ended up signing his qualifying offer, briefly occupying one of the team’s two-way slots. However, Oklahoma City opted to go in another direction with that spot and waived Hall last month when Paul Watson was signed to a two-way contract.

The Raptors already have a handful of veterans on partially guaranteed contracts vying for the final spots on their 15-man regular season roster, so Hall appears likely to end up as an affiliate player for Toronto’s G League squad, the Raptors 905.

Comment

Working...
                                X