Tempering expectations on OG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempering expectations on OG

I think it’s time someone says something…

OG Anunoby is a solid role player, that is his ceiling. He is a bigger Bruce Bowen, probably not the greatest comparison cause their style of play is very different but their limitations are the same.

If your asking OG to play defence he can do that, if your asking him to hit a set shot he can do that but what he can’t do is create his own offence. Stop the “ let’s see what OG can do” we know what he can do and he is good in his role.

I do not want to see OG dribbling the ball for more than 2 dribbles, when he gets stream behind him no one wants to stand in front of him but we need to take off the rose colour glasses he is very slow with the ball in his hand, his side step is slow, his step back is slow, all his dribbles and movements look like he is thinking every action. He can not put his back to the basket and bang he has no post moves.

in my opinion which doesn’t mean much on a championship team OG comes off the bench. Oh btw we won a championship without him playing a single mIn. Every year we look for that new face, OG is not its!

/end rant

I can't agree with this based on the improvement we have seen on both his dribbling ability, craftiness, and finishing. His movements are not lightning quick, but they have purpose and are effective. What you are describing is more of a the Og from 3 or 4 years ago. If OG had been healthy for our championship run, it just would have been easier. The only thing that's really in question at this point is will he be afforded the chance to shine.

Comment

OG is suited more for a power game, not finesse. I rather him put him shoulder down and drive into a guy. I like that he is working on a midrange game, because I think all the best players need one... I'm not sure he will become Kawhi, but he's much better than Bruce Bowen/Tony Allen/Charles Oakley.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
        OG is suited more for a power game, not finesse. I rather him put him shoulder down and drive into a guy. I like that he is working on a midrange game, because I think all the best players need one... I'm not sure he will become Kawhi, but he's much better than Bruce Bowen/Tony Allen/Charles Oakley.
        he needs footwork

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post

OG Anunoby is a solid role player, that is his ceiling. He is a bigger Bruce Bowen, probably not the greatest comparison cause their style of play is very different but their limitations are the same.

If your asking OG to play defence he can do that, if your asking him to hit a set shot he can do that but what he can’t do is create his own offence. Stop the “ let’s see what OG can do” we know what he can do and he is good in his role.

I do not want to see OG dribbling the ball for more than 2 dribbles, when he gets stream behind him no one wants to stand in front of him but we need to take off the rose colour glasses he is very slow with the ball in his hand, his side step is slow, his step back is slow, all his dribbles and movements look like he is thinking every action. He can not put his back to the basket and bang he has no post moves.

in my opinion which doesn’t mean much on a championship team OG comes off the bench. Oh btw we won a championship without him playing a single mIn. Every year we look for that new face, OG is not its!

/end rant
          This is quite a stance to take on a guy who just turned 24, has increased his usage from ~15 to ~20 in the past season while maintaining a 60% TS%, increased his AST% from 5% in his first couple seasons to 10% last year without a significant corresponding increase in turnovers, all while more than doubling the rate at which he took midrange jumpers from two years ago to last year and dropping his assisted FG% on his two pointers from 65% to 50%.

Shame we went and "saw what he could do" last year - far better to have kept him in his prior role. Surely another season of expanding his role will have a similarly terrible impact on his efficiency, turnovers and playmaking. Oh, whatever are we to do with such a limited player.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I think the proper approach to players who have demonstrated growth is.. just a wait and see. He may be great. He may be OK. I think he shows improvement this year but the level of improvement is something we will have to just wait and see.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
              I think the proper approach to players who have demonstrated growth is.. just a wait and see. He may be great. He may be OK. I think he shows improvement this year but the level of improvement is something we will have to just wait and see.
              My stance is he will be great as a role player there is no shame in being iguodala

Comment

/end rant
                If preseason game one is any indication, OG is going to get plenty of iso attempts. They did a horrible job spacing the floor for him on those low post attempts the first game, so lead to double teams and turnovers, but it was clear they wanted him to take those reps. With Siakam out for a bit with rehab you can expect that trend to continue.

Comment

If he is a role player than it is what it is. but idea to just pull a plug now is unfair to him. We're not winning anything. Let him play and experiment and work on his game. Coaching needs to give him opportunity
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Too cool/important for the Everything OG thread? I think not.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                      If I'm OG, I will pattern my game after Kawhi.
                      Focus on Kawhi's game, copy every move like how Kobe copied MJ..
                      and he will be set.
                      He has all the tools.

Comment

If your asking OG to play defence he can do that, if your asking him to hit a set shot he can do that
                        Perfect, so he's exceling at his job!

What are we talking about?
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

He was complaining about OG in the whole game thread for our preseason game, and OG led the team in scoring putting up an ultra efficient 21 points on 12 shots, going 3-3 3pt shots and 4-4 ft. There is no logic to his argument, it's just OG fails his eye test but his eye test has no basis in reality.

They're entertaining takes just for how incredibly bad they are.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post

He was complaining about OG in the whole game thread for our preseason game, and OG led the team in scoring putting up an ultra efficient 21 points on 12 shots, going 3-3 3pt shots and 4-4 ft. There is no logic to his argument, it's just OG fails his eye test but his eye test has no basis in reality.

They're entertaining takes just for how incredibly bad they are.
                            I like the part, "guys, time to temper expectations. He might only become Andre Iguodala"

Sooooo....finals MVP, all star, 2 time all defense Andre Iguodala? I think everyone here would be happy lol.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

Just a guess.... but I think he might be talking about replacing OG with Otto Porter who does the same 3&D things for much less (2.9M vs. 18M).

Comment

Working...
                              X