2014-2015 Raptors Power Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octothorp wrote: View Post
    The nba.com power-rankings this week singled out the Raptors for having the easiest schedule in the league thus far. Neither Hollinger nor Sagarin see it as the easiest schedule, though both see it as an easy-ish schedule.

But here's the problem with all of this 'schedule is going to change' stuff: the Raptors are the best team in the weakest division in the weakest conference. If the East and the Atlantic remains this awful all season long, you'd fully expect the Raptors to have the easiest schedule in the league at the end of the season.

This site has a basic strength of played and remaining games in the league (very simple calculation based current winning percentage of teams they've played). And as you'd expect, the Raptors have the easiest overall schedule, as well as the easiest remaining schedule.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nba/easternsosag.html
    http://www.playoffstatus.com/nba/westernsosag.html

There's going to be tough stretches of the season, and easy stretches of the season. There's that Christmas road-trip, as well as a 9-of-11 stretch on the road just after the allstar break. But the stretch between those two major roadtrips is another super-soft schedule. Then after that 9-of-11 on the road stretch, a middling schedule for a while before a road-heavy end to the season.

So, I guess my point to just get used to the 'easy schedule' stuff, because it's not going to change. Even after we go on our roadtrips and play some of the western powerhouses in their own barns, the guys who just look at the numbers are always going to be saying, 'yeah, but their overall strength of schedule...'.
    Fuck yeah easy schedule. I'm fine with cruising to the #1 seed, winning some easy playoff games, winning an easy conference finals, and cake walking through an easy NBA Finals.

Then they can write all offseason about how easy it was for the Raptors to win it all.

Comment

• I don't care what metrics these writers are using to downplay the Raptors. Winning in the NBA isn't easy, if it was everyone would be 82-0. On the other hand losing games is quite easy just ask the 76ers, that's they're gameplan.
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• If the Raptors play 6-5 on each of the two major road trips and .750 for the remaining games, 48 (82-22-12).

That would mean , if TO wins only 50% of the games of the remaining 48 games and based on my supposition of 12-10 on major road trips they will match last year win figures.'

Comment

• http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

#2 behind the Mavs in the Hllonger Power Rankings
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• There will be an asterisk beside everything we do because the people making these comments don't actually watch this team. The hollinger stats have our SOS at 18th in the league. The bulls and the rockets have had easier schedules yet nobody talks about that. We lost to the Bulls on a nationally televised game. That is the only measuring stick people have for this team because they sure as hell aren't tuning in otherwise.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
              The nba.com power-rankings this week singled out the Raptors for having the easiest schedule in the league thus far. Neither Hollinger nor Sagarin see it as the easiest schedule, though both see it as an easy-ish schedule.

But here's the problem with all of this 'schedule is going to change' stuff: the Raptors are the best team in the weakest division in the weakest conference. If the East and the Atlantic remains this awful all season long, you'd fully expect the Raptors to have the easiest schedule in the league at the end of the season.

This site has a basic strength of played and remaining games in the league (very simple calculation based current winning percentage of teams they've played). And as you'd expect, the Raptors have the easiest overall schedule, as well as the easiest remaining schedule.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nba/easternsosag.html
              http://www.playoffstatus.com/nba/westernsosag.html

There's going to be tough stretches of the season, and easy stretches of the season. There's that Christmas road-trip, as well as a 9-of-11 stretch on the road just after the allstar break. But the stretch between those two major roadtrips is another super-soft schedule. Then after that 9-of-11 on the road stretch, a middling schedule for a while before a road-heavy end to the season.

So, I guess my point to just get used to the 'easy schedule' stuff, because it's not going to change. Even after we go on our roadtrips and play some of the western powerhouses in their own barns, the guys who just look at the numbers are always going to be saying, 'yeah, but their overall strength of schedule...'.
              I saw this as well and found it really surprising. It's probably a more accurate model than at least Hollinger's, as Hollinger's is just straight opposition win%, where this adjusts for home/road (a really big split right now) as well as back to backs. I think I trust Sagarin the most for schedule strength, though, so if he doesn't have us as the weakest I'll take his word for it.

That said, you can't just ignore the impact the schedule has had on the Raptors record. I think a lot of these are ranking them too high. the NBA.com site is probably about right with 5th, though I think I would have the Spurs ahead of us instead of the Blazers.
              That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                One positive is that the Raptors have done what good teams do - win games against weaker/wounded opposition that they should win. That's been a problem for the Raptors in the past, in that they've tended to play up/down to their opponent. That in itself is refreshing to see, even if there have been asterisks or question marks associated with some of the games; a win's a win.
                That's a good point about this seasons Raptors doing what good teams do. To their credit they have won against teams that they should be winning against.

I don't know about whether they were playing down to weaker competition in the past or if the past Raptors rosters just weren't as good as this one, but I'm happy to see that that we are at a point now where you can say we are clearly better than a bottom tier team and right near the top of the second tier teams. There is clarity in what needs to improve to be a contender wheras in the past it was a question of where to start addressing the areas which need to improve just to get out of that bottom tier.

