Preseason Game 3: Toronto Raptors @ Boston Celtics - Sat Oct 9th, 7pm ET - TSN2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Barnes is so good some of these guys miss out on his passes and reads. Like his pass to Precious that was missed.
    Thats just chemistry issues with having new players playing with each other. They'll get used to it.

Comment

Raptors played without two starters and without two other rotation guys who are familiar with their teammates. Boston wins by two points and are celebrating like they won the first round of the playoffs. Going to be a fun season.

Comment

Boston was missing Brown and Schroder, so that's kinda a wash. The Raps need time to figure some stuff out. Barnes is still making adjustments to the speed and the athleticism of the NBA, but he'll get there. If the media is saying Boston is in the top 6, then we're not that far behind.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Barnes is so good some of these guys miss out on his passes and reads. Like his pass to Precious that was missed.
          Barnes is special. One thing i'd like to see him do more is use his mid range game more because teams are going to play him to pass. Scottie seems very comfortable shooting midrange jump shots.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
            Watched about 10 minutes of preseason and pretty close to exceeding my tolerance of Nurse fucking whining and complaining at the refs for the season. Shut. The. Fuck. Up.
            I agree with this, he's a bad role model for his players, other coaches, and kids. It's one thing to complain every once and while but to lose your mind every third play in a preseason game is just silly.

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post

Barnes is special. One thing i'd like to see him do more is use his mid range game more because teams are going to play him to pass. Scottie seems very comfortable shooting midrange jump shots.
              ... or go to the rim as well. He seems to be able to do it all. Everyone is learning now and finding their place in the new system. It must be a load to handle it all in real time. This will be a good team when everyone gets back and Nurse has decided on personnel mix & rotations.

Comment

Yeah, now we can run plays out of the mid-post which adds a new dimension to the offense. Scottie has shown the ability to easily make that cross-court skip pass to the corner or perimeter, find cutters, or he can just turn and take the jump shot or attack the basket himself. Lots of options if his shot is a threat.

Comment

That was actually a pretty fun game for a preseason. The Raptors were pretty engaged. Not sure why we keep starting Dragic though. The guy has been pretty useless for 3 games. Even missed a gimmie on an open break. Would prefer Svi there (I like Trent coming off the bench to be honest).

Outside that trash first quarter, we hung in. Took the lead, and pretty much lost it whenever either Gillespie of Flynn came in. Those two have been consistently bad this preseason. Freddie I get (he's not good), but Flynn is a mystery. He was okay last year. And was okay even coming off the bench.

Barnes is basically our Gasol replacement. Just put him at the top of the arc and have him initiate on offense. I mean why not right? He's got that skill, and I guess if he wants to take a 3 he can. It's not like Marc was really that good at it. This is what I'd do in the short term until he can become more of a reliable offensive threat. But he's got such great court vision. He set up a few guys for some great plays, but the guys on the other end just flubbed it.

I really really like Achiuawa. He's just a lot of fun. He's not always in control of his body, but that will fix itself as he's still so young. But I could see why we got him in that Lowry S&T and waited until the off season to make that move.

Trent got a layup! He also hit a few shots, so that's good for his confidence. But he's not a great defender. Feels like he just keeps losing his man as he's so aggressive on close outs for some reason. But still really young.

OG and Fred came to play in this one. OG is already worth more than that contract he signed and will look so much better when the cap goes up again.

Banton brought good energy. Bonga only played a little, but he keeps impressing me. I think it was a pass to a Svi 3, but how he set him was brilliant. He's the guy I'd want as the second signing (after Yuta). Dekker sighting! Hit a big 3 too! And I love that big shot by Johnson but come on dude! Fouling Boston when it was a tie game with like 6 seconds left and they were in the bonus as they were inbounding the ball? That's a bench worthy play right there.

And yea Tatum is ridiculous.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, Dragic is dragging down the starting unit. Can’t start Trent because you need ball-handling in the backcourt to help FVV. Svi is a decent option there.
                    I think they can and absolutely should start Trent at the 2. Svi is a nice option off the bench.

The real question will be whether they move Trent, Barnes or the nominal C to the bench once Pascal is back. In the meantime, Birch, Barnes, OG, Trent, FVV is a pretty easy answer for who starts. With Achiuwa free to do some funky stuff with the bench, Dragic there to provide some stability, and guys like Yuta and Svi to give the bench and transition looks the glue they so often need. Then when Pascal and Boucher are back, both lineups get a scoring infusion, plus whatever talent is pushed from the starters to the bench.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

I think they can and absolutely should start Trent at the 2. Svi is a nice option off the bench.

The real question will be whether they move Trent, Barnes or the nominal C to the bench once Pascal is back. In the meantime, Birch, Barnes, OG, Trent, FVV is a pretty easy answer for who starts. With Achiuwa free to do some funky stuff with the bench, Dragic there to provide some stability, and guys like Yuta and Svi to give the bench and transition looks the glue they so often need. Then when Pascal and Boucher are back, both lineups get a scoring infusion, plus whatever talent is pushed from the starters to the bench.
                      Eespecially the way they play currently. You can have FVV finishing plays along with GTJ. Barnes or Siakam can start plays.

Comment

His 3 is still a work in progress, but I'm impressed with his fadeaway, didn't know he had that in his bag.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

When I see it laid out like this I am impressed with the existing talent and the potential to get better.

Comment

Precious' ability to hit open jumpers has me wanting to see him start but I forget sometimes how well Birch fit with the starters last season. A good problem to have and I think both will have an opportunity to start so we'll find out who plays the best with the core guys.

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post

His 3 is still a work in progress, but I'm impressed with his fadeaway, didn't know he had that in his bag.
                              Scottie isn't missing the 3 as badly as he was in Summerleague and in College. No airballs, no bricks, no wild misses, which is a good sign, hopefully he can start knocking a couple down soon.

Comment

I was able to catch some highlights of the game.

OG’s dribble sidestep made shots against an opposing hand, that was quiet impressive. His confidence is oozing. I am so eager to see his chemistry with Siakam and Barnes.

Scottie is a very quick thinker player, reacts positively on the fly and finding cutters and spot shooters is a very nice trait for a no.4 pick

GTJ thrives well with Scottie on the floor. They seem to be developing a nice chemistry.

Comment

Working...
                                X