Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preseason Game 2: Toronto Raptors @ Philadelphia 76ers - Thursday Oct 7th, 7pm ET TSN2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As for the game threads, we lost, so next man up! Sorry again for being late with this one.

Next game is Saturday at Boston so someone do better than me and get it sorted well before tip.

Comment

• Man, the other day I was watching Goga Bitadze hilights...lol... stressin over not having a big center on my favorite team is a lifestyle

Comment

• I hated that trade when it happened. I hate it even more now. This guy sucks. All he does literally is shoot jump shots. Defense is below average, passing is non existent, doesn't get to the line, doesn't rebound....

He's going to have big games because he can shoot but just like last season you'll also see a lot of 6 point, 8 point performance.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

So the obvious answer is sign Marc Gasol to the end of the bench to play against Embiid. He's at least proven he can do it effectively. If you wanna stop Embiid then Gasol is the answer.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
            NBA basketball is really deteriorating. What shit am I watching, from both teams...this is barely better than pick up ball.
            Best not to watch preseason at all. Lots of baseball and football on.

Comment

• If they are showcasing Dragic to trade him then that is fine but they have to do it as soon as possible…

GTJ should be starting, they cannot afford to mess up his development by allowing a 35 year old “has been” player start because they have to hide Van Vleet inability to properly run the point. Dragic is no Lowry.

You cannot cancel me out dumb dumb, I will always be in that little nugget of yours camping like a mosquito https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/c...ilies/wink.png

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers

Comment

• This team is not winning a Championship soon nor pretending to be one….

Barnes, GTJ and OG should deserve high usage, possessions and starter minutes (Barnes and GTJ)

this is a development year unless I may misunderstood Masai
                You cannot cancel me out dumb dumb, I will always be in that little nugget of yours camping like a mosquito https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/c...ilies/wink.png

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                  Banton Trent Barnes siakiam Myles turner
                  off the bench
                  Fred yuta Bouche birch svi

maybe we can make some moves half way threw the season ?
                  I'm thinking maybe play the other three preseason games before we revamp the team.

Comment

• Then there's Eric Koreen's article in the Athletic after the game:

"Joel Embiid and Andre Drummond, two of the more physically imposing centres in the league for whom the Raptors have no physical answer, combined to play 40 minutes for the Sixers. Yet despite that size differential, Toronto grabbed 13 offensive rebounds to Philadelphia’s 11. The more you think about the Raptors’ collection of quick, brawny, aggressive forwards, the more an all-out attack on the glass makes sense."

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

So the obvious answer is sign Marc Gasol to the end of the bench to play against Embiid. He's at least proven he can do it effectively. If you wanna stop Embiid then Gasol is the answer.
                      JV pretty much plays Embiid to a draw, when you consider that he limits Embiid's scoring well below other C defenders not named Marc Gasol, he scores very efficiently on him and gets Embiid in foul trouble.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

How do you insert this in a post? You have to teach me how to do this

I like to post comparison of Van Vleet and JJ Barea lol
                        Fred's comparison isn't JJ Barea, it's Patty Mills, i.e., FVV is Patty Mills with better D and unlimited USG & minutes. They are pretty much doppelgangers.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                          Then there's Eric Koreen's article in the Athletic after the game:

"Joel Embiid and Andre Drummond, two of the more physically imposing centres in the league for whom the Raptors have no physical answer, combined to play 40 minutes for the Sixers. Yet despite that size differential, Toronto grabbed 13 offensive rebounds to Philadelphia’s 11. The more you think about the Raptors’ collection of quick, brawny, aggressive forwards, the more an all-out attack on the glass makes sense."
                          Here's the other thing that limits the opponent's offensive boards: they have to get back quickly because the Raptors strong transition offence. If the opposing team hangs around trying to box out or put too much man power trying to get the offensive board they better grab it, otherwise it's 2 or 3 points for the Raptors in transition very quickly. This alone will make a big difference on our defensive boards.

I agree with what others said before: We don't need a nominal lumbering Centre here, that would hurt us in different areas way more than help. Embiid is an exception in this league, he's an mvp caliber player. The way to contain him is through doubling, smart team defence, and speed/athleticism. Finding a random low-quality, slow and heavy 7 footer just to foul him is not a solution.

Like others said, not only they certainly would not contain Embiid, they would also take away minutes from better players on our team, limit the switchabilty, and slow our transition game. The way to win more games is to play your 5 best players more often.
                          2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Here's the other thing that limits the opponent's offensive boards: they have to get back quickly because the Raptors strong transition offence. If the opposing team hangs around trying to box out or put too much man power trying to get the offensive board they better grab it, otherwise it's 2 or 3 points for the Raptors in transition very quickly. This alone will make a big difference on our defensive boards.

I agree with what others said before: We don't need a nominal lumbering Centre here, that would hurt us in different areas way more than help. Embiid is an exception in this league, he's an mvp caliber player. The way to contain him is through doubling, smart team defence, and speed/athleticism. Finding a random low-quality, slow and heavy 7 footer just to foul him is not a solution.

Like others said, not only they certainly would not contain Embiid, they would also take away minutes from better players on our team, limit the switchabilty, and slow our transition game. The way to win more games is to play your 5 best players more often.
                            The idea that people were throwing out was to protect other bigs from foul trouble but you putting your team in bonus. Fouling is bad defense. If you want a good defensive centre he better not foul. This is like goon strategy in hockey or something? Just put guy out there to hurt a guy a couple of times? lol
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

JV pretty much plays Embiid to a draw, when you consider that he limits Embiid's scoring well below other C defenders not named Marc Gasol, he scores very efficiently on him and gets Embiid in foul trouble.
                              If I'm not mistaken Gasol is unsigned and could be had for the vet minimum. JV not so much.

If having someone to stop big opposing centers is a major need for this team, as many seem to feel, then let's sign Gasol to the vet min and be done with it.

He's proven he can do it at a very high level, and if that's all we ask of him I have no doubt he won't disappoint.

I'm fine running with the guys we've got but if we need a defensive big man Gasol is the guy.

Comment

• We were missing talent obviously (they got to play Embiid, Harris, and we need all hands on deck this season), but the same type of defensive breakdowns happened last night as it did all of last year. We have to take care of the 3 ball. We just can't give guys open looks. And Philly had a great way of finding/generating those looks. We double team too much or collapse to hard at times. We're nowhere near a top 5 defense like people think we'll have. Still think we'll be mediocre on defense collectively. Not a big fan of Nurse's schemes in that last game. But it's only preseason.

Philly also shut down the transition game, and that will be the calling card on the Raptors unless they can get Pascal back as he's our only ISO generator (and he's not even that great).

Not much to hang your hat on in this one. OG was okay but carless and still needs a lot of work in the paint (surprised that he only had 2 turnovers.. felt like 4 or 5.. he was partly responsible for Philly going on that big run early). Fred just wasn't doing anything impactful. Dragic still looked invisible. Trent Jr was really bad. But there is no shot that he doesn't like (and yet still went 0-5 from 3). Flynn was better I guess, but his bar is really low right now. Didn't see much from Svi this time around. Maybe the bench needed Yuta's energy? Scottie was okay. A little too foul happy early on, and that got him a seat early.

I'd say the best player was probably Achiuawa. He did as good as a job as you can on Embiid. Was really active on the boards. Didn't really have a great game offensively but nobody really did. Still took 11 shots. But he also had 3 steals to go along with his 8 boards. OG had the most points but was still a -12 in his time on the court though.

Comment

Working...
                                X