2014-2015 Raptors Power Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joey wrote: View Post
    Wall/Beal is way better than Lowry/Derozan? Hmmm, that's an interesting comparison.
    MACK11 wrote: View Post
    This upcoming season Wall/Beal aren't better than Lowry/DeRozan. The Wiz are gonna start Paul Pierce and he cannot guard 3's anymore and they have otto porter behind him who's an unproven player. I like the Wiz starting 5 but there bench isn't good enough.

i think if beal can up his game they are the better back court. i agree that their bench isn't as good as ours and that beal having a big break out is unlikely. i am saying if he makes a jump then i would take wall/beal over lowry/derozan.

i also think our front court is better than theirs whether you play amir or peterson at the 4.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
      Dallas has a nice starting 5, but they're old. Jose, Monte, Parons, Dirk and Chandler are going to win some games though.
      Jose is in NY, reunited with Bargs. Those two plus Amare probably form the worst defensive trifecta in the league.

Jameer Nelson likely starts in Dallas, though he's not a giant upgrade over Jose anyways.

Comment

can we just pause for a moment and note that espn has us ranked as the 10th (and possibly 9th) best team in the league going into the season? Yes, it's just an espn ranking but how many years have we looked at a list like this, seen the Raps down in the twenties and thought "Espn?! #clown"?..only to see it play out. I'll smell this rose.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
          Jose is in NY, reunited with Bargs. Those two plus Amare probably form the worst defensive trifecta in the league.

Jameer Nelson likely starts in Dallas, though he's not a giant upgrade over Jose anyways.
          OH YA! Shit ... never mind, they're working with Felton or Devin Harris ...

Comment

I think you have to put Atlanta in the mix for top 4 seed. I like the Wiz, but as I've said it before, knocking off Chi in the playoffs have people thinking they are better than they are.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              I think you have to put Atlanta in the mix for top 4 seed. I like the Wiz, but as I've said it before, knocking off Chi in the playoffs have people thinking they are better than they are.
              Really? Atlanta is in a pretty packed (but admitterdly mediocre) Division. They'll have to hope for Charlotte or Washington to under-perform. Charlotte is going to be much improved, and Washington will likely win the division.

I just see any scenario where Atlanta is better than Charlotte or Washington; especially when both finished above Atlanta last year. Yes, they have Horford back, but I'm not sure that's enough.

And I'm not at all convinced that Chicago is for real. If DRose isn't anywhere near 100%, they're in a for a long season. Besides Noah, DJ Augustin was their MVP last year!

Comment

2014-2015 Raptors Power Rankings

There's tons of different power rankings out there that are released weekly. I find them to be a good representation of how your team is viewed league wide and by analysts.

ESPN Stein Line is usually pretty good, and the Hollinger rankings are interesting. Schuhmann at NBA.com is pretty fair and reasonable, and then there's the dirt bags at SI...

Anyway. I thought it would be interested to track the teams power rankings throughout the year and see how the progress/regress and see if all the hysteria on the site is considered justified by those that follow the league.

So, with that if you're posting a power ranking, please mention where u got it from and where the raptors rank on it.
                Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                Because its 2015

Comment

Ranked 10 by Schuhmann at NBA.com

Last week: 10
                  Toronto (2-1)
                  Pace: 96.6 (14), OffRtg: 108.6 (5), DefRtg: 106.4 (23), NetRtg: +2.2 (12)
                  Sunday's loss in Miami was a reminder of how important Amir Johnson, who missed the game with a sprained ankle, is to the Raptors, especially on defense, where Jonas Valanciunas still has a ways to go. DeMar DeRozan retains an uncanny ability to get to the line (32 times in three games) while taking most of his shots from outside the paint.
                  This week: vs. OKC, @ BOS, vs. WAS, vs. PHI
                  Because its 2015

Comment

ESPNSteinLine at obviously ESPN.

Ranked 10

Raptors 2-1
                    It's a touch too early for full-on frustration, but the Raps squandered an immediate opportunity in the race to see who can establish themselves as the East's clear-cut No. 3 by missing 15 free throws and playing more sub-standard D in what turned out to be their 16th straight loss to Miami.
                    Because its 2015

Comment

SI Eastern conference ranking

4. Toronto Raptors – In terms of net rating (pace-adjusted point differential), only two teams in the East last season outperformed Toronto: Miami and Indiana. Neither will be as formidable as they were last season, setting up the Raptors to fill the void as one of the better teams in the conference. It wouldn't come as much of a surprise for Toronto to finish third to Cleveland and Chicago, particularly with DeMar DeRozan, Jonas Valanciunas and Terrence Ross all still developing. The Raptors aren't threatening to unseat the best teams in the conference yet, but rare are the two-way teams with legitimate upward mobility.
                      Because its 2015

Comment

Hollinger's Power Rankings

This probably should be merged into the "Best Team in the NBA Thread" but I wanted people to notice it first...

Hollinger's power rankings just got posted for the first time this season (it is a fully automated ranking system).

Raps place third behind GS (1) and Houston (2). One thing that sticks out is that the 3 teams tied for best record (Houston, Memphis (7), and Raps) are the only teams in the top 10 that have a sub .500 Strength of Schedule. The ranking takes this into account, but I thought it worthy of notice in any event.

The thing that I like about Hollinger's ranking is that it is fully automated. There's no location bias. The longer the Raptors stay near the top of those rankings the more people will notice them.

In terms of subjective power rankings (like Marc Stein's on ESPN, and John Schulman on NBA.com) the Raptors will definitely be in the top ten, and I'll be surprised if they don't crack the top 5 in at least a few power rankings.

I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm hoping that the Raptors look at anything other than a 1-2 seed finish in the East as a disappointment. Having home court in the first TWO rounds would be spectacular.

I think most of us agree that BOTH Cleveland and Chicago are vulnerable early in the season, the longer the Raptors stay on top, the more they'll cement themselves in that elite category (at least in the East) of conference final contender.

Let's go raptors!!!
                        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Amazing! I say let the rankings have it's own thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Top three looks like a nice place. Raptors may as well call it home.

Comment

November 13 (chicago), 19 (memphis), and 22 (cleveland) will be good measuring sticks.

The first extended test in the schedule doesn't appear to be until December 22nd-January 4th - 6 games all on road with stops in Chicago, LA Clippers, Denver, Portland, Golden State, and Phoenix.

We'll know what we're dealing with early in the new year!

Comment

63 more wins boys

Comment

Working...
                                X