Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Is Birch "perfectly fine" though?

Not saying LEBRON is the be-all/end-all advanced stat, but Birch ranked 89th in LEBRON for centers, just ahead of Alex Len and behind Ed Davis.

He had a negative rating in both O-LEBRON (-1.26) and D-LEBRON (-0.84). The negative D-LEBRON rating would be even more concerning, since Birch would be surrounded by much better defenders on the Raptors, with a defensive-minded coach, yet he still posted a sub-par defensive rating.
    Depends where you place him in the rotation. He's not just playing behind Precious, he's playing behind Boucher, Pascal, OG and sometimes Barnes. My guess is Birch will fade to the far end of bench this season.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

LEBRON is a bit of an outlier here. Other impact stats think Birch is pretty average (49th percentile EPM, 234th in the league in RAPTOR which is like 7-8th guy range). And more importantly, he did fine in terms of lineup success when he played this year which is all you really look for from a low minutes player, and heck he had the best on/offs in the playoffs so no reason to think he's any sort of real priority to upgrade.

Their insistence on using him as the starter after Precious had taken the leap was weird and they should not keep doing it but he's pretty obviously absolutely fine as a backup. No issue adding more depth with another depth C signing if there's an easy upgrade on him available, but my point was just that if there is an interesting young C in the draft I'm not hesitating to draft them because I have a need to fill right away, Birch was signed precisely to be a catch all plug in C to avoid rushing guys to have to start, rushing prospects to have to be able to provide minutes right away, etc, and he's done exactly that thus far.
      He doesn't do well for the RAPTOR metrics or DARKO either he does present a positive DDARK.

Comment

• I think right now I'm leaning to Patrick Baldwin Jr. if he's healthy. I think he would be a complimentary bench player that could add some instant offence. The other guy is Max Christie, great defender, looks like he can be a knock down shooter. Both guys are still 19, and have tons of time to develop, but also have some polish to their game.

Baldwin' health is a big question mark, he's had a lot of lower body injuries that may have slowed him down.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
          I think right now I'm leaning to Patrick Baldwin Jr. if he's healthy. I think he would be a complimentary bench player that could add some instant offence. The other guy is Max Christie, great defender, looks like he can be a knock down shooter. Both guys are still 19, and have tons of time to develop, but also have some polish to their game.

Baldwin' health is a big question mark, he's had a lot of lower body injuries that may have slowed him down.
          is max christie related to doug?

with baldwin... why did he have such a down year randomly.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

No, it does not appear there is a relation to Doug.

So I've read and listened to a few podcasts about Baldwin Jr.. So, some think he was hampered by injuries last year, he was a step slower than he was the year before. The other reason is, he was the only good player on a bad team. All the opposing defence's attention was on him, he had very few uncontested shots. If he played for Duke, or another team that he wasn't the only guy, he would've had a better year. His Dad coached the college team he played for, so he decided to go there.

He wouldn't need to be the top dog for the Raps, he could grow into a role, and develop. He has skill, and size, it's all really dependent on his health (work ethic and attitude as well).

Comment

• Max Christie is my preference, less question marks around him, and all around great prospect. 6’ -4.5” without shoes and 6’-9” wingspan, projects to be a good defender (defends 1-3, came from a good program in Michigan State). and projects to be a good 3pt shooter. Traits we value and need more of.

He turns 20 in Oct., it already looks like he has put on some muscle but could get stronger.

Comment

• David Roddy:

"At 6-5 and 255 he’s built more like a football player but has an extremely high skill level with the ball and is incredibly efficient.
                Roddy has a surprisingly quick first step and can dance with the ball on the perimeter and blow by his man and get to the hoop. He’s a great ball-handler and an overall crafty offensive player. He’s also a big-time shot maker, hitting an outstanding 57% from the field and over 46% from 3.
                Roddy isn’t your typical NBA prospect but he fits in today’s NBA as a multi-dimensional forward who can play small-ball 4 or even 5."

And with the 33rd pick, the Toronto Raptors zig while everyone else zags!

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  David Roddy:

"At 6-5 and 255 he’s built more like a football player but has an extremely high skill level with the ball and is incredibly efficient.
                  Roddy has a surprisingly quick first step and can dance with the ball on the perimeter and blow by his man and get to the hoop. He’s a great ball-handler and an overall crafty offensive player. He’s also a big-time shot maker, hitting an outstanding 57% from the field and over 46% from 3.
                  Roddy isn’t your typical NBA prospect but he fits in today’s NBA as a multi-dimensional forward who can play small-ball 4 or even 5."

And with the 33rd pick, the Toronto Raptors zig while everyone else zags!
                  Never say never, but with what is generally considered a low ceiling and lack of length I think the Raps zag on this one. If the do pick him up then it's great news cause it would mean they believe what he does well will translate to the NBA level.

Comment

• I have no idea who they will pick. Lots of length in our range, and we love length. A lot of good defensive guys too. Some raw, some not so raw. Draft night should be pretty exciting. Only a couple of days away now.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...card-prospect/

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                        You don't draft based on needs...unless needs and BPA align.
                        Sure, but BPA is often not an objective, unambiguous fact, and is thus always seen through the lens of needs, team building philosophy, and efficiency of asset usage.

Comment

• Here is a list of sleeper picks who will fall outside the lottery, according to yahoo sports.

Dalen Terry
                          Draft range: 15-35

Bryce McGowens
                          Draft range: 25-35

Peyton Watson
                          Draft range: 25-35

Caleb Houstan
                          Draft range: 20-35

Patrick Baldwin Jr.
                          Draft range: 25-40

Michael Foster Jr.
                          Draft range: 30-50

Christian Koloko
                          Draft range: 35-45

I'm most intrigued by Baldwin Jr. He seems like OG in that the only reason he could be available is due to injuries.

Caleb Houstan looks pretty good too.

If Terry is there we gotta take him but I don't think he makes it to our pick.

Comment

• Marjon Beauchamp

Kendall Brown

Add both of them to the guys that i'd like to see the Raps target.

Kendall Brown is not a wing, he's an undersized, super athetic PF like Aaron Gordon. Very good defender too. The knock on him is he can't shoot. He could be the steal of the draft if he ever develops a jump shot.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                              You don't draft based on needs...unless needs and BPA align.
                              Masai/Bobby/Tolzman's BPA is often quite different that mock consensus BPA, or even RR consensus BPA.

Never forget that... when people blow a gasket on draft night, right after the pick.

Comment

• I'd be happy with any of these guys(Terry is my #1 choice).

Dalen Terry
                                Christian Braun
                                Max Christie
                                McGowens
                                Houstan
                                Watson
                                Moore
                                Kendall Brown
                                Beauchamp

Big NO to drafting a center and definitely no to Patrick Baldwin Jr.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X