Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toronto Raptors who are still playing Alumni thread ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool discussion.. I am in favour of no max contract, including rookies. Allow rookies to get an extension after 1 or 2 years of play (Doncic should make way more than $8M next season). I also think they should make the tax a lot less harsh so that teams can go over the cap in case they make a dumb mistake (like they will always do - ie, giving something like $40M to a non-elite player).

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      Cool discussion.. I am in favour of no max contract, including rookies. Allow rookies to get an extension after 1 or 2 years of play (Doncic should make way more than $8M next season). I also think they should make the tax a lot less harsh so that teams can go over the cap in case they make a dumb mistake (like they will always do - ie, giving something like $40M to a non-elite player).
      I think that they should be penalized by those decisions with the current system. That's how clubs with better management can excel compared to big-budget clubs.
      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

If you don't think "increasing freedom of movement for players" is code for get all you can, I don't know what to tell you. How many FA in their prime take pay cuts in their next location?

Truth telling time: Are you in a union?
        Nope.

But I have actually studied the history of the CBA and the negotiations therein. Freedom of movement in the NBA is definitely the thing players push for, even more than total salary for players. They've made concessions on one to gain in the other. Again and again.

Some FA in their prime take pay cuts. Not all. But it's all about the players having that choice.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post

I think that they should be penalized by those decisions with the current system. That's how clubs with better management can excel compared to big-budget clubs.
          I get that.. but it could also hurt even well run teams. The max creates a limit as to how much a manager can spend on a player. And sometimes you have to keep talent instead of just letting them walk all the time. Even if that talent isn't a top 10 guy in the league.

Like how much would Pascal have gotten if there was no max?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I get that.. but it could also hurt even well run teams. The max creates a limit as to how much a manager can spend on a player. And sometimes you have to keep talent instead of just letting them walk all the time. Even if that talent isn't a top 10 guy in the league.

Like how much would Pascal have gotten if there was no max?
            No max is a great idea, but for it to really work, it needs to be paired with a hard cap, not a luxury tax, and definitely not a softer luxury tax.

But the players will never go for it. Because the players as a union are not interested in maximizing how much money a single player can make.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• From The Athletic's article on Lue taking over as Clippers' coach..

"Some changes that Lue will bring to the Clippers next season include better ball movement and a faster pace, league sources said".

From Nick Nurse's new book...

"And Kawhi held up his hand and said ‘I ain’t passing for the f—-ing hell of it. My job is to score and draw double and triple teams. When I do, then it’s your job to score.’ And it was very well-timed and very well said by him.”

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                [FONT=arial]From The Athletic's article on Lue taking over as Clippers' coach..

"Some changes that Lue will bring to the Clippers next season include better ball movement and a faster pace, league sources said".

"And Kawhi held up his hand and said ‘I ain’t passing for the f—-ing hell of it. My job is to score and draw double and triple teams. When I do, then it’s your job to score.’ And it was very well-timed and very well said by him.”
                Can I be in the locker room when Lue tells LouWill that it's better for the team to pass up a good shot, so that your teammate can take a better shot? And then follows with wanting him to switch more on defense

All on a team that doesn't have a 'pass-first' point guard

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                  From The Athletic's article on Lue taking over as Clippers' coach..

Apparently the even more interesting tidbit was this here about Kawhi:

"Players like Patrick Beverley, Montrezl Harrell and Lou Williams—Clippers bedrocks before the arrival of Leonard and George—bristled when Leonard was permitted to take games off to manage his body and to live in San Diego, which often led to him being late for team flights, league sources said. The team also allowed Leonard to dictate to Doc Rivers when he could be pulled from games, among other things. Tyronn Lue was on Rivers' bench for all of this, but the Clippers were Rivers' show."
                  I don't have an Athletic membership. This came from this bleacher report article here:
                  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...te-for-flights

Prediction: Bev, Lou and Harrell are all going to be on different teams next year.

Comment

• https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...o-acquire-a-pg Clippers Rumors: Kawhi Leonard 'Privately Clamored' for LA to Acquire a PG

Didn't he have 2 already in T.O ? The last time Kawhi requested something ( playing GM ) from the Clippers ( George )
                    they gave up all of their future to get him

Comment

• So trade Lou Williams, Patrick Beverley, Montrezl Harrel and Marcus Morris Sr for Chris Paul

Paul, George and Leonard.

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                        So trade Lou Williams, Patrick Beverley, Montrezl Harrel and Marcus Morris Sr for Chris Paul

Why would OKC do that deal?

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post

Why would OKC do that deal?
                          Tons of cap relief, plus some good players. Especially if they like Harrell.

Comment

Tons of cap relief, plus some good players. Especially if they like Harrell.
                            I really don't think OKC would even consider that. If they want to sell CP3, it will be for prospects/picks to really move their rebuild along, not for castoffs from the Clippers. Cap relief is all well and good but CP3 will likely have a few suitors, doubt they settle.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

So trade Lou Williams, Patrick Beverley, Montrezl Harrel and Marcus Morris Sr for Chris Paul

Harrell and Morris are UFA's and would need their permission to do S&T's. I'm not sure if either guy would want to go to a rebuilding team like OKC.

Comment

• I think Paul ends up in NY. Leon Rose was Paul's former agent and good friend. I could see him calling up Paul to see if he could come to NY to help mentor the kids there like he did in OKC. They could also send a bunch of picks, and have cap space to absorb his contract without having to give much talent back. Could also pair up Shai with RHJ for example.

Comment

Working...
                                X