Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toronto Raptors who are still playing Alumni thread ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One wrote: View Post
    You all know what I think of Kawhi aka the GROAT, but should the Raptors also retire DeRozan's number?
    Sorry, I'm beating that dead horse solo lol

Comment

• Yes, you retire DD's number.

Also, eeek

Comment

• At least the debate a year ago about whether the franchise should put a statue of Derozan has died down.

I was a bit worried there for a brief moment that the back and forth talk about it will be in the forefront once again after the he had a stretch of meaningless uptick of PPG then top it after that dunk over Boucher.

you never know what the fans club have in store for us on their 2019-20 season agenda, lol

Comment

• The thing is that you don’t have to be your franchise’s superstar to have your number retired. You don’t have to win a championship, or hold franchise records. You don’t even have to be a player. You just have to be somebody that really meant a lot to the team, fans, community, etc.... DeMar certainly qualifies by that criteria.

Here’s a list of NBA teams and the people who have been retired by the franchise.

https://nbahoopsonline.com/History/retired.html

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            The thing is that you don’t have to be your franchise’s superstar to have your number retired. You don’t have to win a championship, or hold franchise records. You don’t even have to be a player. You just have to be somebody that really meant a lot to the team, fans, community, etc.... DeMar certainly qualifies by that criteria.

Here’s a list of NBA teams and the people who have been retired by the franchise.

https://nbahoopsonline.com/History/retired.html
            We have to have higher standards. Not a fan of retiring role players. I mentioned the Blue Jays model before. A key player(all star) on a championship team or/and a hall of famer. Alomar is both; Halladay's a hall of famer.

Kawhi - both
            Lowry - key player on a championship team
            Vince - future hall of famer

DeRozan is neither but he's a 4x all star and holds most of the franchise records.

Also, in Chicago, I'm pretty sure Jerry Krause's name is up there with Jordan and Pippen and all those guys...I think Masai's name deserves to be up there one day as well along with Kawhi and Vince....
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

We have to have higher standards. Not a fan of retiring role players. I mentioned the Blue Jays model before. A key player(all star) on a championship team or/and a hall of famer. Alomar is both; Halladay's a hall of famer.

Kawhi - both
              Lowry - key player on a championship team
              Vince - future hall of famer

DeRozan is neither but he's a 4x all star and holds most of the franchise records.

Also, in Chicago, I'm pretty sure Jerry Krause's name is up there with Jordan and Pippen and all those guys...I think Masai's name deserves to be up there one day as well along with Kawhi and Vince....
              Lol this has been argued to death. Demars getting his # retired regardless of if you like him or not.
              The guy you believe in the most (Kawhi) will probably be the contentious.
              Masai ya we need some type of way to recognize him, but if were lucky he's going to be in his role for another 25 years. What would a celebration of Masai look like? A blazer in the rafter? A statue of his blackberry?
              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Lol this has been argued to death. Demars getting his # retired regardless of if you like him or not.
                Masai ya we need some type of way to recognize him, but if were lucky he's going to be in his role for another 25 years. What would a celebration of Masai look like? A blazer in the rafter? A statue of his blackberry?
                Oh DeRozan's number is getting retired and I wouldn't really have a problem with it. The other three should be obvious though. DeRozan was a great player when he played here. The ONLY thing that I have a problem with is retiring role players numbers. No. Just no. We have to have HIGHER standards. The Vancouver Canucks retired Alex Burrows number or whatever a month ago. Alex Burrows is a scrub. We have to have higher standards than that. I guess that's why the Canucks are the Canucks. 50 years and no cup.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Masai’s statue would come with sound and be saying: “F*ck Brooklyn!”

Comment

Oh DeRozan's number is getting retired and I wouldn't really have a problem with it. The other three should be obvious though. DeRozan was a great player when he played here. The ONLY thing that I have a problem with is retiring role players numbers. No. Just no. We have to have HIGHER standards. The Vancouver Canucks retired Alex Burrows number or whatever a month ago. Alex Burrows is a scrub. We have to have higher standards than that. I guess that's why the Canucks are the Canucks. 50 years and no cup.
                    What role players would the raps ever retire tho? The only long shot maybe jose? I think theres some merit to it in certain cases. Say Amir johnson played in Toronto his entire career and was part of the Championship team, even if he didn't play a minute. He would probably go into the rafters. I think we should make vince wait, he'll go up there but not 1st out of principal.
                    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

What role players would the raps ever retire tho? The only long shot maybe jose? I think theres some merit to it in certain cases. Say Amir johnson played in Toronto his entire career and was part of the Championship team, even if he didn't play a minute. He would probably go into the rafters. I think we should make vince wait, he'll go up there but not 1st out of principal.
                      Why wait?

