No announcement yet.

Game #7: Philadelphia 76ers 88 - Toronto Raptors 120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished hearing our "friend" Bryan Colangelo on the FAN590. Relatively long interview. Most surprised to hear that he and the family are actually living in TO!!

The broadcast will probably be available for download fairly soon I suppose. Worth a listen...kinda feel sorry for him actually.

ps...one thing stood out...amid all the names mentioned Masai was missing

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
      Just finished hearing our "friend" Bryan Colangelo on the FAN590. Relatively long interview. Most surprised to hear that he and the family are actually living in TO!!

The broadcast will probably be available for download fairly soon I suppose. Worth a listen...kinda feel sorry for him actually.

BC was an absolute undeniable nightmare. I don't care about the guys he brought in that are on the current version of this team.

Hedo
      The Nash ordeal (aka Landry)
      Rudy Gay
      Andrea Bargnani
      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
      Because its 2015

Comment

• Sheeesh.
        - Masai pulls the trigger on the Gay trade.
        - Many media types, non of whom ever speculate, but always get it straight, see it as a tanking move.
        - Many fans, all of whom saw Gay as an extremely high priced anchor of the team, follow suit with "it's a tank move". Tank move to get rid of the anchor? Okay, makes sense. Not.
        - But some *cough* didn't see the tank nature of that at all, but getting rid of a problem, with damn good return, whatever last years outcome would have been. As it turns out, it produced brilliant results, beyond what could have been expected, but that doesn't take away from it never being anything resembling a tank move. To say no way Madai planned on the level of success is a straw man argument.
        - Some foolish teams, that are in dire need of a PG, most notably the dysfunctional Knicks, see dumping Rudy the "star" as a tank move, so call Masai with ridiculous offers.
        - In the hyped media capital of the world, Knicks offer 2 pieces of crap and a draft pick 5 drafts away.
        - Now here's where it gets really hazy. Best any media can say is Masai spoke to them about a deal that would "INCLUDE" Shumbert.Gee, Woj brought Hardaway into the convo too, so maybe both. Apparently nobody really knows what exactly was discussed, but it did "include...." "something" that Dolan scotched it.
        - So, nobody is able to clearly say what the discussion was, but "sources", that to be accurate can only be very inside circle people within the Knicks org., say the Knicks tried to work a deal, but that damn Masai guy up in Toronto wanted too much. That can't be Knicks management trying to placate disgruntled Knicks fans by saying "see, we tried", could it? Fine NBA organizations like the Knicks wouldn't manipulate the media like that, now would they? Naw.
        - Pro tanking fans jump up and down with glee that Masai must be following their desired path.
        - Masai doesn't pull the trigger on any of the reported "interest" from multiple teams, KL and DD go on to lead the team to the Atl crown and 3rd seed n the East.
        - A year later, pro-tanking fans still saying Masai was trying to tank, despite him showing zero desperation to unload Kyle, accepting no offers, and all we know is he talked to some people about a deal that "INCLUDED.........". A "reported, but not confirmed by anyone" deal that if it actually was agreed upon, may have included stuff we have no idea about, and may not have resembled a "tank" at all.

I don't know guys. The only concrete thing in all of that media bs is that the Knicks called with a specific offer that Masai rightly turned down, some source whose best interests lie with the Knicks, leaked to the media that Masai spoke to them about a deal that INCLUDED (no other details) blah blah, but you guys wish to be convinced that Masai was tanking. I see it as still trying to grasp at straws, a year later, but we're all entitled to our own opinion. Let's just recognize it as opinion though, and not fact.

(I love many things about the internet, but one of it's many faults is the proliferation of urban myths based on half truths and speculation)

Comment

Just finished hearing our "friend" Bryan Colangelo on the FAN590. Relatively long interview. Most surprised to hear that he and the family are actually living in TO!!

I imagine at some point Masai had to make it clear he would have final say in all basketball decisions.

Given that BC gave Masai a break naming him assistant GM I doubt that was an easy thing to accept. We know BC tried and he fought tooth and nail but he failed. To make matters worse, at the end, it was about saving his job above all. It sounds as if that mentality is a perfect fit in the MLSE culture.

But enough shitting on BC. Reality is he did get the team to 2 moves away from where we are now. Refusing to trade Bargnani was his ultimate blunder and, while the trade itself was a failure, the trade for Gay provided the piece to create the current Raps bench/depth.

But it was totally time for him to go.

I just hope he is not attempting to out wait Leiweke to get back in!

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            I imagine at some point Masai had to make it clear he would have final say in all basketball decisions.

