Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAME THREE, 2021-22 SEASON: Dallas Mavericks @ Toronto Raptors - Saturday, Oct 23rd - 7:30pmET TSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer
    replied
    Dvdvideo wrote: View Post
    ...the foul trouble was crippling.
    Indicator of the low average number of years in the league for a lot of Raptors players. This will self-correct in the short term as guys learn when and how to swipe at the ball.

Speaking of which, that foul on Delano that Luka got with an exaggerated swipe through. I thought they stopped allowing that a year or two ago?

Leave a comment:

• Dvdvideo
    replied
    The game was closer than the final score indicated, if not for some red hot guarded shooting by the mavs it could have easy come down to the last play. Also the foul trouble was crippling.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    I thought this was a good game, mostly. Ran out of gas, ran out of fouls. The margin of error will be slim until Pascal is back, so when key guys are in foul trouble you're going to rely too much on the bench guys.

I don't like how much of that reliance is going to Svi. He's been bad - looking forward to Yuta taking his slot. Although Pascal back may mean neither get to play unless Boucher keeps struggling.

I thought Banton should have been in earlier, late 2nd when stuff was falling apart. I do think they should also give Flynn a shot, especially on a night like that where they need shooting and playmaking and are deep enough in foul trouble to need multiple bench contributors.

Still, mostly good signs in this one. Love Scottie more every game. OG finding his groove was nice. Look for OG and Fred to really pop off once Siakam is back. Gotta keep grinding games out until then, if they can keep .500 in sight they should be in good shape from there.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    I don’t mind Dragic playing if he’s helping the young guys develop… which he is. He’s the only player able to run pick and role with Precious, he’s always in Scottie’s ear. If those guys can’t outplay him, maybe they should get some experience in the Gleague.

I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Banton already, but he could benefit from running the 905 for a bit.

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

I was high on Flynn pre season and was worried that we were going to stunt his development at the benefit of dragic..

But Flynn has just straight up sucked.. Summer league pre season and i am assuming in practice.. He's a 2nd year guy he shouldn't be just handed playing time based on age he has to earn it.. And all he has done so far is get outworked/ out played by Banton a younger more raw guy..That's not getting him any time. Now he is probably going to have to wait for an injury to get some time to prove he is ready, He was 1st up of the fringe rotation guy to benefit from lowrys departure and he lost that opportunity.

Nick and the team gave him a chance and he kinda fucked it up, i think he has potential and will get another crack at it in due time but at the moment i don't see a reason to finger point at anyone but himself
    Fair enough if the argument is between Flynn vs. Banton

but if it is between Flynn vs. Dragic then that conversation will have no merit more so between Banton vs. Dragic

Thats my point

Leave a comment:

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
    apples and oranges

Warriors are aiming to Contend, Raptors are not.

Dragic is not a difference maker.

Flynn getting 14 minutes out of Dragic is for the bigger picture

practice is way different than live action

Not only Flynn, Banton, Champagnie and Johnson included
    I was high on Flynn pre season and was worried that we were going to stunt his development at the benefit of dragic..

But Flynn has just straight up sucked.. Summer league pre season and i am assuming in practice.. He's a 2nd year guy he shouldn't be just handed playing time based on age he has to earn it.. And all he has done so far is get outworked/ out played by Banton a younger more raw guy..That's not getting him any time. Now he is probably going to have to wait for an injury to get some time to prove he is ready, He was 1st up of the fringe rotation guy to benefit from lowrys departure and he lost that opportunity.

Nick and the team gave him a chance and he kinda fucked it up, i think he has potential and will get another crack at it in due time but at the moment i don't see a reason to finger point at anyone but himself

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    Im fine with that, 3 minutes though for Banton does not cut it.

NicK Nurse has some trust issues ever since, historically he has some favorites and he having a vet as a second ball handler makes him sleep better at night

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    Flynn has been surpassed by Banton and isn't gonna get minutes, because we barely have any for Banton. If we move Dragic that will open up some minutes for Flynn but still not much, I'd expect most of those to go to Banton.

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    apples and oranges

Warriors are aiming to Contend, Raptors are not.

Dragic is not a difference maker.

Flynn getting 14 minutes out of Dragic is for the bigger picture

practice is way different than live action

Not only Flynn, Banton, Champagnie and Johnson included

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

Spurs drafted a Canadian kid in the lottery and has only played a total of 3 minutes in 3 games. And the Spurs are also one of the best organizations at developing young players.
    Same with the Warriors, they aren't going to let either Kuminga or Moody get a longer leash until they are satisfied they reach a certain level in their development by helping the team first in smaller assignments instead of padding their own stats.

The Spurs organization seem to invest the most in player development. When Poeltl was traded to the Spurs he actually gotten less minutes than he did in Toronto. It's been a slower process with Poeltl but this year he seems to finally get it & is rewarded with increase in minutes on the floor.

