Stats and Trivia 2014-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stats and Trivia 2014-15

This thread is for anyone to post stats or fun trivia, about the Raps or anyone else. Feel free to discuss any of the stats too. Hopefully they can spur some discussion.

After one game (and everyone in the league has played except CLE and LAC), every Raptor starter is top 5 in a statistical category.

Lowry - assists/game (4th)
    Derozan - steals/game (t-1st), steal % (1st)
    Johnson - blocks/game (t-4th)
    Valanciunas - FG% (3rd) Ortg (3rd)
    Ross - turnover % (tied with half the league for 1st lol)

Also Val is 9th in PER, 7th in TS%, and 6th in WS/48.

Not a bad start to the season! Raps obviously deserve the Larry O'Brien trophy, let's just call it a season.
    Last edited by Scraptor; Fri Jan 23, 2015, 09:53 AM.

lol, let this eventually be a lesson in small samples sizes

Comment

How about the playoffs start now?

I think Boston would be in the postseason
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

If the playoffs started now, we would be playing Indiana in the first round as the 5 seed. I'd take that.

Also, Chicago and Cleveland would play in the 1st round, so they both can't go to the conference finals.

This is fun.
        That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          lol, let this eventually be a lesson in small samples sizes
          Lol, I thought it'd be clear I was kidding around with the TRoss one and the Larry O'Brien comment. That's why I called it stats and trivia. The OP was definitely trivial.

Anyways, here's another one:

DeMar set a Raptors franchise record for most steals on opening night, besting Kyle Lowry's 5 in 2012 and Alvin Robertson's 5 in 1995.

And Steph Curry is leading the league in DRating, which surely has to be a first.

Comment

all kidding aside though. I'd be curious to see where they are at around the 20 game mark. I think, and this is completely arbitrary, that 20 games is a strong sample size giving a good indication of where we are at
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
              Lol, I thought it'd be clear I was kidding around with the TRoss one and the Larry O'Brien comment. That's why I called it stats and trivia. The OP was definitely trivial.

Anyways, here's another one:

DeMar set a Raptors franchise record for most steals on opening night, besting Kyle Lowry's 5 in 2012 and Alvin Robertson's 5 in 1995.

And Steph Curry is leading the league in DRating, which surely has to be a first.
              Curry had six steals last night as well.. DeMar and Steph are chasing each other for the DPOY this year.

Comment

Note that the Raps are shooting around 25% from three through three games. I mentioned it in the preseason offense review thread as something we seemed to be struggling with, and it's still very early, but it's something to keep your eye on going forward.

Also note that the worst two nights of 3-point shooting were the nights we had 13 assists (ORL) and 11 assists (MIA) as a team. Fairly self-evident but I thought I'd point it out.

Comment

Still very early, and a very very small sample size, but through 5 games, some highlights:

Raps are 3rd in Ortg. This is largely due to being 2nd in both FTM/g and FTA/g. This has helped compensate for our abysmal 28.2% shooting from downtown, which is 27th in the league. We've also increased our fastbreak points per game by about 6, which is a dramatic increase. Our pace has moved up about two possessions per game, or about eight spots overall.

Our 18.2 assists/game is 28th in the league, and down 14.1% year over year. HOWEVER, we have the fewest turnovers in the league, by a margin wide enough to actually result in a league-best assist/turnover ratio.

On D, we're 19th in the league in DRatg. We're 29th in the league in rebounding and 27th in rebounding differential.

We have the 27th worst 1st-quarter margin in the league, and the 11th best 4th-quarter margin.

Overall, we're 6th in the league in point differential, but according to teamrankings.com, our strength of schedule has been 17th.

In terms of notable player ranks, Kyle and Jonas are 13th and 14th in PER, while Kyle is 8th in WS/48.

On the not-so-great side, DeMar is 4th in usage while posting an abysmal 48.4% TS, though his steal rate still ranks him 7th.

Quirky game trivia: Of the 96 times a Raptor has scored 35 points in a game, Kyle's 35 points in 17 FGA against Boston was the 9th best point/FGA ratio performance in team history. Very efficient!

Anyways, lots of waiting and seeing still ahead. I think we've missed a ton of wide-open looks from 3 and the D still looks ramshackle, so there are definitely better times coming On the flip side, we haven't faced any of the true contenders at full strength, so the real tests are yet to come too.

Comment

Enjoying the posts with stats and trivia very much.

Thanks Sraptor

Comment

Liking these posts be Scraptor

Keep up the good work
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

We have set an NBA record for most games to start a season with under 10 turnovers in each game
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

Our 18.2 assists/game is 28th in the league, and down 14.1% year over year. HOWEVER, we have the fewest turnovers in the league, by a margin wide enough to actually result in a league-best assist/turnover ratio.
                          This is kind of amazing. Despite being a bottom 5 team in assists they have committed so few turnovers that they still lead the league in assist/turnover ratio.

The team's turnover ratio is astounding right now. Combine that with the fact that they are a top 5 team in forcing turnovers, and that's pretty much why they're 4-1 - (and 5-0 against the spread! Despite not looking great, the team has exceeded Vegas expectations every single game).

Comment

Certainly not the only thing, but the the team's shooting woes are having a very big affect on the ASTs. I've seen some posts explaining the low ASTs directly to poor ball movement only. They'd be higher if guys were making open shots, but an unusual number have been missed. That will correct itself before long. But 4-1, after a 4 game in 5 day stretch, and they haven't come close to paying a complete game yet. They've got shit to work on, especially on defense, but the season is setting up nicely!

Comment

chico wrote: View Post
                              Certainly not the only thing, but the the team's shooting woes are having a very big affect on the ASTs. I've seen some posts explaining the low ASTs directly to poor ball movement only. They'd be higher if guys were making open shots, but an unusual number have been missed. That will correct itself before long. But 4-1, after a 4 game in 5 day stretch, and they haven't come close to paying a complete game yet. They've got shit to work on, especially on defense, but the season is setting up nicely!
                              Sure. You don't get assists on free throws.

Comment

Working...
                              X