Roy Halladay retired in 2013, I remember him doing a press conference announcing that he's going to retire a Blue Jay. After that conference I tweeted that the Blue Jays should retire his number the next season. They didn't. They didn't retire his number in 2014, didn't retire his number in 2015, didn't retire his number in 2016, didn't retire his number in 2017. They retired his number in 2018 after his death. Why did they wait that long? We're talking about Roy Halladay here. The greatest pitcher in franchise history and the greatest pitcher of his generation(no exaggeration).

The point is, you never know what's gonna happen. Halladay DESERVED to see his jersey retired and he wasn't alive to see it.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Why wait?

Roy Halladay retired in 2013, I remember him doing a press conference announcing that he's going to retire a Blue Jay. After that conference I tweeted that the Blue Jays should retire his number the next season. They didn't. They didn't retire his number in 2014, didn't retire his number in 2015, didn't retire his number in 2016, didn't retire his number in 2017. They retired his number in 2018 after his death. Why did they wait that long? We're talking about Roy Halladay here. The greatest pitcher in franchise history and the greatest pitcher of his generation(no exaggeration).

The point is, you never know what's gonna happen. Halladay DESERVED to see his jersey retired and he wasn't alive to see it.
                        I don't remember the stories about Roy intentionally tipping his pitches to the other team or saying he didn't try his hardest for long periods of time forcing a bad trade on the Jays that set them back for years.....there's some similarities in their contributions in Toronto but hard to compare the two overall imo. Many teams wait until after a player retires (from wherever) before retiring a jersey.

Comment

• Really happy for our boy JV. He's found the role we knew he deserved. Really want him to make the playoffs, and see playoff JV again, except without Caseys leash

It is time to talk about Jonas Valanciunas

Jonas Valanciunas has been playing his best basketball and more people need to start talking about it.

There is a niche role that Valanciunas has in today’s NBA. He is one of the old school bruiser types who gets their money playing tough-nosed basketball earning every rebound he collects. This style contrasts perfectly in this Grizzlies’ rotation. The frontcourt has Jaren Jackson Jr. leading the charge, but he is no where close to a big bodied rebound-first big man. He likes to spread the floor and try to make three-point attempts. Then, number two on the depth chart at the center position is Brandon Clarke. He is another younger, more athletic rim-runner type who can play at a quicker pace than Valanciunas can.

With these two sharing similar styles, Valanciunas has carved out his role on this team and has thrived this year putting up big points and rebounding numbers. He has been a constant that this young Grizzlies team has definitely needed.

The improvements since Jonas Valanciunas has arrived in Memphis are very promising to see. He has adapted his game around this modern NBA and thrived putting up his best numbers of career. These young guys have taken over this team, and he has been along for the ride. It all has been on display in this stretch of the Grizzlies last 11 games. They have won 8 of 11, and Valanciunas has averaged 18.2 points, 10.1 rebounds, 2.4 assists shooting 66.7% from the field.

While Ja and Jaren have the headlines and the spotlight, it is the underlying players such as Jonas Valanciunas who are the constant points and rebounds that keep the team stable. There may not be any high-flying dunks or crazy assists, but it is the simple things he does right each and every game that deserves this recognition.

The Memphis Grizzlies really do look like a playoff team right now. We will see how this progresses up until May and June, but Valanciunas will be a key part of their continued success.
                          https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/202...-grizzlies-nba
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Really happy for our boy JV. He's found the role we knew he deserved. Really want him to make the playoffs, and see playoff JV again, except without Caseys leash

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/202...-grizzlies-nba
                            Send him his RING!

Comment

• JV was the victim of Casey iso virus with Derozan as the coach’s carrier.

The only time JV got a pass from Derozan was at the last 4 seconds of the play.

So JV is a good place right now, great for him.

I digress, People are suggesting that we should trade for Derozan. Siakam will probably ask for a trade in a heartbeat. Closest Pascal would go near Derozan was that hug during that media scrum post game.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                                JV was the victim of Casey iso virus with Derozan as the coach’s carrier.

The only time JV got a pass from Derozan was at the last 4 seconds of the play.

So JV is a good place right now, great for him.

I digress, People are suggesting that we should trade for Derozan. Siakam will probably ask for a trade in a heartbeat. Closest Pascal would go near Derozan was that hug during that media scrum post game.
                                The only way we should take DeMar back is if he comes back for ~$10M per year and agrees to come in first off the bench for 12 minutes per night .... and never talk to Lowry

All kidding aside, I think he, partnered with Kyle again, would slowly destroy chemistry here

Comment

Working...
                                X