Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors are severely underrated

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Raptors are severely underrated

    I'm pretty sure most of you guys know this already but I'm gonna bring an in-depth analysis to this to prove my point. Outside of our fan base, most fans place the Raptors at about the 5th seed some even place them at the 6th seed. A noticeable team that I think is over hyped are the Wizards. Many people believe that on potential and experience alone will get the Wizards to the third seed and possibly the ECF. Now I don't doubt that but people just don't give the Raptors enough credit for their successful run from last year and how continuity can shock the NBA world.

    *Injured

    Roster Comparison:

    Wizards: Raptors:
    PG: Wall, Miller Lowry, Vazquez, Williams
    SG: Beal*, Rice, Temple DeRozan, Fields
    SF: Pierce, Webster, Porter, Butler Ross, J.Johnson, Caboclo
    PF: Nene, Humphries, Gooden A.Johnson, Patterson, Hansbrough
    C: Gortat, Blair, Seraphin Valanciunas, Stiemsma, Hayes, Nogueira

    The Wizards, although have a promising backcourt of Wall and Beal, Beal is injured for the time being, and even if Beal wasn't injured, DeRozan would be the superior player.

    At the SF position, Ross and Pierce go at it. I think at the time being, Ross and Pierce have their own advantages and disadvantages that affect the match up. Though I would slightly lean on Ross because of his youth, athleticism, and potential while Pierce's age and durability are in question to whether he can keep up with the young guns. (Ps. Experience is overrated, I believe experience is valuable but people overrate it too much)

    At the PF and C position, Nene is superior against Amir I have to admit that but JV I think will get the better of Gortat this year. JV is much improved (Footwork, post moves, not as much of the stupid pump fake, better positioning, rebounding)

    Our bench is much superior to the Wizards bench. We have the luxury of having two scoring guards which can both create for others and shoot well. (GV can get hot at times, then go cold but his floater is money) Patterson is still in his youth and can shoot, rebound, and play defense. We have a defensive stopper in James Johnson.

    Some key points:
    Wizards:
    • Pierces age
    • Beal's injury
    • Lack of bench



    Raptors:
    • Ross poor playoff performance
    • Kyle Lowry contract year
    • Lou Williams ACL injury
    • Raptors were 3-1 against the Wizards


    Some final things to conclude this post is that people outside of the Raptors fanbase fans don't take into account about the 'potential' that the Raptors have in JV and Ross, compared to fans over-hyping the potential of Wall and Beal which I don't deny but the Raptors have serious potential as well. But I believe that some of you guys want the Raptors to be underrated for next season but I'm just frustrated that the Raptors don't get enough credit and that they're not in the conversation of being a top 3 seed by most fans.

  • #2
    All credit the Raptors get will come on the back of wins. I'm not upset that there are fans/journalists/pundits that don't expect them to achieve at a high level. That just makes it sweeter when they do.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sorry man, Washington is very, very good.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hall of famer Nancy Liberman thinks we will go to eastern conference final this year. Not all experts have under valued our team.

        Comment


        • #5
          psrs1 wrote: View Post
          Hall of famer Nancy Liberman thinks we will go to eastern conference final this year. Not all experts have under valued our team.
          She's a woman, opinion doesn't count... hehehe I joke I joke.

          I really don't care about what these "experts" think. They don't know anything more than you or I when they predict these things. As long as my team puts on a good show for me and our fans, I'm happy with that. Most of these "analysts" don't even watch games, they see highlights.
          The Double Champ is here!
          Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
          Raptors: Larry O'Brien

          Comment


          • #6
            I absolutely agree that the Wizards are over rated but it's also true that some teams (eg: Nets) are under rated. Some may even say that the Raptors are over rated and justifiably so. IMO Raps. are a middle of the pack play off team for now but at this rate, can be very good in a year or two.

            I disagree with the Pierce/Ross comparison BTW. Pierce may not be who he was a few years ago but if you compare them, Wizards have the advantage.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

            Comment


            • #7
              too many small things im gonna disagree with.

              RisingRaptors wrote: View Post
              I'm pretty sure most of you guys know this already but I'm gonna bring an in-depth analysis to this to prove my point. Outside of our fan base, most fans place the Raptors at about the 5th seed some even place them at the 6th seed.
              we are not underrated. if anything, the expectations for this team have NEVER been higher than now. if anything, theres a bit too much hype going on and even coach casey agrees with that. and pretty much every analyst has us winning the atlantic which means at worst we get 4th seed. i don't know what situation we would ever get 5th or 6th unless nets or knicks somehow go crazy this year.

