Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post Game Thread: Toronto vs Boston-Nov 5th (TOR 110 - BOS 107)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chico wrote: View Post
    One game, this last one, is the difference between DeMar's FG% and Lowry's. Prior to this game, they had identical FG%, yet I see nobody talking about Lowry's "abysmal" shot selection and equating him to Rudy.

I think you're being unfair about this "5 games of abysmal shot selection". He's been missing a lot of shots you'd expect him to make, just like the rest of the team. Two or three questionable ones a game does not equate to 5 games of abysmal, imo.
    The difference is in how they both do it. Lowry has significantly better shot selection then Derozan and flow in the teams offense better. That's why.

A very high percentage of Derozan's shots are unnecessarily difficult or outside the teams flow this year.
    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
      The difference is in how they both do it. Lowry has significantly better shot selection then Derozan and flow in the teams offense better. That's why.

A very high percentage of Derozan's shots are unnecessarily difficult or outside the teams flow this year.
      Very high percentage? That's simply not true, imo, but I'm open to any evidence you may have. Some are saying it, but that doesn't mean it's true. For example, very early in the OKC game thread, the first time DeMar had a possession, he drove into the paint, turned his defender into an unbalanced pretzel, rose to take a very open 8-10 ft shot, which he should have damn well taken, but instead tried to feed it to JV unwisely, resulting in a TO. The next post in the game thread was something akin to "DD being selfish again!!". Like what the hell game was that guy watching? His decision was a mistake alright, but the mistake was trying to feed a teammate that despite being right under the basket, was covered.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
        hilarious that on nba.com they feature rondos triple double in a LOSS while lowry gets no mention at all.
        The Ten on espn waits all the way til #10 but they get it right
        http://espn.go.com/nba/theten

Comment

Very high percentage? That's simply not true, imo, but I'm open to any evidence you may have. Some are saying it, but that doesn't mean it's true. For example, very early in the OKC game thread, the first time DeMar had a possession, he drove into the paint, turned his defender into an unbalanced pretzel, rose to take a very open 8-10 ft shot, which he should have damn well taken, but instead tried to feed it to JV unwisely, resulting in a TO. The next post in the game thread was something akin to "DD being selfish again!!". Like what the hell game was that guy watching? His decision was a mistake alright, but the mistake was trying to feed a teammate that despite being right under the basket, was covered.
          We have the technology to go back and look at how many shots DD took within the team system and how many he took out of ISO situations. I cab count them for you tonight after work if you would like from all of his games so far this year.

Peronally any time DD ISO's is bad for the team. It's so predictable, infuriating to watch, and it makes his teammates worse.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
            We have the technology to go back and look at how many shots DD took within the team system and how many he took out of ISO situations. I cab count them for you tonight after work if you would like from all of his games so far this year.

Peronally any time DD ISO's is bad for the team. It's so predictable, infuriating to watch, and it makes his teammates worse.
            Ha, I'm not sure I trust your judgement on what's within "team system" and what's not.

As far as ISO's go, even the best ball movement teams, as in the Spurs, have plenty of 1-on-1 "iso's" in a game. Others aside, there's a reason why the Spurs' all-star POINT GUARD consistently takes the most shots on the team.

I don't know how anyone can watch these last 2 games and still be talking mostly about DD being an iso team killer. He's been doing as much or more than our PGs to break down the D and feed open shooters.

Comment

Ha, I'm not sure I trust your judgement on what's within "team system" and what's not.

As far as ISO's go, even the best ball movement teams, as in the Spurs, have plenty of 1-on-1 "iso's" in a game. Others aside, there's a reason why the Spurs' all-star POINT GUARD consistently takes the most shots on the team.

I don't know how anyone can watch these last 2 games and still be talking mostly about DD being an iso team killer. He's been doing as much or more than our PGs to break down the D and feed open shooters.
              He was able to get Chuck Hayes a basket. Chuck Hayes! Argument over.

Comment

I think people don't understand DD repertoire. You have probably notice that DeMar has gotten pretty good at drawing fouls off that pump fake. Well he has to take jumpers to set it up. Why do you guys think JV pump fake isn't as effective as before? Cause he doesn't take the shot. DD will get get back to his career average FG%. No need to panic DOD(Distric of DeRozan)
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  I think people don't understand DD repertoire. You have probably notice that DeMar has gotten pretty good at drawing fouls off that pump fake. Well he has to take jumpers to set it up. Why do you guys think JV pump fake isn't as effective as before? Cause he doesn't take the shot. DD will get get back to his career average FG%. No need to panic DOD(Distric of DeRozan)
                  eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

" T-DOD "
                  Toronto District of Derozan.

No problem guys

Comment

The District of Derozan has officially invaded the Republic! lol

Comment

utter bullshit. spurs were 2nd in the league to LEAST use iso plays. and the only time they really pull out iso plays is when its actually in their favour. ie tony parker vs chalmers.

DOD making up shit!

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                        The District of Derozan has officially invaded the Republic! lol
                        It's always been here. We've just been cordoned off and left to be a slum, though.
                        That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                          utter bullshit. spurs were 2nd in the league to LEAST use iso plays. and the only time they really pull out iso plays is when its actually in their favour. ie tony parker vs chalmers.

DOD making up shit!
                          It would be helpful to retaining reasonable conversation if you would address my comments as MINE, rather than bullshitting your way to "DOD" outrage.

Whatever "least" represents, in a vacuum, it's not very relevant to the conversation. I never put any number or ranking on my comment that even the best passing team in the league make use of iso's. Also, the Spurs only play Chalmers 2x per season, and my point about Parker is that, even as a POINT GUARD (you know, play maker responsibilities), he takes the most shots for the Spurs virtually EVERY game. Whether they come from whatever is officially designated as "ISO" in these stats or not, it tells you that Pop gives the green light to certain players to go for it when they see daylight, and that every possession isn't big time ball movement. Point being, I think some are way overplaying the DeMar ISO/Hero Ball rhetoric. Has he still got some work to do? Yup. So does every other 25 year old in the league.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                            Absolutely not the case. At least with me anyway. I just feel that his true value is in his ability to create points, and he is taking shots that we've seen him hit 100x before. Yes he could work on his decision making. Absolutely. That was the point I made a few game threads back, where this is ALL about him figuring out how to be the leader he needs to be. I believe that his 4+ assists from last year is exactly where he should be in terms of being a facilitator. Not to mention we have no idea how many of these plays are called by Casey for Demar to try and get him going.
                            He is taking shots we've seen him hit 100x, and seen him miss 200x. That's why he shouldn't be taking the shot.

I'm not advocating for less shots for DD but better shots. His drive and foul game is driven by his jumpers he takes off screens - gets the defence lunging at him. I've rarely seen him draw a foul with his ridiculous one on one play. He is so much better in motion and off screens. He's a much better shooter set (he's ridiculously inefficient on the pull-up jumper) and can do real damage against a defence that is moving when he catches the ball.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Regardless. Now that I have been thinking about it I would love to know the actual stats. You never know...they may prove the DOD is completely right about him.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                                Regardless. Now that I have been thinking about it I would love to know the actual stats. You never know...they may prove the DOD is completely right about him.
                                Which stats?
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X