No announcement yet.

Raptors 2021-2022 Preseason + Training Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah I think both sides have played it bad from a pr standpoint.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

He needs to show up, act like an asshole, sabotage practices, pout and get sent home like a 12 year old? Okay, that's one take. The other thing he could have done is show up, do his job properly, pump up his trade value, and make himself an attractive player for lots of teams. Leaving aside the professional aspect of it all, a mature, well-adjusted man does not behave like this and it speaks poorly of his character.

Lots of teams will never trade for Ben Simmons after this cause he has shown is both untrustworthy and unreliable. You can't have the most important on your team be that guy. There will be some team that will roll the dice but it will almost certainly end poorly there, too.
      I agree with this.... but. I haven't really EVER seen a player throw their teammate under the bus like Joel did. He wasn't WRONG. Nor was Doc. But they were idiotic not to bite their lip. (Not surprising from Joel, sadly.)

I totally agree with all you're saying Slaw and then in the same breath feel like 'yeah, y'all have created an environment where there's zero percent chance Ben can/will step on the floor with you again. I definitely haven't seen a situation quite this untenable, that I can recall.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
        Yeah I think both sides have played it bad from a pr standpoint.
        This is the correct take. Nobody has handled it well. Simmons is immature, Morey is a stubborn fool for the trade demand show he made all summer, and embiid as usual is just a loudmouth who doesn't care about his quotes going all over the internet.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

I agree with this.... but. I haven't really EVER seen a player throw their teammate under the bus like Joel did. He wasn't WRONG. Nor was Doc. But they were idiotic not to bite their lip. (Not surprising from Joel, sadly.)

I totally agree with all you're saying Slaw and then in the same breath feel like 'yeah, y'all have created an environment where there's zero percent chance Ben can/will step on the floor with you again. I definitely haven't seen a situation quite this untenable, that I can recall.
          Oh, don't get me wrong. Simmons definitely has a right to feel aggrieved about the way Embiid and Rivers threw him under the bus. 100%. You don't do that to a teammates. Sometimes a coach can do it publicly but not the way Doc did. At the same time, if you expect to be treated with equity you must do equity and I'm not sure Simmons had the moral high ground vis-a-vis those guys, so it's tough for him to act too hard done by publicly.

Thing is, Simmons could have demanded a trade and even publicly called out Doc and Joel and maybe even walked away looking like the victim in it all but his behavior has only hurt his own reputation. What he's doing is self-defeating, even if he is 100% in the right.

Comment

• I watched that Doc Rivers post-game interview recently. He wasn't really all that damning. He quickly made a negative into a positive as well about Ben. Talked about his defense and how he was able to make life difficult for Trae. I think that got blown out of proportion.

Embiid as well talked about his own turnover that cost them the game.

At the end of the day Simmons is acting like a baby. But I hope the 76ers don't cave. Like seeing teams get their mojo back, even if it is Morey and the 76ers.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

This is the correct take. Nobody has handled it well. Simmons is immature, Morey is a stubborn fool for the trade demand show he made all summer, and embiid as usual is just a loudmouth who doesn't care about his quotes going all over the internet.
              and everything you outlined is why I think kyrie would be a bad fit for them from the sixers stand point.

But looking at the situation... yeah its not a good look for anyone. I don't think anyone can fairly take sides. Ben has a point from his end. This hasn't worked. They outlined that it can't work and yet he is still expected to contribute to this situation. On the flip side they the only way he can realistically be traded any faster is by going and showing up and playing well. He has tanked his value so much and he is largely an unknown. He isn't like Harden coming off two MVP campaigns. He is an unproven player with hype surrounding him. He may be great. He may be good, he may be OK. We just don't know. That is also part of the reason why him on the raptors would be interesting as an experiment but I wouldn't suggest trading Siakam for him. That would be... silly.

Mentally Ben seems to have a few issues that he needs to work out. That isn't exactly the easiest thing to do.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                I watched that Doc Rivers post-game interview recently. He wasn't really all that damning. He quickly made a negative into a positive as well about Ben. Talked about his defense and how he was able to make life difficult for Trae. I think that got blown out of proportion.

Embiid as well talked about his own turnover that cost them the game.

At the end of the day Simmons is acting like a baby. But I hope the 76ers don't cave. Like seeing teams get their mojo back, even if it is Morey and the 76ers.
                He really wasn't... and it got blown out of proportion for sure by the media. He is being a bit sensitive. There were multiple issues down the stretch.

Comment

He really wasn't... and it got blown out of proportion for sure by the media. He is being a bit sensitive. There were multiple issues down the stretch.
                  Ben's name came up a lot during the Harden sweepstakes. That's probably when Ben had started mentally checking out. The playoff reactions were just the cherry on the top.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

You gotta think moreys trade demands were him trying to smooth things over. Make unrealistic demands to suggest the franchise still holds Ben in high regard. At least, thats my guess, cause even Morey cant actually think ben is worth an all star and 3-4 1st rounders.

Comment

Ben's name came up a lot during the Harden sweepstakes. That's probably when Ben had started mentally checking out. The playoff reactions were just the cherry on the top.
                      Again they should have traded him previously. And if reports of him for CJ are true that would have worked and they could have just gotten as many assets as possible. They aren't getting Lillard that's just dumb. They also aren't going to get Beal.

Comment

• I cant believe some of you guys would actually trade for simmons....crazy.

Comment

Again they should have traded him previously. And if reports of him for CJ are true that would have worked and they could have just gotten as many assets as possible. They aren't getting Lillard that's just dumb. They also aren't going to get Beal.
                          Yup.. the Brogdon and picks rumour would have been ideal. Now Brogdon got an extension and can't be traded. Morey played this too safely. But I like that the power is back with the team here. If they can hang on to this. Just keep forcing Simmons to pay fines for not showing up to practice/games/etc. And then wait it out until more guys are available to be traded.

The only time the pressure should mount for Philly is if they start off the season poorly. But they have too many weapons and should be a team operating above .500 even if Ben isn't playing.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                            I cant believe some of you guys would actually trade for simmons....crazy.
                            My take is that he's a really good defensive player and can quarter back a team on offense. We are lacking playmakers (well we have Scottie, but he needs time), and we could use more defense. The price tag is the important part of course.

If the pieces would be some combination of Dragic/Boucher/Trent with zero to only heavily protected picks going back, then I'd make the deal. And try to raise his trade value.

I do not trade Pascal, Scottie, Fred, Achiuawa or OG for him. And would not include a non-protected FRP. Everything left is just some poop really, and I doubt Philly would take it anyway. A team like Minny, Sacramento or San Antonio could offer a lot more.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                              I cant believe some of you guys would actually trade for simmons....crazy.
                              Yeah, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Comment

The only time the pressure should mount for Philly is if they start off the season poorly. But they have too many weapons and should be a team operating above .500 even if Ben isn't playing.
                                I don't think they have "too many weapons" at all. I think they're roster is pretty fugly. 34 year old Danny Green? Seth Curry?

Looking at rosters league wide the other day I thought they easily had one of the worst outside of their big guys. It's really Joel and Tobias and drops off mightily from there. They sorely lack something if they don't get some value from Ben.

I hope they crash and burn.

Comment

Working...
                                X