              RisingRaptors wrote: View Post
              A noticeable team that I think is over hyped are the Wizards. Many people believe that on potential and experience alone will get the Wizards to the third seed and possibly the ECF. Now I don't doubt that but people just don't give the Raptors enough credit for their successful run from last year and how continuity can shock the NBA world.
              wizards overhyped? they're the ones that almost went to the eastern finals, not us. and i'm not sure what your beef is with "potential and experience". isn't that exactly what we're banking on in order to get out of the first round?

              RisingRaptors wrote: View Post
              Roster Comparison:

              Wizards: Raptors:
              PG: Wall, Miller Lowry, Vazquez, Williams
              SG: Beal*, Rice, Temple DeRozan, Fields
              SF: Pierce, Webster, Porter, Butler Ross, J.Johnson, Caboclo
              PF: Nene, Humphries, Gooden A.Johnson, Patterson, Hansbrough
              C: Gortat, Blair, Seraphin Valanciunas, Stiemsma, Hayes, Nogueira

              The Wizards, although have a promising backcourt of Wall and Beal, Beal is injured for the time being, and even if Beal wasn't injured, DeRozan would be the superior player.

              At the SF position, Ross and Pierce go at it. I think at the time being, Ross and Pierce have their own advantages and disadvantages that affect the match up. Though I would slightly lean on Ross because of his youth, athleticism, and potential while Pierce's age and durability are in question to whether he can keep up with the young guns. (Ps. Experience is overrated, I believe experience is valuable but people overrate it too much)


              At the PF and C position, Nene is superior against Amir I have to admit that but JV I think will get the better of Gortat this year. JV is much improved (Footwork, post moves, not as much of the stupid pump fake, better positioning, rebounding)

              Our bench is much superior to the Wizards bench. We have the luxury of having two scoring guards which can both create for others and shoot well. (GV can get hot at times, then go cold but his floater is money) Patterson is still in his youth and can shoot, rebound, and play defense. We have a defensive stopper in James Johnson.
              not going to comment on all of this but i'll say a few things. GV's floater is fucking horrible and one of patrick pattersons biggest weaknesses is rebounding. also, where are these random facts about JV coming from? better positioning? not much of a pump fake? did you even watch preseason at all? rebounding was one of the worst things we did!

              RisingRaptors wrote: View Post
              Some final things to conclude this post is that people outside of the Raptors fanbase fans don't take into account about the 'potential' that the Raptors have in JV and Ross, compared to fans over-hyping the potential of Wall and Beal which I don't deny but the Raptors have serious potential as well. But I believe that some of you guys want the Raptors to be underrated for next season but I'm just frustrated that the Raptors don't get enough credit and that they're not in the conversation of being a top 3 seed by most fans.
              why the fuck are wall and beal overhyped but not JV and ross? you completely dismiss 'potential' making the wizards any better but all of a sudden 'potential' of our players means a whole lot? homerism at its best. wall and beal are gonna be the best backcourt in the east. terrence ross *may* be a good and hopefully consistent 3 and D guy. thats about it so far.
              Last edited by iblastoff; Wed Oct 29, 2014, 01:56 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Washington is a very good team. I too would give them an advantage because they advanced to the 2nd round as an underdog. Although they didn't improve their team. They did get veteran leadership from Paul Pierce, who is still a very good player and a Raptor killer, but losing Ariza will hurt them. He is a very good 3 and D guy that complemented their games, and was key to their playoff success last season.

                The Raptors though got their core back and filled in the important holes in their roster (James Johnson, Lou Williams, Greg Steasma).

                I actually prefer us being the underdog than us being overrated (*cough Blue Jays, *cough Maple Leafs, *cough TFC).

                Comment


                • #9
                  2KJ wrote: View Post
                  Washington is a very good team. I too would give them an advantage because they advanced to the 2nd round as an underdog. Although they didn't improve their team. They did get veteran leadership from Paul Pierce, who is still a very good player and a Raptor killer, but losing Ariza will hurt them. He is a very good 3 and D guy that complemented their games, and was key to their playoff success last season.

                  The Raptors though got their core back and filled in the important holes in their roster (James Johnson, Lou Williams, Greg Steasma).

