Tempering expectations on OG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Here is a question for you though. Would you have been willing to Jakob, Derozan and additional picks in the future to have obtained Luka?

That is what I wanted before the Kawhi trade happened because I thought Luka would be good.
    so that would have happened in the 2018 offseason, luka's draft year, right? So no NBA play to go on, then I would probably say no to that. Keep in mind though, that I tend to know very little of young players, international, college or otherwise. I probably knew he was MVP of Euro league or whatever, but doubt I would have endorsed the trade based on that alone. Had I suspected he would be as good as he is, like you, then obviously I would agree with that move. Hell, I was skeptical of the kawhi trade, as I was concerned he might not even show up, or give us a half assed effort if he did play. Glad I was wrong about that, we may have actually got the best kawhi has ever had to offer a team, or ever will.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post

so that would have happened in the 2018 offseason, luka's draft year, right? So no NBA play to go on, then I would probably say no to that. Keep in mind though, that I tend to know very little of young players, international, college or otherwise. I probably knew he was MVP of Euro league or whatever, but doubt I would have endorsed the trade based on that alone. Had I suspected he would be as good as he is, like you, then obviously I would agree with that move. Hell, I was skeptical of the kawhi trade, as I was concerned he might not even show up, or give us a half assed effort if he did play. Glad I was wrong about that, we may have actually got the best kawhi has ever had to offer a team, or ever will.
      yeah it would have been a risk but based on the role of the team thats what I was interested in. We did not have a draft pick... I can't remember if its because we needed to give one up to to dump demarre in the previous year. So that could be it but I am not 100% certain.

So it would have meant trying to trade future assets along with Demar and others. I originally wanted us to make a trade with Phoenix for the number 1 pick to draft luka. Obviously they ended up getting Ayton which I still think was a mistake even though he is good I wanted them to pair Booker with someone big on the wing. I saw Luka as a Point Forward at the time. I don't even know what the heck he is now but yeah.

Comment

Atlanta wanted to a top 5 pick in return so they still could get Trea, I don't think we had the assets to pull it off.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
          Atlanta wanted to a top 5 pick in return so they still could get Trea, I don't think we had the assets to pull it off.
          What if it was derozan and 2 future picks? (AT THE TIME). Unprotected. Althought it likely would have been a pick for this years draft or something.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

What if it was derozan and 2 future picks? (AT THE TIME). Unprotected. Althought it likely would have been a pick for this years draft or something.
            I think it’s time someone says something...

Please take this conversation to the EVERYTHING IF WE COULD TURN BACK TIME FOR LUKA thread.

We're trying to focus on the important question surrounding when OG goes on the Great Canadian Baking Show...

You're ruining the WE NEED TO LOWER OUR EXPECTATIONS THAT OG WILL REMEMBER TO TEMPER THE CHOCOLATE thread.

/ end rant

Comment

The high expectations for OG this season is shared by others as well:
              https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...ers-nba-season

Comment

Great read but my "favourite" thing from that article wasn't even OG related

From Darius Garland..."Garland and Sexton have heard the criticism -- that they are too small, too similar. "It's fuel for us," Garland says. "We've seen Fred VanVleet and Kyle Lowry do it, so why can't we? I think we're a little better than they were at our ages."

Comment

OG eats trolls for breakfast, fools for lunch, then hits game-winning 3s for dinner.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                    Great read but my "favourite" thing from that article wasn't even OG related

From Darius Garland..."Garland and Sexton have heard the criticism -- that they are too small, too similar. "It's fuel for us," Garland says. "We've seen Fred VanVleet and Kyle Lowry do it, so why can't we? I think we're a little better than they were at our ages."
                    I saw that too and had a bit of a chuckle. Still, it's great to see young players trying to emulate our guys and recognize their success.

The best part to me about seeing Raptor players being recognized is that that nothing is handed to them.

DeMar spent years refining his game to a point where you had top 10 players like KD trying to copy his footwork.
                    Kyle was a misfit until he got here. Not part of the elite club or anything, not riding a banana float with LeBron and Wade, but in the championship run he has guys like CP3 messaging him with support.
                    FVV is now the guy that the best players on other teams seek out after a game to catch up.

All our guys have had nothing handed to them, everything has been earned including respect.

Comment

Working...
                    X