Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toronto Raptors who are still playing Alumni thread ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    Man i remember kobe being such a villlian to me i always wanted to see the lakers lose. Then in the final 3 years or so of his career i could put the animosity aside and just respect his greatness. His last game aired at the same time the Warriors were going for win 73. I choose the Kobe game and that performance was the best send off i have ever seen.
    Outside the game he was a hero to most of the guys in the league right now just look at how many 24s there are. Seeing him with his daughters court side you could tell he was a great dad and his daughter could do anything she wanted. Inside and outside the game of basketball.
    He was so entrenched in our culture even if you didn't follow the game, countless times people have shot a crumpled up piece of paper at the trash can yelling "Kobe"
    He was supposed to be a part of this game for a long time, mentoring his daughters and players alike. Sitting courtside like Bill russel late into his life. The NBA will never be the same.
    R.I.P

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    Kobe - honour and respect, thanks for the memories.

Leave a comment:

• RandomGuy
    replied
    Tall guys often have fatal heart disease issues. Wouldn't be surprised if it was stroke.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Mack North wrote: View Post
    RIP Robert Archibald. Casually known in Raptorland as one half of The Bash Brothers. 39 is way too young.
    That's right.. with Lonny Baxter. 39 is way too young indeed. Wonder what happened?

Leave a comment:

• Mack North
    replied
    RIP Robert Archibald. Casually known in Raptorland as one half of The Bash Brothers. 39 is way too young.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    Oh shit, so young

Leave a comment:

• Ebonhawke
    replied
    Wasn't sure where to put this

Former Raptor Robert Archibald passes away at 39

https://www.tsn.ca/former-toronto-ra...t-39-1.1432555

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

It would be weird. It's like your big brother coming back and trying to tell you how you should do this, that and the other with your life. Meanwhile, you've become a world-renowned brain surgeon and your big brother is still working at McDonalds. (ok, not quite McDonalds, but you get the analogy. lol.)
    DeMar left as the McD Assistant Manager but would have to come back as the fry guy ....

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

The only way we should take DeMar back is if he comes back for ~$10M per year and agrees to come in first off the bench for 12 minutes per night .... and never talk to Lowry

All kidding aside, I think he, partnered with Kyle again, would slowly destroy chemistry here
    It would be weird. It's like your big brother coming back and trying to tell you how you should do this, that and the other with your life. Meanwhile, you've become a world-renowned brain surgeon and your big brother is still working at McDonalds. (ok, not quite McDonalds, but you get the analogy. lol.)

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
    JV was the victim of Casey iso virus with Derozan as the coach’s carrier.

The only time JV got a pass from Derozan was at the last 4 seconds of the play.

So JV is a good place right now, great for him.

I digress, People are suggesting that we should trade for Derozan. Siakam will probably ask for a trade in a heartbeat. Closest Pascal would go near Derozan was that hug during that media scrum post game.
    The only way we should take DeMar back is if he comes back for ~$10M per year and agrees to come in first off the bench for 12 minutes per night .... and never talk to Lowry

All kidding aside, I think he, partnered with Kyle again, would slowly destroy chemistry here

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    JV was the victim of Casey iso virus with Derozan as the coach’s carrier.

The only time JV got a pass from Derozan was at the last 4 seconds of the play.

So JV is a good place right now, great for him.

I digress, People are suggesting that we should trade for Derozan. Siakam will probably ask for a trade in a heartbeat. Closest Pascal would go near Derozan was that hug during that media scrum post game.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Really happy for our boy JV. He's found the role we knew he deserved. Really want him to make the playoffs, and see playoff JV again, except without Caseys leash

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/202...-grizzlies-nba
    Send him his RING!

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Really happy for our boy JV. He's found the role we knew he deserved. Really want him to make the playoffs, and see playoff JV again, except without Caseys leash

It is time to talk about Jonas Valanciunas

Jonas Valanciunas has been playing his best basketball and more people need to start talking about it.

There is a niche role that Valanciunas has in today’s NBA. He is one of the old school bruiser types who gets their money playing tough-nosed basketball earning every rebound he collects. This style contrasts perfectly in this Grizzlies’ rotation. The frontcourt has Jaren Jackson Jr. leading the charge, but he is no where close to a big bodied rebound-first big man. He likes to spread the floor and try to make three-point attempts. Then, number two on the depth chart at the center position is Brandon Clarke. He is another younger, more athletic rim-runner type who can play at a quicker pace than Valanciunas can.

With these two sharing similar styles, Valanciunas has carved out his role on this team and has thrived this year putting up big points and rebounding numbers. He has been a constant that this young Grizzlies team has definitely needed.

The improvements since Jonas Valanciunas has arrived in Memphis are very promising to see. He has adapted his game around this modern NBA and thrived putting up his best numbers of career. These young guys have taken over this team, and he has been along for the ride. It all has been on display in this stretch of the Grizzlies last 11 games. They have won 8 of 11, and Valanciunas has averaged 18.2 points, 10.1 rebounds, 2.4 assists shooting 66.7% from the field.

While Ja and Jaren have the headlines and the spotlight, it is the underlying players such as Jonas Valanciunas who are the constant points and rebounds that keep the team stable. There may not be any high-flying dunks or crazy assists, but it is the simple things he does right each and every game that deserves this recognition.

The Memphis Grizzlies really do look like a playoff team right now. We will see how this progresses up until May and June, but Valanciunas will be a key part of their continued success.
    https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/202...-grizzlies-nba

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post

Why wait?

Roy Halladay retired in 2013, I remember him doing a press conference announcing that he's going to retire a Blue Jay. After that conference I tweeted that the Blue Jays should retire his number the next season. They didn't. They didn't retire his number in 2014, didn't retire his number in 2015, didn't retire his number in 2016, didn't retire his number in 2017. They retired his number in 2018 after his death. Why did they wait that long? We're talking about Roy Halladay here. The greatest pitcher in franchise history and the greatest pitcher of his generation(no exaggeration).

The point is, you never know what's gonna happen. Halladay DESERVED to see his jersey retired and he wasn't alive to see it.
    I don't remember the stories about Roy intentionally tipping his pitches to the other team or saying he didn't try his hardest for long periods of time forcing a bad trade on the Jays that set them back for years.....there's some similarities in their contributions in Toronto but hard to compare the two overall imo. Many teams wait until after a player retires (from wherever) before retiring a jersey.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

What role players would the raps ever retire tho? The only long shot maybe jose? I think theres some merit to it in certain cases. Say Amir johnson played in Toronto his entire career and was part of the Championship team, even if he didn't play a minute. He would probably go into the rafters. I think we should make vince wait, he'll go up there but not 1st out of principal.
    Why wait?

Roy Halladay retired in 2013, I remember him doing a press conference announcing that he's going to retire a Blue Jay. After that conference I tweeted that the Blue Jays should retire his number the next season. They didn't. They didn't retire his number in 2014, didn't retire his number in 2015, didn't retire his number in 2016, didn't retire his number in 2017. They retired his number in 2018 after his death. Why did they wait that long? We're talking about Roy Halladay here. The greatest pitcher in franchise history and the greatest pitcher of his generation(no exaggeration).

The point is, you never know what's gonna happen. Halladay DESERVED to see his jersey retired and he wasn't alive to see it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X