Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grange lacks an original thought (JV spin)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grange lacks an original thought (JV spin)

    Time for Michael Grange to do more than accept Casey huddle interview talking points as fact.

    First off, no question JV is struggling. The reason is quite apparent: a) he is injured, and b) he looks like he needs to call 1-800-668-6868.



    During the first two weeks of the Raptors’ season, Valanciunas’s numbers are down across the board compared to 2013-14—especially his minutes, which are headed in entirely the wrong direction.
    JV is, unfortunately, not able to control his minutes. That is the coach.


    For many players, the third season is the one in which their game starts coming together, and after Valanciunas spent the summer adding muscle and dominating against international competition while starring for Lithuania at the FIBA World Championships in Spain, expectations for the Raptors’ budding star couldn’t have been higher. In Spain, he led Lithuania at 14.4 points per game on an absurd 69.6 percent shooting from the field to go with 8.4 rebounds per.

    In the NBA, however, he’s (understandably) lower on the food chain. And while that’s not an excuse for Valanciunas’s early struggles, it does help explain his difficulty finding his rhythm so far.
    But why is JV lower on the food chain? When looking at his:

    1) offensive rating - 113 - 3rd among starters (KL: 122, Amir: 126, DD: 104, TR: 111)

    2) True Shooting %: a respectable 57.6% and 4th among starters (KL: .581, Amir: .600, TR: .585, DD: .501)

    3) Effective Shooting %: 48.1% which is not good but good for 4th among starters (KL: 52.2%, Amir: 58.8%, TR: 56%, DD: 40%)


    Likewise, in Toronto Valanciunas is forced to take a sizeable backseat offensively to Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan, who initiate the Raptors offence and have combined for 114 shots thus far (Valanciunas has put up 26).
    Again, why? Lowry, OK, I get and the numbers back it up, along with the eye test. But DD? The guy with a 104 ORtg, 50.15 TS, and 40% eFG%?

    Also, why is he 7th in FGA per game? DeRozan (16.7), Lowry (12.9), Ross (9.3), Vasquez (8.8), Amir (8.5), Lou (7.6), and then JV (6.8).


    While it’s true that on Dwane Casey’s club Valanciunas is hardly the offensive centrepiece he plays for the Lithuanian team, he’s also had a hard time finishing gimmes near the hoop, and is shooting below 50 percent for the first time in his career.
    True. But look beyond the numbers, Michael. Do you see a confident young man? Why not? This is a very highly accomplished 22 year old player player.

    That’s likely a big part of why he’s also seeing the floor less than ever, as Casey favours a situational lineup with minutes distributed more evenly across all his bigs—Valanciunas, Amir Johnson, Patrick Patterson and Tyler Hansbrough. That strategy has been effective thus far, and the versatility of the front court as a whole is a big part of the Raptors’ success. But you can’t help but wonder whether this was the plan all along, or whether Valanciunas is already losing the trust of his coaches.

    His minutes over the last three games: 23:01, 20:27, 22:59.

    Valanciunas was drafted fifth overall with the hopes that he’d develop into a true franchise-calibre centre, a rarity these days. Hell, for a while there last season in the playoffs against the Brooklyn Nets, averaging 14 and 14 over the first three games of the series, he looked like he already was that player.
    Bold 1: Why? Why doesn't Casey play to his strengths and make other teams adapt to him? It is not like JV doesn't contribute more than points. His DRtg is 3rd best on the team and his TRB% leads the team at a solid 18.5%.

    Bold 2: If the coaches have lost confidence in a 22 year old going through a rough patch, find new coaches.

    Bold 3: JV is still young enough to be a draft pick. He might not dominate like Shaq but no reason to suggest he is not going to be able to be an upper tier C in the league.


    But as we’ve seen early in this campaign, the 22-year-old is still a work in progress. If this were a Raptors team that didn’t have a whole lot to play for in terms of playoff positioning, then Casey could comfortably leave Valanciunas on the floor and play through any lapses. But this season, on a club with its sights set on a spot in the conference finals, sacrificing for the sake of the big man’s development is a luxury the Raptors just don’t have.
    And there is the biggest propaganda Casey is selling. You see you can't have it both ways. You can't, in one breath say, it is an 82 game schedule, it is a long grind, there will be ups and downs, etc. etc. but in the next say there is no room for development. BS. The only problem with JVs development is the philosophy of the coach and the penchant to play favourites with an obvious bias to the perimeter. If you don't develop JV now, if you don't work through his struggles - as we see so many undeserving players get the benefit of under Casey - then you can forget about ever taking the next step with the team as constructed as currently is.