                  I actually prefer us being the underdog than us being overrated (*cough Blue Jays, *cough Maple Leafs, *cough TFC).
                  i agree with preferring the underdog mentality. at this rate with the hype, if we don't get 50+ wins and proceed past the first round, everyones gonna be super pissed.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    iblastoff wrote: View Post
                    we are not underrated. if anything, the expectations for this team have NEVER been higher than now. if anything, theres a bit too much hype going on and even coach casey agrees with that. and pretty much every analyst has us winning the atlantic which means at worst we get 4th seed. i don't know what situation we would ever get 5th or 6th unless nets or knicks somehow go crazy this year.
                    The Raptors underrated by maybe about 4 wins, I think. Most pundits (and the Vegas over/under) have them winning the same as last year, around 48 wins. That is below the pace they were setting post Rudy Gay trade, despite the fact that the whole team is the same plus the additions of Lou Williams and James Johnson. The fact that expectations haven't been higher since the year after the 2nd round loss to the Sixers does not mean that they are necessarily high enough by the NBA world.


                    wizards overhyped? they're the ones that almost went to the eastern finals, not us. and i'm not sure what your beef is with "potential and experience". isn't that exactly what we're banking on in order to get out of the first round?
                    I think you and a few others are putting too much stock in the 5 games the Wizards played against the Bulls in the first round last year and not enough to the fact that the Raptors were pretty clearly the better team during the majority of the regular season. Maybe Beal and Wall have more room for improvement and are more likely to improve this year than Ross, Valanciunas and DeRozan, but that's really the only argument you have for Washington being better. Pierce for Ariza is a wash at best, and their bench is not nearly as good as the Raps.

                    if we don't get 50+ wins and proceed past the first round, everyones gonna be super pissed.
                    It will be a step back. Teams fall below expectations all the time, because players do take steps back occasionally. But based on how the team was playing last year, 50 wins is a realistic number.
                    Last edited by Other Scott; Wed Oct 29, 2014, 02:05 PM.
                    That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Other Scott wrote: View Post
                      The Raptors underrated by maybe about 4 wins, I think. Most pundits (and the Vegas over/under) have them winning the same as last year, around 48 wins. That is below the pace they were setting post Rudy Gay trade, despite the fact that the whole team is the same plus the additions of Lou Williams and James Johnson. The fact that expectations haven't been higher since the year after the 2nd round loss to the Sixers does not mean that they are necessarily high enough by the NBA world.
                      and what about the pace of the wizards before nene had to sit for nearly 20 games? he was a huge contributor in wins for the team. and now the wizards finally have decent backup in humphries for when/if nene goes down.


                      Other Scott wrote: View Post
                      I think you and a few others are putting too much stock in the 5 games the Wizards played against the Bulls in the first round last year and not enough to the fact that the Raptors were pretty clearly the better team during the majority of the regular season. Maybe Beal and Wall have more room for improvement and are more likely to improve this year than Ross, Valanciunas and DeRozan, but that's really the only argument you have for Washington being better. Pierce for Ariza is a wash at best, and their bench is not nearly as good as the Raps.
                      who cares which team was a bit better in the regular season if that doesn't translate to wins in the playoffs. and no one here is saying washington is definitely better than the raptors. but its weird when people spew a bunch of crap about "oh the wizards are overrated! potential and experience is dumb!" but then say the exact opposite of the raptors and how 'potential and experience' make us clearly the better team. literally makes no sense whatsoever.

                      Other Scott wrote: View Post
                      It will be a step back. Teams fall below expectations all the time, because players do take steps back occasionally. But based on how the team was playing last year, 50 wins is a realistic number.
                      i don't think we're gonna hit 50. but id be happy with anything 45 and up.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        iblastoff wrote: View Post



                        i don't think we're gonna hit 50. but id be happy with anything 45 and up.
                        You'd be happy with a 45-37 finish?

                        Well, that makes one of us...
                        It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The over/under right now is 48 wins, which is last year's record.

                          I don't think they'll blow that out of the water. Charlotte, Washington, Detroit, and the Bucks will all be better this year, and I think Casey is actively going to try and limit Demar, Amir and Lowry's minutes during the regular season. But I would say not being handicapped by Rudy Gay, and replacing Novak, Fields and Salmons with Johnson and Lou Williams is worth at least a couple more wins.

                          I think they'll hit 50 wins, and be pleasantly surprised if they do better.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Raptors are going to win 55 games this year. They will be 2nd in the east. We will make the Eastern Conference Finals.

                            (Are we still underrated now??)
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Severely underrated?

                              All but two ESPN pundits have us winning the Atlantic, Vegas has us at 48 wins, every reddit power ranking voter (http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments...from_the_rnba/) has us either third or fourth, and on this forum the majority of votes are for over 50 wins.

                              Maybe you're just focusing in on the outliers. This victim mentality has got to stop. We're definitely fairly rated.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X