Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The offense is flawed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The offense is flawed

    This article is an awesome breakdown of the Raps X's and O's under Casey. Everybody keeps focusing on DD, GV, Lowry hero/ISO ball as the main problem, but the real root cause seems to be that this exactly what they are being told to do by Casey. As we saw last night vs. the Bulls, and in the playoffs vs. the Nets, the offense can be shutdown pretty easily when other teams decide to pack the paint. The dribble-drive attack strategy becomes fairly predictable, with no effective counters against good defenses.

    Discuss.

    http://www.sbnation.com/2014/11/13/7...ern-conference

    The problem with Toronto's drive-at-all-costs offensive approach is that it doesn't lend itself to great fluidity. Toronto doesn't have many players adept at setting others up for shots. Lowry, as brilliant as he is, leans toward the shoot-first spectrum among point guards. DeRozan has improved his reads, but he, like Williams, is a scorer. Vasquez fits the profile, but has become more shot-happy since coming to Toronto. Terrence Ross is a spot-up player without much vision.

    All this explains why Toronto is in the bottom half of the league in passes per game for the second straight year and trending downward. Toronto was 17th in total passes and 22nd in assist opportunities last year; they're down to 21st and 29th in those categories, respectively, this season. This is the flip side to being a low-turnover team: fewer passes means fewer chances to throw errant passes, but it also means fewer passes.

    This isn't a fatal flaw in the regular season, but it could hurt them come playoff time when teams lock in on top offensive options. The Nets provided a blueprint for opponents in last year's playoffs, shutting off DeRozan's easy passing reads on post ups and forcing Lowry to create offense for himself.

  • #2
    The offence has always been terrible, but Derozan got enough free-throws to fool people into thinking he, and it, were good.

    When Derozan is defended by a good defender, he's useless, and our offence falls apart because he's supposed to be the focal point. When this happens, Lowry also gets over-aggressive in trying to score, and struggles as well.

    Good offences revolve around the post, not the perimeter. Not unless you have a once in a generation wing player. That doesn't mean you need a superstar post scorer, but you need to move the ball in and out of the post, and you need someone capable of scoring there to keep defence honest.

    I'm hoping to see the offence shift to focus on JV / (insert post scorer that Masai can get).

    Comment


    • #3
      KHD wrote: View Post
      The offence has always been terrible, but Derozan got enough free-throws to fool people into thinking he, and it, were good.

      When Derozan is defended by a good defender, he's useless, and our offence falls apart because he's supposed to be the focal point. When this happens, Lowry also gets over-aggressive in trying to score, and struggles as well.

      Good offences revolve around the post, not the perimeter. Not unless you have a once in a generation wing player. That doesn't mean you need a superstar post scorer, but you need to move the ball in and out of the post, and you need someone capable of scoring there to keep defence honest.

      I'm hoping to see the offence shift to focus on JV / (insert post scorer that Masai can get).
      I do not find comfort in relying on the whistle.

      Comment


      • #4
        mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        I do not find comfort in relying on the whistle.
        Neither do I. Especially in the playoffs.

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't understand why everything is run through DeMar. Every play is Kyle dribbles ball up floor. Stops at 3 point line. Passes to DeMar. Everyone waits for what DeMar is going to do.

          Essentially Kyles only PG role is to bring the ball up the floor and pass it to DeMar. It's ridiculous, especially when (atleast this year) deMar tends to make terrible decisions.

          Vasquez runs more plays than Lowry. That's not right. I hate watching this offence. It's so ugly.
          Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
          Because its 2015

          Comment


          • #6
            KHD wrote: View Post
            The offence has always been terrible, but Derozan got enough free-throws to fool people into thinking he, and it, were good.

            When Derozan is defended by a good defender, he's useless, and our offence falls apart because he's supposed to be the focal point. When this happens, Lowry also gets over-aggressive in trying to score, and struggles as well.

            Good offences revolve around the post, not the perimeter. Not unless you have a once in a generation wing player. That doesn't mean you need a superstar post scorer, but you need to move the ball in and out of the post, and you need someone capable of scoring there to keep defence honest.

