Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toronto Raptors who are still playing Alumni thread ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

I dunno I think deep down Vince knows he could have had a better career. How many playoff series did the guy even win 2 or 3?
    He could think that. But SR might be right. Thats the kind of person Vince is. Some people are just not winners and didn't have "it"
    Last edited by MixxAOR; Mon Apr 20, 2020, 04:24 PM.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Maybe there's one timeline in millions where Vince wins.

Comment

I dunno I think deep down Vince knows he could have had a better career. How many playoff series did the guy even win 2 or 3?
        At some point he completely gave up and went for longevity over playing through discomfort and the drive you need to get through the grueling playoffs round after round. He could learn a lot from Kyle who also likes to dramatize on the floor now and again but does play through pain.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

At some point he completely gave up and went for longevity over playing through discomfort and the drive you need to get through the grueling playoffs round after round. He could learn a lot from Kyle who also likes to dramatize on the floor now and again but does play through pain.
          We just watched Kawhi Leonard win it all with load management but Vince is not on Kawhi's level.

Comment

There's a huge difference between knowing it could have been better and putting in the work needed to make it so (armchair quarterback take here, sure). Vince probably realizes he could have been better, he gets asked as much often enough. But was he ever the guy to put in the work and lay it all out there? At a level comparable to the guys who actually got it done? Because if you have all the talent but you're not putting in the work of MJ, Kobe, Duncan, etc., you're not beating them.

Heard a professional musician break it down this way once (very loose paraphrase here): "People tell me all the time they want to play guitar like I do. I tell them no you don't, if you really wanted to play guitar like I do, you'd be playing 5-7 hours a day like I do. But you don't want to do that." Jordan Peterson also talks about highly talented people in competitive fields - the competition is relative. So you're in the top 5% of talent, your competitor is also in the top 5% and is putting in 80 hours of work a week. If you're putting in 60 hours, you're falling behind by a significant margin - every week. Not scientific but I think that idea translates to sports pretty well. Vince was super talented, but over his career he wasn't keeping up with Kobe - they were great comparables early and not in the same league late.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

We just watched Kawhi Leonard win it all with load management but Vince is not on Kawhi's level.
              Vince had more pure talent than Kawhi but his drive/desire/determination is so far below guys like Kawhi, he can't even look up high enough to see its ass.

Comment

He could think that. But SR might be right. Thats the kind of person Vince is. Some people are just not winners and didn't have "it"
                Yeah, there’s a big difference between guys who “love to win” like VC vs guys who “hate to lose” like Kobe, MJ, Duncan. You don’t want to be around those guys when you lose. Vince was and still is, just happy to be in the NBA.... win, lose or lose big.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, there’s a big difference between guys who “love to win” like VC vs guys who “hate to lose” like Kobe, MJ, Duncan. You don’t want to be around those guys when you lose. Vince was and still is, just happy to be in the NBA.... win, lose or lose big.
                  I just think at some point, between the teams he was on, the players he was saddled with and his not being prepared to what it takes to win in the grind that is the NBA, he gave up and mailed it in for years

He only hit 15 PPG once in his last 10 years and his last 6 years were 5-8 PPG with decent minutes. Dude just hung on and collected cheques on some of the worst teams in the league....and was happy about it.

Comment

I just think at some point, between the teams he was on, the players he was saddled with and his not being prepared to what it takes to win in the grind that is the NBA, he gave up and mailed it in for years

He only hit 15 PPG once in his last 10 years and his last 6 years were 5-8 PPG with decent minutes. Dude just hung on and collected cheques on some of the worst teams in the league....and was happy about it.
                    Nah. Even in his prime Raptor years, VC always looked happy - win or lose. He's just a fun-loving, joking around type of guy. That's a great personality for a lot of walks of life, but not always successful in competitive sports at the highest level.

Comment

• Well i guess Sam Mitchell is going to coach the New G-League team that is going to be made up of top prospect that skip college.
                      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Nah. Even in his prime Raptor years, VC always looked happy - win or lose. He's just a fun-loving, joking around type of guy. That's a great personality for a lot of walks of life, but not always successful in competitive sports at the highest level.
                        Recency bias lol

Vince Carter will retire an NBA legend, but his career began ...

And then he undercut All-Star McCaw, once with the Warriors, once with the Raps, the only thing he did for Toronto in the last 15 years

Comment

What level of game?

Media likes to romanticize his longevity but the reality is, Vince was dropping just 5-8 PPG over 16-25 minutes (not insignificant minutes) over the last 6 seasons. He bumped around and hung on and collected pay cheques.

Hadn't had great stats in 10 years.

7 team career.

Won nothing....but a dunk contest.

Hot take? Top 10 over rated player of all time.
                          A lot of Hawks games I was watching they had Carter on the floor in crunch time minutes . The level of play of am referring too is the level of play that allows you to even be on the floor when it's crunch time . Paul Pearce looked like he couldn't even touch the rim if tried to touch it .

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post

A lot of Hawks games I was watching they had Carter on the floor in crunch time minutes . The level of play of am referring too is the level of play that allows you to even be on the floor when it's crunch time . Paul Pearce looked like he couldn't even touch the rim if tried to touch it .
                            Hawks were 20-47, they didn't have many crunch time minutes lol
                            Maybe that's when Vince poured in his 5 PPG?

Comment

Hawks were 20-47, they didn't have many crunch time minutes lol
                              Maybe that's when Vince poured in his 5 PPG?
                              How many millions he collected though?

Comment

How many millions he collected though?
                                Not enough to buy even a Conference Finals appearance

Comment

Working...
                                X