Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preseason Game 2: Toronto Raptors @ Philadelphia 76ers - Thursday Oct 7th, 7pm ET TSN2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

If I'm not mistaken Gasol is unsigned and could be had for the vet minimum. JV not so much.

If having someone to stop big opposing centers is a major need for this team, as many seem to feel, then let's sign Gasol to the vet min and be done with it.

He's proven he can do it at a very high level, and if that's all we ask of him I have no doubt he won't disappoint.

I'm fine running with the guys we've got but if we need a defensive big man Gasol is the guy.
    Yeah but are you talking about 2018-2019 Gasol or 2021-2022 Gasol? They're different players. The latter is washed, fouls a lot, and is too much of a negative on the offensive end. We noticed it here on his last year, and Lakers confirmed that the year after. I also think he would prefer play in Spain rather than in a non-contending team on a vet minimum. I'm on the camp of running with the best overall players available to us, and right now for better or worse it's this group.

Comment

• It's pretty remarkable that Derozan developed a pick and roll game in one offseason. None of our guys right now have pnr game lol
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        We were missing talent obviously (they got to play Embiid, Harris, and we need all hands on deck this season), but the same type of defensive breakdowns happened last night as it did all of last year. We have to take care of the 3 ball. We just can't give guys open looks. And Philly had a great way of finding/generating those looks. We double team too much or collapse to hard at times. We're nowhere near a top 5 defense like people think we'll have. Still think we'll be mediocre on defense collectively. Not a big fan of Nurse's schemes in that last game. But it's only preseason.

Philly also shut down the transition game, and that will be the calling card on the Raptors unless they can get Pascal back as he's our only ISO generator (and he's not even that great).

Not much to hang your hat on in this one. OG was okay but carless and still needs a lot of work in the paint (surprised that he only had 2 turnovers.. felt like 4 or 5.. he was partly responsible for Philly going on that big run early). Fred just wasn't doing anything impactful. Dragic still looked invisible. Trent Jr was really bad. But there is no shot that he doesn't like (and yet still went 0-5 from 3). Flynn was better I guess, but his bar is really low right now. Didn't see much from Svi this time around. Maybe the bench needed Yuta's energy? Scottie was okay. A little too foul happy early on, and that got him a seat early.

I'd say the best player was probably Achiuawa. He did as good as a job as you can on Embiid. Was really active on the boards. Didn't really have a great game offensively but nobody really did. Still took 11 shots. But he also had 3 steals to go along with his 8 boards. OG had the most points but was still a -12 in his time on the court though.
        as usual, I appreciate your lengthy post game summary but noticed the most important detail that got inserted in the middle, hopefully I am sure not your intention to hide it UNLIKE coaches and his surrogate head coach hiding his flaws as a point guard

that said I am highlighting it for you

Comment

• I definitely agree that our defence isn’t going to be that great. This defensive scheme Nurse has where we just give up open 3 after open 3 isn’t going to work. It was the same issue as last season and it’s rearing it’s ugly head again this season so far. It’s just preseason so I’ll hold out judgment but I’m not liking that I haven’t seen an adjustment on that at all
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• I feel like our team is similar to the Celtics who also play a small C. They've handled Philly in the playoffs for the most part during the Embiid years. Not going to get concerned over facing a big C at this point of the season.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              We were missing talent obviously (they got to play Embiid, Harris, and we need all hands on deck this season), but the same type of defensive breakdowns happened last night as it did all of last year. We have to take care of the 3 ball. We just can't give guys open looks.
              What's the average age of the Raptors players that played 10+ minutes? How many turnovers do you expect from players in the NBA who are that average age and haven't played in more than two NBA games? The turnovers are going to get sorted out as team members get used to playing against NBA veterans, as opposed to college or Eurobasket players. Lets wait for judgement until all of the new guys have accumulated a couple hundred game time minutes. Just saying.

Comment

• We gotta remember that of the guys on the court this preseason the only dude who really have played together are OG and FVV. Yeah Trent was around after the deadline but we went right into full tank mode. He ever really got to gel with the roster. If these group of guys start to gel within the first 10 regular season games I'd be happy. Nick D requires alot of knowing and trusting your team mates with switching. It
                will look ugly for stretches till these guys get used to each other
                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                X