            I'm hoping to see the offence shift to focus on JV / (insert post scorer that Masai can get).
            If it's gonna go inside to JV, he's gotta be aware of his 4 teammates on the court. I would say 90% of the time he looks for his own shot. Not that I blame him, cause he gets overlooked a lot, but he has to become a better facilitator in those situations and not always look for his own shot.
            The Double Champ is here!
            Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
            Raptors: Larry O'Brien

            Comment


            • #7
              Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
              I don't understand why everything is run through DeMar. Every play is Kyle dribbles ball up floor. Stops at 3 point line. Passes to DeMar. Everyone waits for what DeMar is going to do.

              Essentially Kyles only PG role is to bring the ball up the floor and pass it to DeMar. It's ridiculous, especially when (atleast this year) deMar tends to make terrible decisions.

              Vasquez runs more plays than Lowry. That's not right. I hate watching this offence. It's so ugly.
              When DeRozan plays within the team and is engaged on both ends, he's a beauty to watch, truly exhibiting all-star capabilities.

              When he doesn't, as in last night, he looks more like DeRudy DeGay. Game-changing hero-ball and pylon-esque defense, while DC stands there and continues to call his number.

              I don't get it... at some point it becomes less about the player who's playing poorly and more about the coach who's not only condemning it, but encouraging it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Mack North wrote: View Post
                If it's gonna go inside to JV, he's gotta be aware of his 4 teammates on the court. I would say 90% of the time he looks for his own shot. Not that I blame him, cause he gets overlooked a lot, but he has to become a better facilitator in those situations and not always look for his own shot.
                I agree, but I think that will come naturally.

                As much as we like to hope that guys are always team-first, I know from experience that it's a lot easier to pass the ball if you know you'll have a chance to get it back at some point. Especially for young players, I think.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The offense is not terrible. The Raptors are one of the top offensive teams in the league.

                  Stop using aesthetics as the measure of offense.

                  That said, relying on the whistle and low turnover rate is not necessarily a good recipe for success. So yes, flawed I agree. Terrible is a ridiculous overstatement.
                  That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    playoff ball is an inside/out game. Until the Raptors develop some kind of consistent play in the paint, either on the box, or in the high post, they won't be a serious threat to the top tier teams in the league. the majority of the roster consistent of the same type of player. a drive first, or picknpop forward. Your top players must be able to affect the game in multiple ways. guard your position, rebound, make the extra pass, extra effort plays. that's what wins overall

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Mack North wrote: View Post
                      If it's gonna go inside to JV, he's gotta be aware of his 4 teammates on the court. I would say 90% of the time he looks for his own shot. Not that I blame him, cause he gets overlooked a lot, but he has to become a better facilitator in those situations and not always look for his own shot.
                      i agree. JV gets a bit tunnel vision when he gets the ball and it turns into a one on one backdown. he's not that type player.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        otiswolf1 wrote: View Post
                        playoff ball is an inside/out game. Until the Raptors develop some kind of consistent play in the paint, either on the box, or in the high post, they won't be a serious threat to the top tier teams in the league. the majority of the roster consistent of the same type of player. a drive first, or picknpop forward. Your top players must be able to affect the game in multiple ways. guard your position, rebound, make the extra pass, extra effort plays. that's what wins overall
                        SI had a quote from Casey last night saying the raps are a perimeter oriented team and with the personnel they have now he doesn't see that changing. So much for JV getting looks this year.....
                        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                        Because its 2015

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think Greg Monroe is our most realistic target for a stud offensive big. Expiring contract, so not sure what it takes to rent him for 5 months. He'd bring some much-needed balance to our offensive sets. We'll finally have a big worthy of a double-team, which makes the offense flow much easier.

                          He's not the greatest defender, but at 24 years old, he's still fairly young, with opportunity to improve on the defensive end under a real defensive coach combined with a winning environment.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'd like Monroe to see if he fits for the year. We've got enough expirings maybe old Stan would be interested at the trade deadline
                            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                            Because its 2015

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Mack North wrote: View Post
                              If it's gonna go inside to JV, he's gotta be aware of his 4 teammates on the court. I would say 90% of the time he looks for his own shot. Not that I blame him, cause he gets overlooked a lot, but he has to become a better facilitator in those situations and not always look for his own shot.
                              I agree.

                              Good thing is he has shown ability to do it.

                              His head needs a really, really good shake right now to snap out of it.

                              It is obvious something is wrong with him physically or he is letting stuff get to him mentally.

                              He needs an "FU Attitude" towards the game.... and sometimes your coach too.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X