Given that BC gave Masai a break naming him assistant GM I doubt that was an easy thing to accept. We know BC tried and he fought tooth and nail but he failed. To make matters worse, at the end, it was about saving his job above all. It sounds as if that mentality is a perfect fit in the MLSE culture.

But enough shitting on BC. Reality is he did get the team to 2 moves away from where we are now. Refusing to trade Bargnani was his ultimate blunder and, while the trade itself was a failure, the trade for Gay provided the piece to create the current Raps bench/depth.

But it was totally time for him to go.

I just hope he is not attempting to out wait Leiweke to get back in!
            Although, if you think about it, and for reasons you just mentioned, he sounds like just the guy MLSE would hire to replace Leiweke (other than the fact he's not a hockey guy)
            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
              Although, if you think about it, and for reasons you just mentioned, he sounds like just the guy MLSE would hire to replace Leiweke (other than the fact he's not a hockey guy)
              Wow

That is a scary thought.

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                BC was an absolute undeniable nightmare. I don't care about the guys he brought in that are on the current version of this team.

Hedo
                The Nash ordeal (aka Landry)
                Rudy Gay
                Andrea Bargnani
                And there were others...a couple who come to mind...broken down Oneal, broken down Peja who didnt want to stay, Shawn Marion who didnt stick around and could do nothing with cap space/trade exceptions. My "sorry" comment was a reference to the wistfulness of his tone on the radio. I think he desperately wants to get back in the saddle and has not to date.

Comment

• @ McHappy

Good grief...I hadnt even thought of the Leiweke leaving/replacement angle. He did mention how close he is/still converses with Tannenbaum and others in ownership. If he did get back I am sure Masai would leave simply on the question of independence.

Comment

• lol, wouldn't BC getting re-hired blow up the angst metre. Crazy thing is, if his role was defined as solely the "business" manager, he might actually be the right guy for the job.

Comment

@ McHappy

Good grief...I hadnt even thought of the Leiweke leaving/replacement angle. He did mention how close he is/still converses with Tannenbaum and others in ownership. If he did get back I am sure Masai would leave simply on the question of independence.
                      I'm not sure it would be automatic. He does have a very good contract and he is settled in Toronto and he does have a good thing going. I would imagine he'd let things play out to see how the working arrangement functioned.

I don't believe in coincidences very often. Is BC angling for TL job or is MLSE putting him out there to get public perception?

Either way, food for thought.

Comment

• chico wrote: View Post
                        lol, wouldn't BC getting re-hired blow up the angst metre. Crazy thing is, if his role was defined as solely the "business" manager, he might actually be the right guy for the job.
                        Playing with fire imo. He still comes across as too close/having feelings for the team and wanting to be involved in basketball. Once in (inspite of any written job description) the lure to even just sit in on bb discussions would be too powerful for a bb junkie...and I couldnt blame him. Tannebaum should just hire him for his private business as a frontman for condo building if he really felt compelled. Masai just has to be left alone.

Comment

Playing with fire imo. He still comes across as too close/having feelings for the team and wanting to be involved in basketball. Once in (inspite of any written job description) the lure to even just sit in on bb discussions would be too powerful for a bb junkie...and I couldnt blame him. Tannebaum should just hire him for his private business as a frontman for condo building if he really felt compelled. Masai just has to be left alone.
                          Just in case anyone out there missed it

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            Just in case anyone out there missed it
                            Haha....I think TL left him alone and he must be accustomed to being the decision maker on all bb matters by now (in Denver son Kronke was quite involved). Messing with that dynamic will not be a good business decision for MLSE for any incoming President.....unless MU proverbially falls off the wagon.

Comment

lol, totally agree with the bold! Awwww, was just trying to say that with the RIGHT ROLE, clearly defined, and totally outside GM/Masai's responsibilities and control, he might work. lol, maybe more my twisted sense of humour trying to imagine a scenario that would blow some minds. Sorry.

Comment

• chico wrote: View Post
                                lol, totally agree with the bold! Awwww, was just trying to say that with the RIGHT ROLE, clearly defined, and totally outside GM/Masai's responsibilities and control, he might work. lol, maybe more my twisted sense of humour trying to imagine a scenario that would blow some minds. Sorry.
                                Oh I understand your pov....I am just in the "why take a chance" mode here....sure there are other business types around.

ps...it might still be around someplace lol...but I remember posting something on the possibility that the Teachers people should look at BC after Peddie as the Pres. and a new GM be hired for the Raptors. BC I believe has a business degree from Cornell and carried himself well in a boardroom sort of way (my perception)...lol...a few moons ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X