    And so, as the Chicago Bulls stepped on the throats of the Raptors during the second half last night and reminded us all of the current pecking order in the East, Valanciunas watched from the bench. After logging more than 18 minutes in the first half, he saw just four in the second.
    First half score: 53-45 Toronto
    Second half score: 55-40 Chicago

    A tale of two halves indeed.


    Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...ce=twitterfeed

  • #2
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Time for Michael Grange to do more than accept Casey huddle interview talking points as fact.

    First off, no question JV is struggling. The reason is quite apparent: a) he is injured, and b) he looks like he needs to call 1-800-668-6868.





    JV is, unfortunately, not able to control his minutes. That is the coach.




    But why is JV lower on the food chain? When looking at his:

    1) offensive rating - 113 - 3rd among starters (KL: 122, Amir: 126, DD: 104, TR: 111)

    2) True Shooting %: a respectable 57.6% and 4th among starters (KL: .581, Amir: .600, TR: .585, DD: .501)

    3) Effective Shooting %: 48.1% which is not good but good for 4th among starters (KL: 52.2%, Amir: 58.8%, TR: 56%, DD: 40%)




    Again, why? Lowry, OK, I get and the numbers back it up, along with the eye test. But DD? The guy with a 104 ORtg, 50.15 TS, and 40% eFG%?

    Also, why is he 7th in FGA per game? DeRozan (16.7), Lowry (12.9), Ross (9.3), Vasquez (8.8), Amir (8.5), Lou (7.6), and then JV (6.8).




    True. But look beyond the numbers, Michael. Do you see a confident young man? Why not? This is a very highly accomplished 22 year old player player.



    Bold 1: Why? Why doesn't Casey play to his strengths and make other teams adapt to him? It is not like JV doesn't contribute more than points. His DRtg is 3rd best on the team and his TRB% leads the team at a solid 18.5%.

    Bold 2: If the coaches have lost confidence in a 22 year old going through a rough patch, find new coaches.

    Bold 3: JV is still young enough to be a draft pick. He might not dominate like Shaq but no reason to suggest he is not going to be able to be an upper tier C in the league.




    And there is the biggest propaganda Casey is selling. You see you can't have it both ways. You can't, in one breath say, it is an 82 game schedule, it is a long grind, there will be ups and downs, etc. etc. but in the next say there is no room for development. BS. The only problem with JVs development is the philosophy of the coach and the penchant to play favourites with an obvious bias to the perimeter. If you don't develop JV now, if you don't work through his struggles - as we see so many undeserving players get the benefit of under Casey - then you can forget about ever taking the next step with the team as constructed as currently is.



    First half score: 53-45 Toronto
    Second half score: 55-40 Chicago

    A tale of two halves indeed.


    Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...ce=twitterfeed
    I stand and salute you mchappy52. You see the game for what it is. So sick of the general theme of these boards "hes a coach and youre not" and the constant desperate justification for Casey's minute allotment, derozans shot selection etc.

    Lets call a spade a spade. Dwane Casey is killing his best bigs development.
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

    Comment


    • #3
      Do you guys think we could get J-Kidd from the Bucks!?

      Comment


      • #4
        mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Time for Michael Grange to do more than accept Casey huddle interview talking points as fact.

        First off, no question JV is struggling. The reason is quite apparent: a) he is injured, and b) he looks like he needs to call 1-800-668-6868.





        JV is, unfortunately, not able to control his minutes. That is the coach.




        But why is JV lower on the food chain? When looking at his:

        1) offensive rating - 113 - 3rd among starters (KL: 122, Amir: 126, DD: 104, TR: 111)

        2) True Shooting %: a respectable 57.6% and 4th among starters (KL: .581, Amir: .600, TR: .585, DD: .501)

        3) Effective Shooting %: 48.1% which is not good but good for 4th among starters (KL: 52.2%, Amir: 58.8%, TR: 56%, DD: 40%)




        Again, why? Lowry, OK, I get and the numbers back it up, along with the eye test. But DD? The guy with a 104 ORtg, 50.15 TS, and 40% eFG%?

