No announcement yet.

Raptors 2021-2022 Preseason + Training Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I was reading more about Sam Dekker’s controversial past. Just wondering what others take on it is?

Obviously the twitter comment regarding white culture was in poor taste. I get what he was trying to say, but I think saying it is insensitive. So 👎 on that incident.

The JR Smith thing is just weird. He doesn’t come out and say anything definitively except he didn’t like Dekker because Dekker said something positive about Trump. JR Smith said he’s the only teammate he never liked. I wish there was more insight into that.

I’m sure the coaching staff and front office will make sure that he fits in with the group. By the sounds of it Dekker is loving the chemistry. With the competition as tight as it is i wonder if that will play a role in their decision.

Comment

• My vote is Dekker and Wainwright. When we get a game where the whole fast-and-lenghty transition game is getting bogged down, one of these 2 can come in and provide some change in pace/momentum, forcing the other team to adjust and open the game up for our other guys. More versatility. Bonga can't do that. He's alright but unless the team is ravaged by injuries he won't play because his skillset (raw-ish length and athtleticism) is already available all over the roster.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
        So, I was reading more about Sam Dekker’s controversial past. Just wondering what others take on it is?

The JR Smith thing is just weird. He doesn’t come out and say anything definitively except he didn’t like Dekker because Dekker said something positive about Trump. JR Smith said he’s the only teammate he never liked. I wish there was more insight into that.
        Says the guy who threw a bowl of hot soup at his coach. if J.R is on the opposite side of an argument then you.. your probably in the right
        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Says the guy who threw a bowl of hot soup at his coach. if J.R is on the opposite side of an argument then you.. your probably in the right
          Great point! lol

Bonga played a lot in preseason, I assume he's a lock. I liked Ish, but he was also really streaky in Summerleague, he didn't get much run in preseason so it's hard to judge him on that. Ish would be an amazing locker room guy, can defend, but although his 3pt% may be good, I don't think he is a skilled offensive player... but neither is Bonga.

I think I'd rather Ish and Dekker... I'd rather give Bonga's minutes to Banton if we need a guy with those skills.

Comment

• Yeah that's the thing is JR ... didn't really say the exact question. I am sure Dekker did ask something but I don't know what it is. At this pointi ts is hard to gauge that stuff. It isn't like Myers Leonard where he said something out on a mic during fifa or something. It also isn't like JR honestly outlined anything.

Comment

• The twitter back and forth between JR and Dekker’s wife is weird.

ya, I don’t know what he’s getting. Maybe he just rubbed him the wrong way.
              Last edited by saints91; Fri Oct 15, 2021, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• yeah digging deeper it seems more like JR Smith is just an asshole
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• The other thing is the flexibility. Keeping Ish lets them ride out the next month and then decide at that point if they want to waive him then to stay under the tax. Keeping anyone else as the 15th guy puts them over the tax and needing to make a trade to get back below it (which they will likely be able to do, question will be the cost of that trade).

I think it's Ish for that reason (among others, decent shooter, solid defender, etc), plus one of Dekker or Bonga, and with how much they were using Bonga, they likely see him as a more likely sub into the rotation than Dekker (and his length and playmaking are probably what they want on the bench for the stretch where Pascal is out).
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    The other thing is the flexibility. Keeping Ish lets them ride out the next month and then decide at that point if they want to waive him then to stay under the tax. Keeping anyone else as the 15th guy puts them over the tax and needing to make a trade to get back below it (which they will likely be able to do, question will be the cost of that trade).

I think it's Ish for that reason (among others, decent shooter, solid defender, etc), plus one of Dekker or Bonga, and with how much they were using Bonga, they likely see him as a more likely sub into the rotation than Dekker (and his length and playmaking are probably what they want on the bench for the stretch where Pascal is out).
                    Yeah I just didn't see enough of Dekker which tells me he is cut. He popped off in that last game but other than that he didn't surprise me or wow me at all. I barely remember him. It isn't like Champagne (who is guaranteed) who I saw more of.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Yeah I just didn't see enough of Dekker which tells me he is cut. He popped off in that last game but other than that he didn't surprise me or wow me at all. I barely remember him. It isn't like Champagne (who is guaranteed) who I saw more of.
                      I remember thinking Alize Johnson sucked and he found a role in the NBA. We also dropped Oshae and he played great last year for Indiana. Sometimes its just a roll of a die.

But I do think Dekker will be one of those 6'9 guys that shoot 3/7 from 3, get like 12-14 points, and end up helping a team win important games. It would be nice to have a guy like that on this team. Shooters are like pitchers in baseball.. can never have too many.

Comment

• I guess everyone mentally blocked out Dekker going 0-4 the game before he blew up. He looked like shit except 1 game. I will not be upset if we don't sign him.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                          I guess everyone mentally blocked out Dekker going 0-4 the game before he blew up. He looked like shit except 1 game. I will not be upset if we don't sign him.
                          At the same time, it is nice to have at least 1 of those players that doesn't play often, but when you're struggling and need something, he can get hot.

We hoped Matt Thomas could do that but don't think he was that type of player.

Comment

• Dekker clearly had some issues -- he ended up in Europe when he's an NBA talent. Maybe JR isn't the best messenger of dudes issues, but he couldn't find a job.

That said, he seems to have made a lot of positive changes. He brings a skill that the team lacks and I'm confident in the Raps staff to help him with his weaknesses.

I like Bonga, but he's sort of a less talented version of Yuta. Isn't he? If he clears waivers I would like him on the 905.

Lots of reasons to keep Ish. Decent from the corner, and a physical player who can guard a lot of positions. I really like his game.

Yeah, I'm thinking Dekker and Ish, but this can't be an easy decision.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                              I guess everyone mentally blocked out Dekker going 0-4 the game before he blew up. He looked like shit except 1 game. I will not be upset if we don't sign him.
                              this is exactly why I am good without him... didn't see anything special on the defensive end either.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I remember thinking Alize Johnson sucked and he found a role in the NBA. We also dropped Oshae and he played great last year for Indiana. Sometimes its just a roll of a die.

But I do think Dekker will be one of those 6'9 guys that shoot 3/7 from 3, get like 12-14 points, and end up helping a team win important games. It would be nice to have a guy like that on this team. Shooters are like pitchers in baseball.. can never have too many.
                                If I am remembering correctly Oshae Brissett had an injury at that time so we had to go with someone who could play on the actual team.

Comment

Working...
                                X