Everything 2022 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I really like Jaylin Williams a lot. I think the 33rd pick we should pick him or he is one of the guys on my list. I think we should not use the draft to solve the scoring issues. This guy can pass. He has offensive upside. Defensively intriguing I'm of the mind set you can't have enough playmaking and passing.
    Interesting prospect. For a number of reasons I can't see them drafting a big, primarily because we can't really afford to get younger at C. Raps want to start building a winner so my guess would be they look for a more experienced player in free agency to back up Precious and Khem.

If I'm wrong here and they do draft a big, he'd be competing with Khem for minutes and with the lack of any sort of offense Jaylin's not going to see the court. Lots of upside on defense though.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Interesting prospect. For a number of reasons I can't see them drafting a big, primarily because we can't really afford to get younger at C. Raps want to start building a winner so my guess would be they look for a more experienced player in free agency to back up Precious and Khem.

If I'm wrong here and they do draft a big, he'd be competing with Khem for minutes and with the lack of any sort of offense Jaylin's not going to see the court. Lots of upside on defense though.
      he seems versatile. but we can afford to have a third big who is developing potentially. I can also see us potentially shipping khem

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

he seems versatile. but we can afford to have a third big who is developing potentially. I can also see us potentially shipping khem
        Can we afford to develop a guy right now when we badly need bench help? OG missed 34 games, Fred 17 and wasn't right for the playoffs, Siakam 14, Trent 13 and Barnes 8 to round out the mostly starters. Some of that is to be expected through a long NBA season, but Raps have to do a better job of protecting the starters from more serious injuries down the line.

Sure there's other ways to get bench help, but the draft gives you a large pool of players to pick from. There's got to be some over looked senior from an obscure school that is NBA ready AND has potential to develop further.

If they ship Khem and replace him with Jaylin we might be screwed. Having a high IQ player at C is really important and for most young C's that comes only with time and experience.

I think the Raps being so young will wait a season or two before looking and project type players. They want to start winning at a high level sooner than later.

Comment

Can we afford to develop a guy right now when we badly need bench help? OG missed 34 games, Fred 17 and wasn't right for the playoffs, Siakam 14, Trent 13 and Barnes 8 to round out the mostly starters. Some of that is to be expected through a long NBA season, but Raps have to do a better job of protecting the starters from more serious injuries down the line.

Sure there's other ways to get bench help, but the draft gives you a large pool of players to pick from. There's got to be some over looked senior from an obscure school that is NBA ready AND has potential to develop further.

If they ship Khem and replace him with Jaylin we might be screwed. Having a high IQ player at C is really important and for most young C's that comes only with time and experience.

I think the Raps being so young will wait a season or two before looking and project type players. They want to start winning at a high level sooner than later.
          I would argue that yes we can ... he has NBA ready skills in my opinion to contribute and play two positions. the speed and smarts to switch 3 positions.

plus you would still have MLE and bi annual to grab the guard and forward depth potentially you need. Taurean prince if you want wing depth... gary harris, delon, or jones or others for guard depth.

Comment

• A few more names added to the list of players who've worked out, or interviewed with the Raps:

JD Notae
            Gabe Brown
            Marcus Bingham
            Trent Frazier

Other than JD Notae, I have no clue who these guys are. Notae is a 6-2 shoot first guard.

Looking at highlights Gabe Brown looks like an athletic wing.

Bingham looks interesting. 7 footer with a jumpshot. Looks athletic, but I know nothing about the kid. If he was brought in, you have to guess that the Raps have started to workout centers finally.

Trent Frazier looks like an undersized guard. I think all of these guys are seniors, except maybe Bingham.

There's probably a ton of guys the Raps have brought in that we're not hearing about at this point. I remember when they used to announce workouts. Now it's agent leaks and social media posts. But it looks like they're looking at: a ton of big athletic wings, some older guards and to a lesser extent, athletic 4/5s.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
              A few more names added to the list of players who've worked out, or interviewed with the Raps:

JD Notae
              Gabe Brown
              Marcus Bingham
              Trent Frazier

Other than JD Notae, I have no clue who these guys are. Notae is a 6-2 shoot first guard.

Looking at highlights Gabe Brown looks like an athletic wing.

Bingham looks interesting. 7 footer with a jumpshot. Looks athletic, but I know nothing about the kid. If he was brought in, you have to guess that the Raps have started to workout centers finally.

Trent Frazier looks like an undersized guard. I think all of these guys are seniors, except maybe Bingham.

There's probably a ton of guys the Raps have brought in that we're not hearing about at this point. I remember when they used to announce workouts. Now it's agent leaks and social media posts. But it looks like they're looking at: a ton of big athletic wings, some older guards and to a lesser extent, athletic 4/5s.
              I think they bring in players of all positions so they can run scrimmages right? So some of that could be working out guys they are interested in and some of it could be needing warm bodies to play against the guys they are interested in.

