Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game FOUR (Here's looking at you Scottie) Bulls at Raptors Monday October 25th 7:30pm on TSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The other thing is this offense.

For years the complaint on RR was that there was way too much iso in the offense. Now you look at the shot distribution in yesterday's game for example and it's spread out about as evenly among the starters as you're going to see in an NBA game. So you now have lesser skilled players learning to score whether that is in the form of shooting, cutting, drives, posting up etc.

I'm not sure if this is a novel idea that is destined to fail or a genius move from Nick. Overall skill level will improve when Siakam gets back, but is that enough? You can see the Raps struggle when the opposing team get back quickly and force them to play half court ball.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
      The other thing is this offense.

For years the complaint on RR was that there was way too much iso in the offense. Now you look at the shot distribution in yesterday's game for example and it's spread out about as evenly among the starters as you're going to see in an NBA game. So you now have lesser skilled players learning to score whether that is in the form of shooting, cutting, drives, posting up etc.

I'm not sure if this is a novel idea that is destined to fail or a genius move from Nick. Overall skill level will improve when Siakam gets back, but is that enough? You can see the Raps struggle when the opposing team get back quickly and force them to play half court ball.
      They are far from the finished product. Goal right now first and foremost should be development and not winning. See what we have in guys and develop them into assets that we can use in the future.
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Fred had a Jekyll and Hyde game, yes he had 8 turnovers, but with out his play in the 4th we wouldn't have been 3 points away from tying it up. Fred can definitely play better, but he's not the reason we are losing games.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
          - Raps down by 3 with 1:17 left in the 2nd, Fred loses Lavine on a cut, goes up for a dunk, fouled by Boucher, Bulls up 5
          - Refs call a foul on floor when Boucher is in the act of shooting, Fred turns it over during that possession, Bulls score go up 8 pts
          - Boucher forces a covered three (8 seconds left on clock), Bulls score Raps down 10

Raps down 10 at the half

Start of the third quarter Bulls offence goes off, good D, just better O (raps missing some easy shots on O). OG has one turnover that leads to a 3 point play, Bulls up 20... Time out called with 9:01 left in the third.

So 4 minutes and 16secs the Raps offence went dry and two turnovers that led to points, the D was pretty damn good, Chicago just went off. The Raptors played catch up the rest of the way and had a chance to tie it up at the end.
          Yeah, there are points in the game when you nothing you do will stop good/great scorers who are feeling it. And if the opposition is also clamping down on defense, your offense stalls... so you just have to trade tough, contested baskets and weather the storm. We don't have those 'bucket getter' type of guys for those moments. Pascal is the best we've got and he's a beta.

Comment

Fred had a Jekyll and Hyde game, yes he had 8 turnovers, but with out his play in the 4th we wouldn't have been 3 points away from tying it up. Fred can definitely play better, but he's not the reason we are losing games.
            Not to be negative, because I loved the fight; but, these faux comebacks, down from double-digit deficits, are what all losing teams do. I got used to these type of moral victories in the pre-WeTheNorth Era. I would buckle in for 2 seasons of this, depending upon how we look when Siakam comes back.

Comment

I absolutely hate the amount of dribble handoffs they are running. I think a lot of the actions above the three point line are a waste of time and energy, and don't necessarily lead to anything.

I do like the shot distribution, but I would like to see Scottie asserting himself a bit more, and him finding cutters from the high post. Both Gary and OG would benefit from not having to create off the dribble.

Comment

Go back and watch the first 7 minutes of the game. Precious was extremely active, played great D, and was maybe the 2nd best performer during those minutes. He easily could have had an extra 4 points to start the game if Freddie could throw a lob. He's getting open, he's getting to the right spots, he's setting good picks, he's rebounding well, he's defending all positions. He is a little erratic when he's going coast to coast but he's going to get better with more reps. I don't see any reason to start Birch, but they could split the minutes more evenly, and give Birch more run with better players.

These rotations are going to look a bit different when Pascal comes back. I assume there will always to two or three starters on the floor at all times. With the way the bench is playing they can't afford to play any less than that.
                Birch looks slow as molasses out there compared to the rest of the team. Lavine and Lonzo were were taking him to school yesterday. I mean, it's ok to be slow if you're a traditional 7-3 wingspan centre, but he's 6-8 like everyone else on the team. I'm not sure if there would be much of a net difference between him and Achiuwa either. Maybe slightly better at kicking out from the paint and as a pick and roll target, but we don't run pick and rolls much anymore, so...

Achiuwa hasn't been great either, lots of turnovers, but at least his game is evolving, he's faster, can handle, and is an energetic defender that can switch onto guards. With more time playing with the starters he'll grow, especially if he starts taking that trailing above-the-break 3 when he's open. Birch is already who he is.

