Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preseason Game One: Philadelphia 76ers at Toronto Raptors - Mon Oct 4th, 7pm ET - SN1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post

I think he comps a lot closer to Pippen than Magic tbh. But even saying that feels like a jinx so I will take it back and just say he looks really damn good.
    He definitely had some EXTREMELY Earvin passes tonight, though. I can see the comp, for real.

I can appreciate the jinx fears but I’m gonna put one toe cautiously in the water and henceforth dub him
    Magic Pippen.

That, and Fun Guy 2.0.
    Last edited by GOLDBLUM; Tue Oct 5, 2021, 01:58 AM.

Comment

• This is why i said im looking forward to watching the bench more than starters and why i hope nurse keeps making a wholesale bench change. A productive exciting bench is the best way to get more out of the starters

Banton is fun to watch hopefully his shot continues to be good thats the only thing im worried about. His passes are laser beams

I though Alvin was dry in the past but he seems more comfortable now. Maybe because theres more job security

nurse did mention trent has difficulty staying infront of his man. In think that’s nurse code for hes gonna have a linited roll

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Who? I like Dekker because he can shoot but he didn't get any mins tonight so that's not a good sign. Wainright same thing. Bonga? meh. Freddie will get one of the spot because he's a big - and the Raps only have 2 bigs on their roster(Precious and Birch).
        I hear you but Ish, Dekker and Bonga didn’t get this minutes this game to make any judgements. You can play everyone every game so I expect to get more minutes in one of these next 4 games and I’m pretty confident that if they get to play alongside some main bench guys or even starters they will 100% look better than Freddie. It truly isn’t hard to look better than him. He’s terrible
        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Finally was able to watch the game, boy that was fun! The bench + Barnes lineup in the second was great to watch, Yuta looked great out there and Svi surprised me with how he was moving the ball. Precious had a few “wait what?” moments in a good way, obviously seeing Barnes impact the game was exciting
          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Honestly, the one thing the team needs is a true center. Just someone who can bang when the other team brings out a tallboi. Precious and Scottie were both trying but he were clearly being outmuscled, and Gillespie was just not good at all.

Keep Yuta and Ish from the six non-guaranteeds and find a seven-footer somewhere.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
              Honestly, the one thing the team needs is a true center. Just someone who can bang when the other team brings out a tallboi. Precious and Scottie were both trying but he were clearly being outmuscled, and Gillespie was just not good at all.

Keep Yuta and Ish from the six non-guaranteeds and find a seven-footer somewhere.
              I think Birch being back will help but I agree. We just need one solid center.

Comment

• We only saw a bit of Bonga tonight but I think he has a ton of potential and he clearly really fits the mould of the new lengthy, playmaking, positionless, transition style we're moving towards. I wanna see more from him but I think there's something really intriguing there. (That, and my friend kept saying "Raps gotta get Bonga, Raps gotta get Bonga" well before it was any kind of whisper of a rumour. ... Same friend was also huge on Svi way before Svi was at all connected to Raps... I'm beginning to think this friend is secretly Bobby Webster in disguise.)

Yuta making the squad is an absolute given.

I really liked Ish in summer league. He didn't get a ton of burn tonight. Be interesting to see if he gets more opportunity to stake a claim.

And yeah, you're not wrong magoon, a genuine C is the one place we have a still have a kind of glaring hole. It was ugly watching Drummond just beast on us for that stretch... and gave me Tampa shell shock of not having a legitimate/competent centre. (Does Birch eliminate those concerns entirely? ... I really like him but I'm still not entirely sure in relation to the biggest opposing C's in the league... He'll cover a lot but there'll be nights that are tougher to watch.)

Freddy G, though... with so many other promising options, it feels a shame to use a spot on him, just cause he's a (somewhat) big body. Seems like a super nice guy but tough to get excited about his play right now. Be nice if he could remind us of the value he can bring, not just as a placeholder for lack of a 7 footer.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Nick loves the funk.

The funk has already spread as far as beatwriters from Portland, Oregon.

The new era is here.

Comment

And yeah, you're not wrong magoon, a genuine C is the one place we have a still have a kind of glaring hole. It was ugly watching Drummond just beast on us for that stretch... and gave me Tampa shell shock of not having a legitimate/competent centre.
                    I'm not worried about Drummond, who had the most Andre Drummond game imaginable: 19 and 14 with four blocks and still -4, because Andre Drummond doesn't make his team better and never has. But I am worried about the bigs who are actually good - Embiid, Horford, Davis, Jokic, et cetera. I don't think we have anybody on this team - not even Khem, who will work in most games as a defensive C - who can bang with those guys.

Comment

The funk has already spread as far as beatwriters from Portland, Oregon.

The new era is here.

The Draymond Green comparison is fair.
                      Prime Draymond = rookie Scottie

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

The Draymond Green comparison is fair.
                        Prime Draymond = rookie Scottie
                        Don't sully scottie's name with Draymond, too many cheap shots and drama. Also big time overrated.

Comment

• Random thoughts on yesterday's game:

You could tell the bench guys and Barnes have a lot more chemistry than the starters do right now. Probably from getting reps during summer league.

