Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post Game Thread: Toronto vs Boston-Nov 5th (TOR 110 - BOS 107)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    Ross has not been that bad - his shot has not been falling, and he's had slip ups on D, but for the most part he's played well within the system. I'd rather a guy like him who fades into the background a bit than have him force his offence and be real noticeable from his misses.

That said, JJ has been by far our best wing defender. By far.
    Ross is having no impact on the game.

If everyone was fading into the background like that we'd be getting blown out by 30 every night.

Comment

As I watched the game, 2 coaching things really stood out to me. First, we didn't run enough sets with Demar in the post. Celtics played a lot of Rondo-Smart-Bradley, all are easily postable.

Second, we played to their pace. The Raps kept pushing the tempo, which is not our style. We have consistently been one of the slowest paced teams since Casey took over (usually around 25th or lower). So why were we pushing the ball? That is rondo's game and the Celtics gameplan. We should be enforcing our own style on them. Modelling after your opponent is something Casey has long struggled with (small ball with more small ball) but the pace thing is just poor decision and forgetting who we are.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
        As I watched the game, 2 coaching things really stood out to me. First, we didn't run enough sets with Demar in the post. Celtics played a lot of Rondo-Smart-Bradley, all are easily postable.

Second, we played to their pace. The Raps kept pushing the tempo, which is not our style. We have consistently been one of the slowest paced teams since Casey took over (usually around 25th or lower). So why were we pushing the ball? That is rondo's game and the Celtics gameplan. We should be enforcing our own style on them. Modelling after your opponent is something Casey has long struggled with (small ball with more small ball) but the pace thing is just poor decision and forgetting who we are.
        Casey said in preseason that his trying to speed the game up. Try to get more easy buckets. We've been pushing the pace all season long. I'm pretty sure were up there in fast break points.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

DeRozan shooting under 40% on the season.

I don't have any problem with him taking 25 shots a game, but do they have to be against 3 defenders with 16 seconds left on the clock? Shot selection has been abysmal through 5 games so far. We're getting into Rudy Gay territory.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
            The first 'good' game, by our standards is going to be so much fun to watch. Hopefully its in the middle of an 8 game winning streak.
            You very rarely get a perfect game. The Atlanta game was actually a really good game except for that 5 minute stretch in the 4th.

This game, overall, was pretty good considering it was the 4th game in 5 nights, on the road, missing the entire starting frontcourt. Yeah, Boston is a bottom 10 team in the league, but playing anyone that doesn't rhyme with "Milasnelphia" is going to be tough under those circumstances. It was a nice win.
            That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Does anyone know where you can get individual shot charts from a game. It feels like Demar missed a bunch around the rim that would normally go in. Not an excuse but it didn't seem like the 16 misses were all terrible shots

Comment

Ross has not been that bad - his shot has not been falling, and he's had slip ups on D, but for the most part he's played well within the system. I'd rather a guy like him who fades into the background a bit than have him force his offence and be real noticeable from his misses.

I disagree about JJ. He allows a lot of penetration because he gets lifted at the 3 point line. Even if he can recover a bit it has still forced our posts to help and has led to a lot of offensive rebounds. Ross has had more success keeping his man in front of him.

Comment

hilarious that on nba.com they feature rondos triple double in a LOSS while lowry gets no mention at all.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                    Does anyone know where you can get individual shot charts from a game. It feels like Demar missed a bunch around the rim that would normally go in. Not an excuse but it didn't seem like the 16 misses were all terrible shots
                    stats.nba.com

heres derozans for the game

http://on.nba.com/1Gt41SJ

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                      hilarious that on nba.com they feature rondos triple double in a LOSS while lowry gets no mention at all.
                      Rondo is a bigger name, plus he has one of dose were rings

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                        stats.nba.com

heres derozans for the game

http://on.nba.com/1Gt41SJ
                        Looking at that... damn. Normally he's around 70% at the rim (5/7) and around 40-45% in that 3-10 feet area.

On a normal shooting day he would've been about 14-25 today. Looks like he only actually took maybe 3 bad shots.

Comment

Ya, I disagree. No way, in my opinion, do we win 48 games last year, if Demar is constantly deferring and not looking to be aggressive. Some nights, yes, we can get by without him being aggressive, but in the long run? No chance.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                            I disagree about JJ. He allows a lot of penetration because he gets lifted at the 3 point line. Even if he can recover a bit it has still forced our posts to help and has led to a lot of offensive rebounds. Ross has had more success keeping his man in front of him.
                            The other night they mentioned that JJ was the league-leader in blocking 3pt shots last season. There's no doubt that he sometimes get caught cheating, but his overall play has been better than I expected.

* disclaimer * I hated JJ during his first stint and was disappointed by the signing, so anything better than useless with a net-positive contribution would be far exceeding my expectations.
                            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Nov 6, 2014, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                              Ya, I disagree. No way, in my opinion, do we win 48 games last year, if Demar is constantly deferring and not looking to be aggressive. Some nights, yes, we can get by without him being aggressive, but in the long run? No chance.
                              I've always liked DeRozan being aggressive (ie: driving to the rim, posting up smaller defenders, using dribble-drive to draw double-teams and get open looks for teammates, etc...), but I don't like when he forces his own game to the point of taking bad shots (ie: long 2's early in the shot clock, contested 1-on-3 drives, etc...).

I actually think that if he forced things less and deferred to his teammates more (still aggressive, but more facilitation), it would ultimately make his scoring more efficient, since defenses wouldn't be able to collapse on him as blatantly as they do now. When he forces things, he's playing right into the defense's hands.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                I've always liked DeRozan being aggressive (ie: driving to the rim, posting up smaller defenders, using dribble-drive to draw double-teams and get open looks for teammates, etc...), but I don't like when he forces his own game to the point of taking bad shots (ie: long 2's early in the shot clock, contested 1-on-3 drives, etc...).

I actually think that if he forced things less and deferred to his teammates more (still aggressive, but more facilitation), it would ultimately make his scoring more efficient, since defenses wouldn't be able to collapse on him as blatantly as they do now. When he forces things, he's playing right into the defense's hands.
                                Ya, we're really talking about his decision-making. Unfortunately, it's not something that can be improved by conventional summer training/gym sessions. It basically comes down to meticulously studying game film.

I can understand DeRozan being eager to unleash his new-found offensive repertoire, but the next step of his evolution will need him to understand where and when to attack.

Comment

Working...
                                X