• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My top 3 has not changed:

1. Braun
    2. McGowens
    3. Christie

A couple of the mock drafts that I saw had Braun and McGowens going in the late 1st round though.

Givony of ESPN has the Raps taking Smith who's a microwave scorer. Everyone know what the Raps need -- a shooter/scorer.

As for backup big, i'd rather see them sign a big than draft a big. The only big that I like on this draft is Mark Williams but he's projected to go in the top 10.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• 2nd round big is far more likely to be Dewan Hernandez than someone who will stick with the team.

Take the best shooter / scorer who also defends available at our pick. That would be my strategy.

Comment

• Latest yahoo mock draft has us taking Trevor Keels from Duke.

Looks like a big guard who defends well. Seems like a reasonable choice.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
          Latest yahoo mock draft has us taking Trevor Keels from Duke.

Looks like a big guard who defends well. Seems like a reasonable choice.
          Mock drafts are meaningless when it comes to the Raptors brain trust.

Comment

• I was so upset at that Scottie pick.. and that was stupid in hindsight. I believe in Masai. Our FO will pick someone great.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              I was so upset at that Scottie pick.. and that was stupid in hindsight. I believe in Masai. Our FO will pick someone great.
              I hope so. But the Flynn pick over Bane was a big miss. You are more likely to miss than hit in the later picks. I would have had more faith with the pick if the Raptors kept their pick in the first round.

At this point it's just collecting another prospect to join the likes of Flynn, Banton, Champagnie, Brooks, Johnson & possibly Jalen/Kevon Harris to hopefully get a good + consistent role player in the future. This draft will also be judged on who the Raptors manage to entice to join their camp from those who weren't selected in the draft.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

I hope so. But the Flynn pick over Bane was a big miss. You are more likely to miss than hit in the later picks. I would have had more faith with the pick if the Raptors kept their pick in the first round.

At this point it's just collecting another prospect to join the likes of Flynn, Banton, Champagnie, Brooks, Johnson & possibly Jalen/Kevon Harris to hopefully get a good + consistent role player in the future. This draft will also be judged on who the Raptors manage to entice to join their camp from those who weren't selected in the draft.
                I'm 99.999% sure no one on this forum was screaming for Bane at the time. I think it's a case of hindsight is 20/20.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Mock drafts are meaningless when it comes to the Raptors brain trust.
                  But meaningful for us to have stuff to talk about in the forum. Especially useful this year since we have no clue who will be available at our pick, and the guys available we've all likely never heard of because they aren't college stars.

Comment

I'm 99.999% sure no one on this forum was screaming for Bane at the time. I think it's a case of hindsight is 20/20.
                    Not screaming but few posters mentioned his name on here that he had the right attitude, strength & athleticism to be a Raptor player & would be one of the consideration at that pick.

But unfortunately I think the lack of wingspan on Bane buried him from consideration (9 out of 10 times it would have been the correct call but not that day). Masai also worried about the future of Lowry leaving & opted for a higher IQ PG that hopefully will resemble FVV.

Lesson: Always try to go for BPA & never use the draft as plugging a hole.

I just hope Flynn is able to put it all together next season. At times he has shown good flashes of a solid backup but consistency over long period thus far eluded him.

Comment

I wasn't even thinking of Fred. I don't think Pascal has that ability. Scottie might. Did we ever see him find Boucher or Precious off a pick or something?

I think the bigger issue is Nick. He just doesn't use the PnR at all. Malachi looks like he'd be a good pick and roll guard, but he's used on offense the same way everyone else is.. dribble hand offs, and drive and kicks.

Big giant massive question.
                      Why doesn't Nick use the PnR?

Comment

But meaningful for us to have stuff to talk about in the forum. Especially useful this year since we have no clue who will be available at our pick, and the guys available we've all likely never heard of because they aren't college stars.
                        Yeah I think there is high probability when the name is called at the 33rd pick , 99% of Raptors fans will be like ..."WHO??!" before googling his name & be like: "ok Masai/Bobby, I see what you did there..but you left so & so on the board.." as per usual.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

The Flynn pick made some sense.... at the time. Raps were successful with the 2 small PG starting lineup. The team was planning the succession of Kyle Lowry and we needed another pure PG for depth. Fred was the heir apparent in the works for years. Flynn was a dead-eye 3-pt shooter and defensive player of the year in his conference and he would become the understudy at backup PG, learning from both Lowry and FVV.

One problem was that Flynn has been successful at a different style than how Nurse wants to play, i.e., aggressive drive & kick. Nurse also wants any player pushing the ball quickly in transition and the PG filling the lanes, which is counter to how Flynn is programmed. Flynn not consistently making his 3s would have secured a spot in the rotation for him, so that's on him. His defense is pretty good.

Still, in hindsight.... yes, it was a bad pick. But you could understand the logic behind it.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Big giant massive question.
                            Why doesn't Nick use the PnR?
                            Nurse doesn't call plays, in general. He wants his players to read & react to what they are seeing on the floor. So, what we end up seeing are the main ball-handlers playing to their strengths and avoiding their weaknesses.

The theory behind that is that it should make the offense un-predictable (i.e. spontaneous jazz), but what actually happens in reality is that players themselves have certain habits and go-to moves that they repeatedly fall back upon, especially under pressure. That's probably one reason why we end up seeing so much static ISO.

Comment

I was so upset at that Scottie pick.. and that was stupid in hindsight. I believe in Masai. Our FO will pick someone great.
                              That's why I wasn't happy with having to trade our FRP for Thad. We've got such a good scouting team I'd have thought their odds of finding a good player would be that much higher being able to pick 13 spots earlier.

Our guys were getting run into the ground so I get it we owed them some help.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

That's why I wasn't happy with having to trade our FRP for Thad. We've got such a good scouting team I'd have thought their odds of finding a good player would be that much higher being able to pick 13 spots earlier.

Our guys were getting run into the ground so I get it we owed them some help.
                                If we don't choke away game 3 and end up winning that series we'd be pretty damn happy about the trade back for Thad.

We needed to do something, everyone would have been pretty pissed had we done nothing and blamed the end result on sitting on our hands at the deadline.

This is a weak draft and there is less variance between the non-lotto picks so I think there's good chance we get a better player with our pick than a bunch of teams who picked ahead of us.

Comment

Working...
                                X