Comment

I think they bring in players of all positions so they can run scrimmages right? So some of that could be working out guys they are interested in and some of it could be needing warm bodies to play against the guys they are interested in.
                Would be a pretty hard sell to say to a player "we're not really interested in you but would you fly in so we could run a scrimmage with some of the guys we are...."

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Would be a pretty hard sell to say to a player "we're not really interested in you but would you fly in so we could run a scrimmage with some of the guys we are...."
                  I don't think that's how it brutally works..
                  at all.
                  lol

Comment

• The Raps love to scout for 905 adds during the draft too. Guys who may or may not even be drafted should be happy to globetrot if it might get them a G-League or summer deal somewhere.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Like Dan mentions they should be happy to have an opportunity to showcase themselves.. The pool of players looking for an opportunity far exceeds the number of draft picks out there. For most of these guys getting a call to show up for a scrimmage is as close the the NBA as they might get.

What did you think the whole "bet on yourself" mantra was about LOL?

Comment

• g__deane wrote: View Post

would be a pretty hard sell to say to a player "we're not really interested in you but would you fly in so we could run a scrimmage with some of the guys we are...."
                        lol

Comment

Just to switch perspective - have you ever agreed to a job interview, even though you weren't particularly interested in the role/company, because you wanted to gain some practice/remove some rust in preparation for the role/company that you WERE excited about?

Comment

Luckily what we need is a playable talent. Anything is better than the nothing we had for much of the season where Nurse chose not to use Banton, Flynn and the rest.
                            I don't know, I think Banton got his fair share of developmental run between the Raps and the 905. Nothing to sneeze at.

One should want a program that is too good for rookies to get major minutes, but still get incredible training and development. I think we've got that.

That's why I'd have absolutely no problem if we doubled down on upside here, we can find "playable talent" from a variety of sources to beef up the roster, including the young guys already on the roster (or perhaps coming back to it in the case of Jalen Harris).

Don't want to go full-Bruno, but a sneaky swing for the fences? Count me in.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

I don't know, I think Banton got his fair share of developmental run between the Raps and the 905. Nothing to sneeze at.

One should want a program that is too good for rookies to get major minutes, but still get incredible training and development. I think we've got that.

That's why I'd have absolutely no problem if we doubled down on upside here, we can find "playable talent" from a variety of sources to beef up the roster, including the young guys already on the roster (or perhaps coming back to it in the case of Jalen Harris).

Don't want to go full-Bruno, but a sneaky swing for the fences? Count me in.
                              *I've had a few beers so don't hold me to anything I say. Likely won't make much sense.
                              Feels like there was a weird situation which played out this season. They started with giving Banton, Svi, at some point Champagne and I'm probably missing someone else a bunch of minutes to start and rather abruptly for reasons that likely won't be officially explained they pivoted and wanted to win. Maybe it was part of the plan to dedicate the first month or so to see if they had any playable guys, maybe MLSE stepped in and said they needed fans to tune in, but they changed what they were doing. At that point the young guys got very few minutes until injuries forced the issue.

So with Banton, Flynn, Svi, Champagne and there's a bunch of young guys still that need minutes to develop. Do the Raps need a another guy that's a complete project? And Raps badly need some help off the bench still.

Comment

*I've had a few beers so don't hold me to anything I say. Likely won't make much sense.
                                Feels like there was a weird situation which played out this season. They started with giving Banton, Svi, at some point Champagne and I'm probably missing someone else a bunch of minutes to start and rather abruptly for reasons that likely won't be officially explained they pivoted and wanted to win. Maybe it was part of the plan to dedicate the first month or so to see if they had any playable guys, maybe MLSE stepped in and said they needed fans to tune in, but they changed what they were doing. At that point the young guys got very few minutes until injuries forced the issue.

So with Banton, Flynn, Svi, Champagne and there's a bunch of young guys still that need minutes to develop. Do the Raps need a another guy that's a complete project? And Raps badly need some help off the bench still.
                                You aren't wrong by noticing that.

But Svi didn't pan out and I don't think they want him on the roster. Champagne may be a longer term play at a spot that has depth. He will get minutes as a two way.. but I would understand if they signed him to a minimum contract..

Flynn I think they have internally moved off if there is a consolidation trade to trade flynn and Svi they likely do it at the draft. Banton will get minutes this year he started out getting minutes last year but I think its too early.

Jaylin Williams wouldn't be a complete project that was my point from before. Leonard Miller is a complete project where you are looking at needing potentially two years before the guy plays. There are guys available. Keep in mind you are comparing the 33rd pick to guys drafted in the late forties.. Svi included ... 33rd pick is more likely to be someone who drops from the first round you have a chance to get a prospect that is closer to a blue chiper .. .someone who needs development but who may have a few things to work on. With Jay its not his size that's fine. It seems like he needs ab it of shooting refinement bu overall he has good positioning good playmaking.... and enough skills that seem to transfer over to the next level.

Summer league will be telling...

Comment

Working...
                                X