Flynn time will come but it's obviously he isn't showing enough in practice at the moment that makes the team a whole lot better when he is in the lineup than someone else.

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

They didn’t have FVV guarding Luka… he hunted Fred on switches and then passed over his head to the FT line … usually to Powell, who swung the ball for an open corner 3. They ran that play over and over again. Jason Kidd out-chessed Nurse for one night.
    We were okay defensively on the first half, because they had OG and Scottie with fresh legs and out of foul trouble hounding Luka. That's what it takes to contain elite players like him: long, athletic wings doubling and alternating coverage on the playmaker, and on the outlet shooter (Hardaway). They did that successfully for the first half.

Then the ticky-tacky fouls (often dubious) started to mount, OG and Scottie got in foul trouble, and the physical strain of the back-to-back started to show. Kidd didn't have to adjust anything. He knew we couldn't keep that defensive intensity on a b2b for the whole game, without Pascal, without getting in foul trouble. He just had to hang around on the scoreboard. The kind of defence Nurse wants to run is very mentally and physically demanding. It's elite and very much worth it, but you need 3 things for it:
    --Peak physical stamina (which typically happens only later in the season, for every team)
    --Depth, so you can rotate fresh legs in without losing quality
    --Crisp rotations and communication

On a back to back, with Pascal (and even Yuta) out, you're not gonna get that for 48 minutes. And that's alright, as long as your offence is there for you to keep you afloat. It wasn't, we can't shoot, so it's an L.

In summary: Defence is not our problem. We have a coach with the right ideas, and the young legs with the right mentality and body types to execute it. From time to time though, there will be injuries, back to backs, and superstars getting a lot of calls. That puts a strain on your defence (even if it's well founded), so your offence needs to come through and help your defence too, rather than always the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

The team has operated this way for a while. We always have a mix of win now players and young players and mix and match them. Dragic is only getting 15mpg. I was expecting around 25 so this is good not bad. He's a vet, and earns the right to play. He won't be on the team next year, but you can develop as well by watching from the bench.

There is no real science behind it. It's an art form. And the Raptors are one of the best organizations at developing their young talent. So you have to give them the benefit of the doubt here. There might be a reason why Flynn isn't playing. And it could be to teach him a lesson. To humble him. To force him to earn his minutes by showing the coaching staff things outside of games.

Besides Dragic was one of the best Heat players last year. He's not typically terrible, but is having a bad start. He'll adjust. It might take a few weeks but he'll end up being an impactful player IMO. Or he won't and will be shipped out / bought out. But it's really, really early.

Spurs drafted a Canadian kid in the lottery and has only played a total of 3 minutes in 3 games. And the Spurs are also one of the best organizations at developing young players.

Giving a 35 year old Relic the benefit of the doubt while finding a excuse why Flynn is not playing then we just have to agree to disagree….amongst other things lately mr. Mars

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
    One more rant:

Wtf is the point of playing Dragic right now…the 14 minutes he played does NOT make any kind of difference over giving that to Flynn and let him develop

It does not make sense at all.

this is the most ridiculous scenario by some of us with basketball sense who feared after that trade. But others also were so hopeful that he can contribute and make an impact..

Another Zo Brown, McCaw situation where Nurse would prefer to have another ball handler

worse now because the main guy is a tweener

Trade Dragic or give him DNP
    The team has operated this way for a while. We always have a mix of win now players and young players and mix and match them. Dragic is only getting 15mpg. I was expecting around 25 so this is good not bad. He's a vet, and earns the right to play. He won't be on the team next year, but you can develop as well by watching from the bench.

There is no real science behind it. It's an art form. And the Raptors are one of the best organizations at developing their young talent. So you have to give them the benefit of the doubt here. There might be a reason why Flynn isn't playing. And it could be to teach him a lesson. To humble him. To force him to earn his minutes by showing the coaching staff things outside of games.

Besides Dragic was one of the best Heat players last year. He's not typically terrible, but is having a bad start. He'll adjust. It might take a few weeks but he'll end up being an impactful player IMO. Or he won't and will be shipped out / bought out. But it's really, really early.

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    One asinine post I read, we might be able to get a FRP for Dragic….better off keeping that opinion to yourself

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    One more rant:

Wtf is the point of playing Dragic right now…the 14 minutes he played does NOT make any kind of difference over giving that to Flynn and let him develop

It does not make sense at all.

this is the most ridiculous scenario by some of us with basketball sense who feared after that trade. But others also were so hopeful that he can contribute and make an impact..

Another Zo Brown, McCaw situation where Nurse would prefer to have another ball handler

worse now because the main guy is a tweener

Trade Dragic or give him DNP

Leave a comment:

Working...
X