I'm still a bit skeptical about Banton, he gets lost on defence and like I was saying during the game he can be sloppy with the ball. He definitely has talent, but should probably be with 905 and called up only when needed.

Svi impressed me with his shot, playmaking and ability to bring the ball up the floor. Champagne impressed with his ability to fight for rebounds and and hit corner jumpers.

Nurse was talking about how there isn't much Precious can't do on the floor and you have to think he was talking about his shot which was on full display yesterday. We'll see what Birch brings when he's healthy, but I'm fine with starting Precious.

We don't have one big body, true C type, but having this many 6-8, 6-9 guys on the floor allows you to rebound well as a team. 57 rebounds is a lot and 17 OREB is a lot of extra possessions.

Just one game, a preseason game at that.

Comment

He definitely had some EXTREMELY Earvin passes tonight, though. I can see the comp, for real.

I can appreciate the jinx fears but I’m gonna put one toe cautiously in the water and henceforth dub him
                            Magic Pippen.

That, and Fun Guy 2.0.
                            It's also his personality that is SO much Magic (I was try and preface that with, "rom the outsiders perspective"). He's got that infectious joy, million dollar smile, dancing, singing, laughing, hugging...but when its time to play he's more intense than anyone else. Other guys that came up with him talk about his leadership and whatnot, I think it was Cade and

We've never had a guy like this before, really interested to see where it goes.

That's what made Barnes so special as a member of Team USA's youth programs, Cade Cunningham and Jalen Suggs said Monday night.

"Y'all know who Scottie Barnes is, y'all know how he is. He just brings so much energy. He's always up. He's always trying to get everybody else up," Cunningham said.

Suggs, who was selected one pick after Barnes by the Orlando Magic, quickly agreed.

"Scottie's infectious. He's someone you want to be around," Suggs said. "He cracks jokes off the court, but on the court, he's super serious. It makes you want to run with him."
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                              Random thoughts on yesterday's game:

You could tell the bench guys and Barnes have a lot more chemistry than the starters do right now. Probably from getting reps during summer league.

I'm still a bit skeptical about Banton, he gets lost on defence and like I was saying during the game he can be sloppy with the ball. He definitely has talent, but should probably be with 905 and called up only when needed.

Svi impressed me with his shot, playmaking and ability to bring the ball up the floor. Champagne impressed with his ability to fight for rebounds and and hit corner jumpers.

Nurse was talking about how there isn't much Precious can't do on the floor and you have to think he was talking about his shot which was on full display yesterday. We'll see what Birch brings when he's healthy, but I'm fine with starting Precious.

We don't have one big body, true C type, but having this many 6-8, 6-9 guys on the floor allows you to rebound well as a team. 57 rebounds is a lot and 17 OREB is a lot of extra possessions.

Just one game, a preseason game at that.

Re bold ...agree ...Svi looked poised ... like he has done this before thing. Saw a blurb on Champagne which speaks to his grit/character ...

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202108190056

Comment

• Nice to see some Raptor ball again!

Player of the night was Barnes. He just brought an energy that electrified the bench. Some of his passes were awesome. The block 3pt shot was nice. Very Giannis like actually. We got a good one.

Thought Svi was really, really good. Reminded me a bit of Landry Fields or Anthony Parker. Felt like a vet but he's not really. Just a guy that was in the right spots and made great reads. And it wasn't even his shooting which was his calling card in college.

Precious brought energy back to the C position. The 3pt shot was delightful. The block on Drummond was great, too bad they couldn't retain the possession. But yeah he's not a big body so will have to use his energy on defense to try and fight back against some of those big post players.

OG looked exactly like the same guy as last year. Robotic in his movements. Slow to make a play with the ball. But he was efficient and you could tell he wasn't trying hard on defense. He's a vet now and knows what preseason is about.

Fred was okay.. again using preseason to just get some shots up. One play that made me smile was he was in traffic with 3 bodies around him.. and he passed it off for an open dunk/layup instead of trying to take it up himself. Progress!

Champagnie, Watanabe and Banton were all pretty good as well. Banton has to slow down a bit at times, but his length is so hard to work against. Watanabe hit his shots. But he was pretty active. Champagnie looked really good and his box score showed.

Dragic looked invisible. But again he's a vet and isn't really trying too hard.

Flynn was pretty bad. He hit a 3 but it rattled in, and wasn't smooth. He got lost on defense, and Alvin Williams called him out on it (which I loved - great hire so far!). I like the kid. I hope he develops well, but not a great game. Of course he didn't get much playing time, so that didn't help matters. His rhythm was shot, and he looked short compared to all the giants next to him.

Gillespie just isn't an NBA player. Felt like he had more fouls than minutes played (he didn't, but was close).

Apparently we'll get to see more of Flynn, Ish, Bonga, Dekker next game. But Bonga had a really nice play where he had a cross court assist to an open man.

I think our defense is going to be really good. If we can get out to shooters off a drive and kick, we'll be fine. We'll struggle some with rebounding, especially against big post players. Or defending them.. but that's fine. Only a few teams have a big man that posts up these days.

We scored over 120 points, but a lot were in transition. Not likely a good scenario for the regular season. But optimistic anyway. Let's see how Philly responds in the second game.

Comment

Working...
                                X