Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAME ONE, 2021-22 SEASON: Washington Wizards @ Toronto Raptors - Wed Oct 20th 7:30pmET TSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

I don't really get this line of thinking. Nick can be bad for it, sure. But pretty much every coach in the league does it. It's not like the refs are like, "geez, for some reason this Nick guy is the only one giving us a hard time..."
    It's agreed that lots of coaches complain, but nick seems to do it more often and take it to another level. I get that he cares if he wins, but screaming at the zebras the entire game isn't the way.
    Maybe it's just as bad at other teams and we don't notice it as much, but it sure doesn't seem like it.
    Besides, if everyone is horrible, is that really the benchmark we want to reach for?

Comment

• Dvdvideo wrote: View Post

It's agreed that lots of coaches complain, but nick seems to do it more often and take it to another level. I get that he cares if he wins, but screaming at the zebras the entire game isn't the way.
      Maybe it's just as bad at other teams and we don't notice it as much, but it sure doesn't seem like it.
      Besides, if everyone is horrible, is that really the benchmark we want to reach for?
      I don't think it's about being horrible. It's part of a coach's job to work the referee over the course of a game and make sure the team is getting a fair whistle... (an area where Raptors have historically gotten the short end of the stick.) I certainly feel like I've seen every coach do it and I don't perceive Nick being exceptional in that regard. He makes some good meme faces... that can't be denied.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

I don't think it's about being horrible. It's part of a coach's job to work the referee over the course of a game and make sure the team is getting a fair whistle... (an area where Raptors have historically gotten the short end of the stick.) I certainly feel like I've seen every coach do it and I don't perceive Nick being exceptional in that regard. He makes some good meme faces... that can't be denied.
        I can agree he can be funny, and that the raps get screwed too often.

Comment

• One other thing, I hope Siakam is back soon. If the raps roll off a bunch of losses without our best player, nobody will say that's the reason, they will just start to say they suck. If he had played tonight, between his 22-24 points and his defense, we could have won.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
            On the bright side, Nurse said some lineups looked like they didn't work well together and will be looking at it and adjusting rotations. Tough to have a whole lot of new guys play together. Hoping Dragic comes off the bench and GTJ gets the start. He'll fit better in the starting lineup where he can just focus on getting open and shooting.
            Ideally the lineups are all figured out in preseason, but I suppose we used those games to decide on the roster playing all the guys fighting for contracts. Hope we don't have more of these stinkers while Nick figures it out.

Comment

On the bright side, Nurse said some lineups looked like they didn't work well together and will be looking at it and adjusting rotations. Tough to have a whole lot of new guys play together. Hoping Dragic comes off the bench and GTJ gets the start. He'll fit better in the starting lineup where he can just focus on getting open and shooting.
              The only thing is I have this feeling the lineups he thought didn't work are not the same ones you and I think lol. He's always been bad with lineups. Playing the wrong guys together. It was part of why we started 2-8 last season. I bet you anything he doesn't change the Dragic starting thing.
              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Pretty much everything went wrong last night on offense. It's not possible to play worse than that.

Bright spots: Scottie, Banton, Dragic

Nowhere to go but up.

Comment

• I checked the boxscore and the Raps actually out rebounded the Wiz and had 19 offensive boards. It really does look like it came down to poor shooting in this one.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Ideally the lineups are all figured out in preseason, but I suppose we used those games to decide on the roster playing all the guys fighting for contracts. Hope we don't have more of these stinkers while Nick figures it out.
                    Well lineups are gonna look a lot worse when 4 of your players shoot 13/56 combined. It was the first game in 8 days so hopefully its just rust.

Comment

• I think it's safe to say it won't be this bad
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Well lineups are gonna look a lot worse when 4 of your players shoot 13/56 combined. It was the first game in 8 days so hopefully its just rust.
                          The Raptors offense is completely reliant on hitting threes. If they don't make lots of threes there are simply no other ways for them to score other than in transition. I don't know what the magic number is but 20% from beyond the arc in a game isn't good enough even if the other team is worse. When you're shooting 35-40 threes a game you need to make them.

Now, you might ask, how does that align with creating a roster of 6'7 guys with diverse skillsets who are good passers, movers and potentially playmakers but not great shooters? Don't know. But it is what it is and it isn't changing.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                            Dragic can't be in that starting lineup, that's the 4th game we've seen it and they always come out flat. OG has to play better. Fred was the only player in the starting lineup that was doing anything, and then the rest of the game he tried too hard. I feel like if Precious would've hit those two alley's to start the game they may have given the team more lift. Overall, everyone played poorly... except Banton.

Losing by 15 with that kind of performance is a bit encouraging. Just hoping this isn't the normal performance.
                            Bad Fred was definitely in the house last night. The guy who doesn't trust his teammates, isn't making easy passes, and is trying to do way too much himself.

Comment

• Flynn didn't see the floor ... must have been Banton showing as well as he did.... Flynn must not be feeling too good about this.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

The Raptors offense is completely reliant on hitting threes. If they don't make lots of threes there are simply no other ways for them to score other than in transition. I don't know what the magic number is but 20% from beyond the arc in a game isn't good enough even if the other team is worse. When you're shooting 35-40 threes a game you need to make them.

Now, you might ask, how does that align with creating a roster of 6'7 guys with diverse skillsets who are good passers, movers and potentially playmakers but not great shooters? Don't know. But it is what it is and it isn't changing.
                                Well, yeah most offenses rely on hitting 3's in order to space the floor to do other things. Especially when those teams, like the Raps, don't have anyone with a post game. I was hoping having a a line up of big players would allow them to finish easily around the basket, but that was not the case last night. Wiz were able to block or disrupt a lot of those attempts.

Comment

Working...
                                X