Everything 2022 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post
    Its probably the Raptors just doing their due diligence, whether they are interested in drafting a player or getting to know him for future trades or free agent signings.

Masai kept an eye on Scottie since he was in high school. These front offices get a feel for players way earlier than what we see or hear.
    Lottery picks don't always give interviews to teams that aren't in the running to draft them so still interesting.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Lottery picks don't always give interviews to teams that aren't in the running to draft them so still interesting.
      Fair enough. Its possible Masai is looking to trade up. He tried it with Giannis and most recently Shai.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
        I mean it would have to be Trent heading out the other way if they were interested in Mathurin right, both being SG's? Trent doesn't move the needle enough for a team looking for a win now player even with a future FRP, I do t think.
        You guys are over-valuing the 10th pick in a weak draft. There's a much higher probability that the 10th pick will be significantly worse than Trent who isn't even finished developing. And if it's not Masai/Bobby/Tolzman making that 10th pick.... the probability goes even higher.

And Trent is young enough to be a win-now AND win-later player. He's a good get for a lot of teams.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

You guys are over-valuing the 10th pick in a weak draft. There's a much higher probability that the 10th pick will be significantly worse than Trent who isn't even finished developing. And if it's not Masai/Bobby/Tolzman making that 10th pick.... the probability goes even higher.

And Trent is young enough to be a win-now AND win-later player. He's a good get for a lot of teams.
          I agree about Trent's value. I was making the case for not picking Suggs in last years draft because I thought Trent would be the better player for a few years until Suggs developed.

Trent's contract though doesn't provide a lot of assurance to a team trading their lottery pick that he will be there beyond the coming season.

Comment

It is a weak draft in the sense that the top end guys aren't as good as last year's. But this draft imo is as deep as last year. The guy that the Grizzlies picked 10th overall last year was Zaire Williams. The guy who's projected to go 10th this year is Mathurin. Who'd you rather have? Williams or Mathurin? i'd rather have Mathurin.

(for the record i'd rather have either one over Trent)
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

It is a weak draft in the sense that the top end guys aren't as good as last year's. But this draft imo is as deep as last year. The guy that the Grizzlies picked 10th overall last year was Zaire Williams. The guy who's projected to go 10th this year is Mathurin. Who'd you rather have? Williams or Mathurin? i'd rather have Mathurin.

Last year's top 10 are being compared to ATGs.
              This year's is compared to a very few all stars.
              Plus as you said, the top end guys aren't as good.
              So how is it as deep as last year's????

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...dness.amp.html

Comment

10th pick is a pretty mixed bag, man. It's not like top 5. You can get insanely lucky and draft a Paul George, or more likely that you draft KD (Keyon Dooling). Split the difference, and Trent is way more than fair value for that draft slot.

Trent average 18.3 PPG... 33rd leading scorer in the entire NBA. That's not chopped liver. And he is still a young & improving player. He's also a floor spacer, which is one of the most valuable commodities in the NBA.

A team like NOP with the 8th pick, who are now in position to make the jump to perennial playoff (and maybe contender) status, is a perfect landing spot for Trent. He would provide much needed floor spacing around Zion when he comes back, to go with CJ and Ingram, and also JV. The vets all want to win now, and the franchise has to show Zion that they are a legit contender. They can't wait to develop more rookies.

10th pick in NBA Draft, since 2000

2021 Zaire Williams
                2020 Jalen Smith
                2019 Cam Reddish, Duke – Atlanta Hawks
                2018 Mikal Bridges, Villanova – Phoenix Suns
                2017 Zach Collins, Gonzaga – Sacramento Kings
                2016 Thon Maker, Canada – Milwaukee Bucks
                2015 Justise Winslow, Duke – Miami HEAT
                2014 Elfrid Payton, Louisiana Layfayette – Philadelphia 76ers
                2013 C.J. McCollum, Lehigh – Portland Trail Blazers
                2012 Austin Rivers, UNC – New Orleans Hornets
                2011 Jimmer Fredette, BYU – Milwaukee Bucks
                2010 Paul George, Fresno State – Indiana Pacers
                2009 Brandon Jennings, Italy – Milwaukee Bucks
                2008 Brook Lopez, Stanford – New Jersey Nets
                2007 Spencer Hawes, Washington – Sacramento Kings
                2006 Saer Sene, Senegal – Seattle Supersonics
                2005 Andrew Bynum, St. Joseph (NJ) HS – L.A. Lakers
                2004 Luke Jackson, Oregon – Cleveland Cavaliers
                2003 Jarvis Hayes, Georgia – Washington Wizards
                2002 Caron Butler, Connecticut – Miami HEAT
                2001 Joe Johnson, Arkansas – Boston Celtics
                2000 Keyon Dooling, Missouri – Orlando Magic

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Last year's top 10 are being compared to ATGs.
                  This year's is compared to a very few all stars.
                  Plus as you said, the top end guys aren't as good.
                  So how is it as deep as last year's????