        Also, why is he 7th in FGA per game? DeRozan (16.7), Lowry (12.9), Ross (9.3), Vasquez (8.8), Amir (8.5), Lou (7.6), and then JV (6.8).




        True. But look beyond the numbers, Michael. Do you see a confident young man? Why not? This is a very highly accomplished 22 year old player player.



        Bold 1: Why? Why doesn't Casey play to his strengths and make other teams adapt to him? It is not like JV doesn't contribute more than points. His DRtg is 3rd best on the team and his TRB% leads the team at a solid 18.5%.

        Bold 2: If the coaches have lost confidence in a 22 year old going through a rough patch, find new coaches.

        Bold 3: JV is still young enough to be a draft pick. He might not dominate like Shaq but no reason to suggest he is not going to be able to be an upper tier C in the league.




        And there is the biggest propaganda Casey is selling. You see you can't have it both ways. You can't, in one breath say, it is an 82 game schedule, it is a long grind, there will be ups and downs, etc. etc. but in the next say there is no room for development. BS. The only problem with JVs development is the philosophy of the coach and the penchant to play favourites with an obvious bias to the perimeter. If you don't develop JV now, if you don't work through his struggles - as we see so many undeserving players get the benefit of under Casey - then you can forget about ever taking the next step with the team as constructed as currently is.



        First half score: 53-45 Toronto
        Second half score: 55-40 Chicago

        A tale of two halves indeed.


        Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...ce=twitterfeed
        This is 100000% true

        Anyone has problems are not understanding what going on or there blindly following like they did with Colangelo, Rudy, Bargs etc
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

        Comment


        • #5
          We need to forget about getting 50 wins. We need to forget about making playoffs if we have to. But if you want to develop JV or Ross. They need to go through it.
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

          Comment


          • #6
            I bet Michael Grange knows more than you do.

            Message board people get caught up in their own vacuums.... just because you think you know, and you say it repeatedly, it doesn't make it right.

            You get caught up worshipping a GM, but hating a coach. Now there is no time in your world to bother with the fact that both the GM and coach, AND all the assistant coaches meet and discuss and plan EVERYTHING. But hey man, we here in basketball valhalla, we see it as it is.

            8 Games in, and Casey is destroying JV. I guess he made him fat too. Perhaps he was in Wasaga with him last year as well?

            Maybe your precious Big man is just average? Maybe he really IS just 22 and you know, he's a dumbass and needs to grow up a bit. Maybe, ad this is a huge one, maybe Casey is a teeny tiny closer to all of it than any of us are.... and I would bett everything that Grange is somewhere in between....

            I don't mind ripping these guys during games, its fun.... but I find it laughable after the fact when people on messageboards start second guessing an NBA coaches ability to coach a basketball team, short term or long, armed with nothing more than a few stat sites and their own limited basketball experience gained solely from the internet.

            They ARE coaches.

            You my friend, are not.

            Comment


            • #7
              Outta Pau's mouth:

              “Continue to work, and develop your NBA game during practices. Make sure your teammates and coaches see what you’re capable of doing and, eventually, it will translate to the games. Your teammates will be more comfortable with you, they will find comfort in knowing what you will do with the ball once you get it; that you will be successful with it and make something positive happen for your team.

              “That’s my advice.”
              Its Speaks volumes.

              Comment


              • #8
                Superjudge wrote: View Post
                I bet Michael Grange knows more than you do.

                Message board people get caught up in their own vacuums.... just because you think you know, and you say it repeatedly, it doesn't make it right.

                You get caught up worshipping a GM, but hating a coach. Now there is no time in your world to bother with the fact that both the GM and coach, AND all the assistant coaches meet and discuss and plan EVERYTHING. But hey man, we here in basketball valhalla, we see it as it is.

                8 Games in, and Casey is destroying JV. I guess he made him fat too. Perhaps he was in Wasaga with him last year as well?

                Maybe your precious Big man is just average? Maybe he really IS just 22 and you know, he's a dumbass and needs to grow up a bit. Maybe, ad this is a huge one, maybe Casey is a teeny tiny closer to all of it than any of us are.... and I would bett everything that Grange is somewhere in between....