Neither Flynn nor Birch are the greatest of fits on our posionless run-and-gun game. I'd say have them develop a chemistry together off the bench as your traditional 1-5 pick and roll duo so we can have something else to try when the transition offence gets too dry.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Not to be negative, because I loved the fight; but, these faux comebacks, down from double-digit deficits, are what all losing teams do. I got used to these type of moral victories in the pre-WeTheNorth Era. I would buckle in for 2 seasons of this, depending upon how we look when Siakam comes back.
                  Siakam can't get back soon enough. There's going to be more injuries throughout the year, do we have the guys that can't step up and fill those gaps. Siakam is a big gap to fill though.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

They are far from the finished product. Goal right now first and foremost should be development and not winning. See what we have in guys and develop them into assets that we can use in the future.
                    Agreed, they are far from a finished product and their offense is exciting when it works. It's just not a traditional offense and you gotta wonder what we do in the playoffs when things slow down and it becomes a half court game.

Comment

Agreed, they are far from a finished product and their offense is exciting when it works. It's just not a traditional offense and you gotta wonder what we do in the playoffs when things slow down and it becomes a half court game.
                      I wouldn't worry about playoffs this year.
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

They played with more purpose last night and were way more organized. They were running some plays to get Trent and OG shots and much more committed to the 1-5 screen and roll and getting it to Birch and Achiuwa rather than the usual perfunctory screens Fred ignores.

I have no problem with the philosophy but think they need to have some actual tactics they can rely on other than just pass someone the ball and hope he makes a play, which is what happens far too often and then they get in droughts.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Birch looks slow as molasses out there compared to the rest of the team. Lavine and Lonzo were were taking him to school yesterday.
                          Lavine was hunting him every time they were on the court together. Don't get me wrong I like Birch, I just think the divide is not that big between the two and I'd rather give the sophomore minutes with starting calibre players. Precious would be lost with the bench guys, Birch has found ways to be productive in the role.

I actually loved Precious's D against Luka the other night, and he's been holding his own against guards.

As for turnovers, he's had 4 all season. His shooting percentages are not ideal, but he's finding his way. Hopefully him and Fred can get on the same page.

Comment

I absolutely hate the amount of dribble handoffs they are running. I think a lot of the actions above the three point line are a waste of time and energy, and don't necessarily lead to anything.

I do like the shot distribution, but I would like to see Scottie asserting himself a bit more, and him finding cutters from the high post. Both Gary and OG would benefit from not having to create off the dribble.
                            I actually like those dribble hand-offs. It forces movement and creates confusion for the defenders which allows for more opportunities for cuts and breakdowns in the defense.

I'd like to see Scottie create more as well and it's not a matter of if it's going to happen, its a matter of when. He's a perfect fit for the system they are running and that can't be by coincidence.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

I wouldn't worry about playoffs this year.
                              I care more about development, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they made the playoffs after Siakam comes back. There are so many mediocre teams in the NBA this year and other issues affecting wins (e.g. Simmons, Kyrie, Harden not getting foul calls, etc...) that's kind of balancing things out. Just get hot for month and you're probably in. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if we finish bottom 4 in our division.

Comment

• All of these guys are playing new roles really, it's going to take time for them to figure it out. OG is being asked to create his own offence more, that could expand his game and help the team in the long term, but that will take time. Barnes and Precious are obviously playing new roles, and much more is expected from GT, particularly with Pascal out. Fred is taking over the starting PG position from Kyle. That's a big step. What worries me a little about Fred is all this talk, from him, about this being his team now, and people needing to get used to that etc. I've seen him force his game quite a bit. I'm more comfortable with him being a distributor than forcing his offence... but I don't love this egotistical stuff about who is the man and whose team it is. WTF - It's a team. Fit what the team needs. Play for the name on the front of the jersey not the name on the back... particularly if you're the PG. On talent alone, Fred might be 4th.

So far I'm excited about all of our starting lineup, except Fred. GT has shown some good stuff, some good shot creation, some good D, would love for him to be more automatic on open 3's. Maybe he's over thinking those shots rather than just letting them fly, but he has to bear down and knock a high percentage of those shots down. I'm excited about OG's continued development and I'm prepared to be patient with growing pains. If we're going to be successful in the playoffs again in the future, if not this year then next year, we're going to need more than one guy who can create his own shot when it counts. Barnes looks incredibly good. Precious looks very good to me too. He is a very good rebounder, naturally very good. I'm a little confused by some of the negative comments about him actually. He seems to me like he has a good pair of hands on him. Some of the passes to him haven't been very good. But on an undersize team someone that can suck in the boards like him is important. I don't like him forcing his drives, he's got to be better knowing when to do that and when not to do that, but he looks very good to me. His rate of rebounding is tremendous.

Lastly, I agree of course that this team is likely to be better when Pascal is back, but injuries through a season are normal, and we do not look like we are a deep enough team as currently constructed. We can expect to miss a core player like OG or Siakam, throughout the season... are we built to withstand that for a while without totally derailing the season? At the end of the day, all I want to see this year is development. If we don't make the playoffs and all we do is add another lottery pick, I can live with that. As long as our players are developing and there is a cohesive plan to get better over the medium to long term. Anything more than that would be great. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy watching the young players develop, and if we can see some development from vets like Pascal and Fred, that would be great too.

Comment

Working...
                                X