Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptor training mthods reason for less injuries last year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor training mthods reason for less injuries last year?

This is more an information post...this is an excerpt with the link below:

“Alex says to me, ‘All our conditioning is done going forward. We don’t train laterally or backwards,’” McCoy recalled. “Alex said, ‘That’s the first change we’re going to make.’”

The changes the Raptors have made since embracing Catapult technology aren’t merely the stuff of tech-savvy trivia. One of the underplayed stories of Toronto’s first playoff run in six years was that, along with benefitting from the Rudy Gay trade and career-best work from a handful of key pieces, the Raptors were the least-injured team in the league in 2013-14 as measured by man games lost. The previous year, when they won 34 games and finished out of the post-season for the fifth straight year, they were one of the most-injured squads.

McKechnie’s understanding of the Catapult data has been credited, along with some good fortune and various other factors, as a major reason for the reversal. Along with rejigging training protocols to account for the vast amount of lateral and rearward movements, practising with the devices also allows the team to keep an eye on the overall workload being imposed on its players. That information helps coaches determine the duration and intensity of sweat sessions.

If you monitor the load, you offset fatigue. If you offset fatigue, you massively reduce the opportunity for injury to occur,” McCoy said.

Indeed, while injuries are often portrayed as a matter of luck, good or bad, McCoy said it’s his opinion that McKechnie and other adoptees of so-called bioanalytics are proving that many types of hurt are preventable.

Soft tissue injuries, like hamstrings and groins, are all preventable,” McCoy said in an interview. “Alex is the first guy I’ve heard say . . . ‘Look, injuries are going to happen. But those soft-tissue, preventable injuries? They’re on me.’ He takes full responsibility. A (Jonas) Valanciunas groin or hamstring? Alex takes full responsibility for that. That’s why those things don’t occur. There’s so many other strength and conditioning coaches that go, ‘I can’t prevent that.’ Well, yeah, you could. If you knew what you were doing, you could prevent those injuries.”
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...s_feschuk.html

Well, if this is a significant part of the explanation of why the Raps had so few injuries ( and it seems like it must be) they can reasonably be expected to have below average injuries again this year. With their depth at most positions, the bold from above becomes even more significant. “If you monitor the load, you offset fatigue. If you offset fatigue, you massively reduce the opportunity for injury to occur.”

Thank you Alex McKechnie and thank you once again Bryan. Too bad you couldn't be more patient.

Comment

Great read.

Comment

Goining from most injured to least injured in a year is HUGE....5 to 10 spots could be a coincidence, but I think this in combination with his symmetry program are gonna save/prolong a lot of careers. I bet he has a huge effect on Lou Williams
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

While this was more of a "injuries prevention" focused writeup and acclamation of McKechnie's work in the area I wonder about his input into the weight gain recommendations that some of the players have been getting. I am not a fan of the bulkup regimen without careful monitoring of the sometimes resultant breakdown of basketball motor skills eg shooting, dribbling, passing, agility. I do not have the link but I remember reading a relatively recent piece where our "dearly departed" Rudy G. says that he is going to be in much better bb shape due to the weight loss...the shedding of lbs. put on at the request of the Raptors (implied) so he could play some PF. JV as well last year I thought had lost some agility last year because of weight gain. I imagine these suggestions may have been passed thru McKechnie as well?

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            While this was more of a "injuries prevention" focused writeup and acclamation of McKechnie's work in the area I wonder about his input into the weight gain recommendations that some of the players have been getting. I am not a fan of the bulkup regimen without careful monitoring of the sometimes resultant breakdown of basketball motor skills eg shooting, dribbling, passing, agility. I do not have the link but I remember reading a relatively recent piece where our "dearly departed" Rudy G. says that he is going to be in much better bb shape due to the weight loss...the shedding of lbs. put on at the request of the Raptors (implied) so he could play some PF. JV as well last year I thought had lost some agility last year because of weight gain. I imagine these suggestions may have been passed thru McKechnie as well?
            I wonder about that, too. Remember when Bosh tried to bulk up his guns? It seemed like it affected his shooting stroke.

I'm no expert in this, but I'd think the only guys who need to bulk up are underweight or undersized players who don't have speed/agility advantages. Otherwise the trade-off you mentioned doesn't seem to be a net gain.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

But those Amir's ankles tho

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                I wonder about that, too. Remember when Bosh tried to bulk up his guns? It seemed like it affected his shooting stroke.

I'm no expert in this, but I'd think the only guys who need to bulk up are underweight or undersized players who don't have speed/agility advantages. Otherwise the trade-off you mentioned doesn't seem to be a net gain.
                I have often wondered why the obvious logic is discarded or not seriously considered when dealing with high performance athletes at this level....that tinkering with considerable weight gain especially in the wheelhouse areas as the shoulders and biceps for a bb player did not require at least stringent monitoring. These areas have a direct affect on one's shot and by default one's psyche/confidence (when they start missing!).

Comment

I thought McKechnie was the most important thing that happened in break due to the lockout in 2011.

The Lakers being cheap and refusing to pay during strike was a huge coup for Toronto..... and yes, Colangelo deserves a lot of credit - Triano too.

Lots of McKechnie articles in this link/thread.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...ight=mckechnie

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    I thought McKechnie was the most important thing that happened in break due to the lockout in 2011.

The Lakers being cheap and refusing to pay during strike was a huge coup for Toronto..... and yes, Colangelo deserves a lot of credit - Triano too.

Lots of McKechnie articles in this link/thread.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...ight=mckechnie
                    It may also not seem like a big deal, but that kind of thing can make a difference if this team experiences prolonged success. Any player, young or old, who is worried about some kind of wear and tear could then consider Toronto a top destination as free agents, in a similar way that PHX was able to attract guys.

Comment

Considering how many injuries the Lakers have had since he left (they already have 5-6 injured players this season) they should offer him a ridiculous amount to get him back.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                        Considering how many injuries the Lakers have had since he left (they already have 5-6 injured players this season) they should offer him a ridiculous amount to get him back.
                        Having senior citizens on one's roster will also add to that.

Comment

Working...
                        X