                I don't mind ripping these guys during games, its fun.... but I find it laughable after the fact when people on messageboards start second guessing an NBA coaches ability to coach a basketball team, short term or long, armed with nothing more than a few stat sites and their own limited basketball experience gained solely from the internet.

                They ARE coaches.

                You my friend, are not.
                Ah, the old "coaches are always right and youre always wrong". Youre late to the party today!
                It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Superjudge wrote: View Post
                  I bet Michael Grange knows more than you do.

                  Message board people get caught up in their own vacuums.... just because you think you know, and you say it repeatedly, it doesn't make it right.

                  You get caught up worshipping a GM, but hating a coach. Now there is no time in your world to bother with the fact that both the GM and coach, AND all the assistant coaches meet and discuss and plan EVERYTHING. But hey man, we here in basketball valhalla, we see it as it is.

                  8 Games in, and Casey is destroying JV. I guess he made him fat too. Perhaps he was in Wasaga with him last year as well?

                  Maybe your precious Big man is just average? Maybe he really IS just 22 and you know, he's a dumbass and needs to grow up a bit. Maybe, ad this is a huge one, maybe Casey is a teeny tiny closer to all of it than any of us are.... and I would bett everything that Grange is somewhere in between....

                  I don't mind ripping these guys during games, its fun.... but I find it laughable after the fact when people on messageboards start second guessing an NBA coaches ability to coach a basketball team, short term or long, armed with nothing more than a few stat sites and their own limited basketball experience gained solely from the internet.

                  They ARE coaches.

                  You my friend, are not.
                  hahaha, yup "we see it as it is", and Casey's an idiot, hahaha. Rap of the day.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Superjudge wrote: View Post
                    I bet Michael Grange knows more than you do.

                    Message board people get caught up in their own vacuums.... just because you think you know, and you say it repeatedly, it doesn't make it right.

                    You get caught up worshipping a GM, but hating a coach. Now there is no time in your world to bother with the fact that both the GM and coach, AND all the assistant coaches meet and discuss and plan EVERYTHING. But hey man, we here in basketball valhalla, we see it as it is.

                    8 Games in, and Casey is destroying JV. I guess he made him fat too. Perhaps he was in Wasaga with him last year as well?

                    Maybe your precious Big man is just average? Maybe he really IS just 22 and you know, he's a dumbass and needs to grow up a bit. Maybe, ad this is a huge one, maybe Casey is a teeny tiny closer to all of it than any of us are.... and I would bett everything that Grange is somewhere in between....

                    I don't mind ripping these guys during games, its fun.... but I find it laughable after the fact when people on messageboards start second guessing an NBA coaches ability to coach a basketball team, short term or long, armed with nothing more than a few stat sites and their own limited basketball experience gained solely from the internet.

                    They ARE coaches.

                    You my friend, are not.
                    Here I thought you were smarter then this Craig.

                    Silly of me .
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      chico wrote: View Post
                      hahaha, yup "we see it as it is", and Casey's an idiot, hahaha. Rap of the day.
                      Oh and here comes tweedle dum. Thank god, i was missing condescending posts all day.
                      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        Ah, the old "coaches are always right and youre always wrong". Youre late to the party today!
                        Nobody's always right, but people with 1,000% more real life expertise and experience, and 100% closer to the real situation every day, are a fuck of a lot more right than internet "coaches" with stats to wave around

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A post that has nothing to do with the subject, and is totally personal stabs. I get threatened with banishment for this crap. Do you?

                          KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Oh and here comes tweedle dum. Thank god, i was missing condescending posts all day.
                          How was that condescending, pal. Any more than the following? How about the above?

                          KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Ah, the old "coaches are always right and youre always wrong". Youre late to the party today!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            chico wrote: View Post
                            Nobody's always right, but people with 1,000% more real life expertise and experience, and 100% closer to the real situation every day, are a fuck of a lot more right than internet "coaches" with stats to wave around
                            Ever heard of missing what's right under your nose?

                            Nobody is going to respect your opinion unless you can provide some tangible evidence to say Casey is a lot better coach than we think because he doesn't play JV.

                            The floor is yours.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                              Ever heard of missing what's right under your nose?

                              Nobody is going to respect your opinion unless you can provide some tangible evidence to say Casey is a lot better coach than we think because he doesn't play JV.

                              The floor is yours.
                              I'm not here to seek your respect. Simply to express my opinion. If you can't respect that, tough.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X