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...dness.amp.html
                  I remember people comparing last year's top 4 to atg's but I don't remember anyone comparing Davion Mitchell or Kuminga or Franz Wagner to atg's. Where did you get that from?

Anyway, top 10 = lottery. When I say depth i'm talking about mid/late 1st round and early 2nd round.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

I remember people comparing last year's top 4 to atg's but I don't remember anyone comparing Davion Mitchell or Kuminga or Franz Wagner to atg's. Where did you get that from?

Anyway, top 10 = lottery. When I say depth i'm talking about mid/late 1st round and early 2nd round.
                    So what you're saying is that after the top 5, you're doing well if you can draft a sold rotation player. Trent is already a solid rotation player, with some upside still to be tapped. Why are we even debating this? Trent is fair value for the draft slot that Mathurin could be available.

Comment

Yeah, last year's top 4 or 5.

No way this draft is as deep as last year's bro.
                      You're probably the only one that's saying that?
                      Only to justify your dislike of Trent?

Masai believes in Gary, so should you.
                      Last edited by Kagemusha; Fri May 20, 2022, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• The ONLY reason to even entertain moving GTJ for a pick is the contract security - more years at lower dollars, vs. GTJ possibly bouncing after this season. Otherwise, there is no way you're getting equal value (now) back, and you've no created a hole in the lineup that needs to be filled by a trade/FA. He was the best iso scorer on the team and one of the only reliable 3-pt shooters this year. He's only 23. He sounds like a hard worker. He seems to fit the culture. Unless you know he's bolting after next year, you don't sell a guy like that for a pick that MIGHT have his potential in 2-3 years.

Comment

So what you're saying is that after the top 5, you're doing well if you can draft a sold rotation player. Trent is already a solid rotation player, with some upside still to be tapped. Why are we even debating this? Trent is fair value for the draft slot that Mathurin could be available.
                          Is he? can you really rely on him EVERY game? you mentioned New Orleans. Would a team like New Orleans who has Ingram and Zion and McCollum let Trent shoot 16x a game? no. Why would they trade for him? because of his defense? Trent doesn't play defense. The Pelicans also have Herb Jones and Trey Murphy. Two wing guys that plays D. So where would Trent fit?

If i'm picking 6-10 in the draft, i'm picking a guy who has a chance to be an all star. Worst case scenario a starter. There are some interesting names who are projected to go 6-10 this year like Mathurin, Griffin, Davis. Who'd you rather have? one of those guys or Trent? be honest.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Masai believes in Gary, so should you.
                            He does? I don't remember Masai OR Nurse mentioning Trent as part of the core in their press conference a couple of weeks ago. They mentioned Scottie, Pascal, FVV, OG and Precious -- not Trent.

Here's the reality. I've been saying this since the start of last season. Trent will be a FA after next season. He is represented by Klutch. You know he's going to be asking for at least 20m/year. He is NOWHERE near worth that. So what do you do? trade.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Is he? can you really rely on him EVERY game? you mentioned New Orleans. Would a team like New Orleans who has Ingram and Zion and McCollum let Trent shoot 16x a game? no. Why would they trade for him? because of his defense? Trent doesn't play defense. The Pelicans also have Herb Jones and Trey Murphy. Two wing guys that plays D. So where would Trent fit?

If i'm picking 6-10 in the draft, i'm picking a guy who has a chance to be an all star. Worst case scenario a starter. There are some interesting names who are projected to go 6-10 this year like Mathurin, Griffin, Davis. Who'd you rather have? one of those guys or Trent? be honest.
                              You lost when you say Trent doesn't play defense. Lol
                              Gary averaged 2 steals per game this season and is one of the league's peskiest defenders. His defense is still developing overall as well as his offensive game.
                              Last edited by Kagemusha; Fri May 20, 2022, 11:14 AM.

Comment

You lost when you say Trent doesn't play defense. Lol
                                He doesn't. The Sixers were hunting him the whole series. You're probably going to argue how he's one of the league leaders in steals(I know already). Just because he's one of the league leaders in steals doesn't mean he's a good defender.

Lol.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X