Comment

• I love how the power rankings on ESPN picture shows S.Curry and M.Gasol for their respective teams and our team is represented by Lou Williams. I have been over the moon with how Lou has performed here but is he really the face of the raptors like those other guys are the faces for their team. It just shows how little they pay attention. He has a huge game while they are all on the end of Lebrons weiner is the only possible explanation.

Comment

• As Other Scott mentioned, a big part of the schedule equation is that we've played at home 5 more times than we have on the road. I think the only other team with that kind of split is Portland.

That said, beating Cleveland on the road is a really good sign. And if we can take a couple of Western teams this week I think we'll probably earn that number one slot.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      In years past, we avoided using the 2004 Detroit Pistons model when discussing how to build a successful team. That is, a team without any "elite" individual players, but a roster who collectively performed at an elite level. We wrote that team off as an anomaly that couldn't be replicated.

But with each win, the comparison becomes more valid.
                      I agree with the general premise, and I did just start a thread yesterday saying that I like our odds to make the conference finals (and our odds once we get their to get us into the finals). BUT that doesn't change the fact that if we do make to the Finals I still think we'll be like the Sixers/Nets finals where it's obvious that we are out classed.

It would be amazing if the Raps could change my mind, not necessarily win it all or even get to the finals, just that they belong in the top tier of NBA teams not just top tier Eastern Conference teams.

I will also say one thing about the Detroit comparison, they had Ben Wallace, who was a LEGIT defensive super star. I don't see a player on this roster that we could legit compare to Ben.

BUT even if you can't drawn direct comparison's to Detroit, it may adds more evidence that tanking isn't the only way. FOR the record, I still adhere to this logic.

You need elite talent to win the NBA Finals
                      The easiest/most likely way to get elite talent is with a high draft pick
                      The easiest/most likely way to get a high draft pick is to have a terrible record.

That said, I'm glad the Lowry to NY trade got kibosh-ed, and would rather see how far this current team can get instead of trying to make a trade to upgrade talent. (Chemistry matters, and I think our best opportunity is this season with this squad).

Pill wrote: View Post
                      There will be an asterisk beside everything we do because the people making these comments don't actually watch this team. The hollinger stats have our SOS at 18th in the league. The bulls and the rockets have had easier schedules yet nobody talks about that. We lost to the Bulls on a nationally televised game. That is the only measuring stick people have for this team because they sure as hell aren't tuning in otherwise.
                      BUT, Hollinger's ranking does take SoS into account and we've been a top 5 team all year. ANy

Other Scott wrote: View Post
                      That said, you can't just ignore the impact the schedule has had on the Raptors record. I think a lot of these are ranking them too high. the NBA.com site is probably about right with 5th, though I think I would have the Spurs ahead of us instead of the Blazers.
                      At this point it's pretty obvious to everyone that the Raps are playing the best basketball in the East. Whether that will be the case at the end of the season is up for speculation. I still think the question of how good are the Raps in NBA in general is still up in the air. All that said, it took the Pacers awhile to convince media/NBA community that they were for real, not just in East but in the league as a whole (and almost immediately after they did... they imploded). I'm not surprised that it's taking people longer to evaluate this team/remain skeptical.

Portland last year was a team that started super hot, and they trailed off to pretty mediocre (I think Houston had homecourt?)

Although it'll take people longer to catch on, IF the Raps are truly an elite NBA team, they will get recognition for it. Being an elite team isn't something you achieve one time. It's something you do everyday, every game, every possession.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• Hollinger Ranking November 24th, 2014
                        Last Ranking (Nov. 20th): 3rd
                        Today's Ranking: 2nd

Yesterday's Conference Ranking: 1st
                        Today's Conference Ranking: 1st

Top 5
                        Mavs
                        Raptors
                        Warriors
                        Blazers
                        Spurs

The gap between the Mavs and Raps? .381
                        The gap between the Raps and Warriors? 1.345
                        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• Also... I just realized that I haven't once this season, clicked on page 2 of Hollinger's power rankings to see teams 16-30. And that just feels tasty.

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                            Hollinger Ranking November 24th, 2014
                            Last Ranking (Nov. 20th): 3rd
                            Today's Ranking: 2nd

Yesterday's Conference Ranking: 1st
                            Today's Conference Ranking: 1st

Top 5
                            Mavs
                            Raptors

Warriors
                            Blazers
                            Spurs

The gap between the Mavs and Raps? .381
                            The gap between the Raps and Warriors? 1.345
                            Raps win, Mavs lose to Indy....may we see a flip tomorrow?

Comment

• Raps the team of the week on NBATv

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...day-feast.nba/

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                                As Other Scott mentioned, a big part of the schedule equation is that we've played at home 5 more times than we have on the road. I think the only other team with that kind of split is Portland.

That said, beating Cleveland on the road is a really good sign. And if we can take a couple of Western teams this week I think we'll probably earn that number one slot.
                                I couldn't care less.

Toronto has played more at home yaddda yadda.

they have gone 3-1 on the road. So yeah, whatever. There is ALWAYS gonna be people shit talking a team in first place, comes with the territory.

Comment

Working...
                                X