Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toronto Raptors who are still playing Alumni thread ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis has talent. Who knew?

Comment

• Davis, Trent Jr. or Flynn. Which two would you rather have right now if you could only have two?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
        Davis, Trent Jr. or Flynn. Which two would you rather have right now if you could only have two?
        When was that a choice? Even so, it doesn’t matter now. Unless we nail that 2nd round Kings pick, we wasted a trade asset.

Comment

• mike, prague wrote: View Post
          How about Terence Davis going off for 27 against Milwaukee last night? Can't say he's missed here, but I wonder if you didn't leave something on the table just getting a 2nd rounder in return.
          golden wrote: View Post

..Unless we nail that 2nd round Kings pick, we wasted a trade asset.
          Agreed, and his 27pt game vs milwaukee doesn't surprise me. He'll likely have many other games like that. That trade is a win for the Kings, they would be hard pressed to find a player like Davis with their second round pick.

From our end, that trade looked hasty from the beginning. If it's the off-court stuff they didn't want to deal with I can understand, but from a pure basketball standpoint, you don't give up a player that made the all-rookie team (and has the clutch/aggressive mentality to take risks even late in games) just because he hit a sophomore wall at the same time the whole team is struggling. To a lesser extent that was also the case for Thomas, who was one of our best playoff performers last year as a rookie, but also hit a sophomore wall on this hotel season.

Even if you don't see a fit long term, you hang on to players like Davis as a piece to strengthen a package for a higher impact player, rather than just a pure second rounder. A second round pick is stuff teams sometimes get for just cash, or for front office people (like the one we got for Weltman when he went to Orlando). Our last second rounders were Jalen Harris and Dewan Hernadez.

We make fun of the Kings office here, but this was a good move for them. All-rookie players like Davis, especially that young, don't just fall on your lap very often. They saw us trying to quickly clear out space for potential incoming players on a Lowry trade and jumped at the chance.
          Last edited by inthepaint; Sun Apr 4, 2021, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Davis had 31 last year, they knew.

He was disappointing this year, Thomas too. TDs thing was just the low IQ. Like not a skill that needs to be developed, the guy just made bad decisions constantly. Wasn't good on defence. Looked like Diet Nate Robinson.

Even so, dropping him and Thomas was a little strange when no major trade materialized. But Evan Fournier only got 2 seconds and he's an established NBA rotation player. Fringe NBA guys just don't have a lot of value. Every team already has a few of them. Including a young one or two who maybe one day will be dependable. Not exactly a rarity.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• “I’m happy to be here, happy to just be in Sacramento, man, I’ve got a fresh, clean start. I was dealing with a lot over in Toronto, as far as mental wise.”

“My rookie year, I would say I had a pretty good year. I was an undrafted player -- going undrafted and making all-rookie second team. And then for the unfortunate situation to go down and then things just flipped, like that, it’s almost like the world was against me and my back was against the wall. Like I said, I’m just thankful, I thank God for just putting me through that situation and helping me get out of it, man.”
              well I was saying Toronto was going to force him out. After those allegations his days in Toronto were numbered.
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• And Davis is still inconsistent. He had 8 pts vs Lakers and 6 pts vs San Antonio, 14 pts prior vs San Antonio and 6 pts vs Cleveland. He'll stay inconsistent like that.

Comment

• He's RFA too and probably knew they wouldn't resign him. So it's either lose him for nothing in free agency or get second round pick

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    And Davis is still inconsistent. He had 8 pts vs Lakers and 6 pts vs San Antonio, 14 pts prior vs San Antonio and 6 pts vs Cleveland. He'll stay inconsistent like that.
                    And yet TD is still a positive player with us and the Kangz, regardless. But we prefer to gift development minutes to less talented players like Stanley and Yuta for whatever reason. Fred and Norm were even more inconsistent until we put them in positions to succeed with consistent minutes.

Hopefully that’s changed with how we develop Malachi, even if that’s only out of necessity with Lowry out.

Comment

He's RFA too and probably knew they wouldn't resign him. So it's either lose him for nothing in free agency or get second round pick
                      The way we’ve messed up his development, we could easily match and the price would be low.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

And yet TD is still a positive player with us and the Kangz, regardless. But we prefer to gift development minutes to less talented players like Stanley and Yuta for whatever reason. Fred and Norm were even more inconsistent until we put them in positions to succeed with consistent minutes.

Hopefully that’s changed with how we develop Malachi, even if that’s only out of necessity with Lowry out.
                        You know they put focus on defense. If you can't play consistent defense you don't play under Nurse.

Comment

You know they put focus on defense. If you can't play consistent defense you don't play under Nurse.
                          We are in the bottom half of the league in defense.... how did that work out? You also need to play to the strengths of your personnel. It’s a balance. Not every player can be a 2-way stud like Kawhi. That said... coaches like Pop are able to teach defense to guys like Tony Parker. Even Demar has gotten a lot better on that side of the ball.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

We are in the bottom half of the league in defense.... how did that work out? You also need to play to the strengths of your personnel. It’s a balance. Not every player can be a 2-way stud like Kawhi. That said... coaches like Pop are able to teach defense to guys like Tony Parker. Even Demar has gotten a lot better on that side of the ball.
                            Yeah you need to play to strength of your personnel. Like FVV, Siakam and OG. you don't adjust because of Davis or Thomas.

But in the end Davis got traded because they think he's wife beater so..maybe they could've had something but it is what it is
                            Last edited by MixxAOR; Sun Apr 4, 2021, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Masai traded Norm to Portland and Thomas to Utah.. two great environments. Yet, they traded Davis to Sacramento.

I think that right there was telling. They didn't really care for Davis, and just wanted him gone.

Comment

• I'm not gonna assume, but given all of the incidents with TD, his alleged assault, poking a hole in his mask, seems like he could have character issues that seeped into the locker room and Raptors decided to just trade him somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                                X