Everything 2022 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    OK so, adding to my list of interesting guys, with a few guys who we'd be hoping to slip from the late 1st, ranked by my interest level, though any of them would be cool.

Christian Koloko (7'0" C, thin and needs to add strength but great rim protector and rebounder already, great touch around the rim, no range right now but his FT% is promising on that front, pretty decent passer, can defend man to man out on the perimeter with good footspeed - another guy who started basketball late like Pascal - upside swing here)
    EJ Liddell (6'7" forward, plays as a big, but can shoot, big and strong and surprisingly athletic, decent playmaking, decent defence, very well rounded)
    Dalen Terry (big PG - good shooting, good defensive metrics)
    Wendell Moore (6'6" wing, great creator/passer, can shoot, decent defensively though not great, kind of Scottie Barnes lite with more of an offensive slant)
    Jalen Williams (6'6" playmaking wing, smaller and with an established shot, maybe a little less known for the defensive end)
    Ishmael Kamagate (6'11" big, high upside swing, athletic big with developing skillset across the board, very raw, would be a long term bet, I've seen comparisons to Pascal's scouting report coming out of his draft year, though their playing background is different with Kamagate playing overseas)

...drop off in interest here...

Keon Ellis (3+D SG, good shooter, high steal rate, not as much for playmaking or volume scoring)
    David Roddy (6'6" forward, heavy and strong, decently mobile, 6'10" wingspan, great volume scorer and shooter in college, solid rebounder and playmaker, active defensively - 2.5 stocks per 36, height/mobility combo a bit of a drawback but decently athletic)
    Walker Kessler (7' C, known for smart defence and quick feet, not quite a switch onto the perimeter guy, Poeltl type, long ways to go in terms of jumper, but Raps love to make that bet)
    Jake LaRavia (big wing, less athletic than our usual pick, but good impact numbers on both ends, all around contributor and can shoot)
    I'm becoming more and more of a Dalen Terry fan. He's now #1 on my list. Watching his highlights he looks like Andre Iguodala out there. I'm not sure if hes going to be there at 33 though.

Players I'd like to see the Raps target:

1. Dalen Terry
    2. Max Christie
    3. Braun
    4. McGowens
    5. Moore
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Back to the draft, I still think it's incredible the big-man talent that will be sitting there for the taking in the second round in a lacklustre draft. Sign O' The Times. But you still need that athletic size - at least as an option - to make the deepest of playoff runs.

If anyone can manufacture a Robert Williams in the second round in the modern era, it's our front office team. Trust and Faith.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Koloko is also from the same village as pascal.

In the big man world I like Koloko or getting a guy like Jaylin Williams for a different skill set.

Ishmael... he looks extremely raw and when I say raw it isn't just his skill set... he would need a good solid 3 years to learn the game in the g league... I don't think we should be taking any talent that requires that much patience.
        Ishmael has been a 20+ mpg pro for 4 years and he's 21 years old. How is he raw?

I haven't watched any games but his stats don't look like a raw player to me. What are you calling him raw based on?

Comment

Hard feelings or not, once he signed that contract he was trade bait. Was pretty clear at the time, as there was little long term benefit to the team with that deal.
          Which is a shame because Norm signed for 5 years, through his prime, including a team option at lower AAV than GTJ. Depending on what happens with Gary, we might have lost that trade deadline deal. Powell is also an overall more consistent player.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Ishmael has been a 20+ mpg pro for 4 years and he's 21 years old. How is he raw?

I haven't watched any games but his stats don't look like a raw player to me. What are you calling him raw based on?
            I've only seen limited footage as well, but based on scouting videos and discussions from draftniks I've seen it sounds like he's been putting together some skills in terms of playmaking, creation, shotmaking, very gradually over the years and some guys think he's got a significant upside in development there. He's also been making steady progress as a defender, as he's not quite the defender yet that his physical tools suggest he could be, but if his development continues over time he could be very good. A lot of commentary I've seen suggests that the way he's been used by his teams in somewhat limited minutes overseas is in a smaller role than would allow him to stretch those tools, so they think he has a leap in him if given more rein, and a game that fits better in the NBA than in the European leagues, but that's all guesswork. It's just the prevailing thought I've seen from a few scout types.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Hard feelings or not, once he signed that contract he was trade bait. Was pretty clear at the time, as there was little long term benefit to the team with that deal.
              That's a shame if true, but hopefully we get something of long term value for Trent if he's being traded. Otherwise we really didn't get much more than a rental for Norm.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Which is a shame because Norm signed for 5 years, through his prime, including a team option at lower AAV than GTJ. Depending on what happens with Gary, we might have lost that trade deadline deal. Powell is also an overall more consistent player.
                They were never going to sign Norm to that, so the trade is a win no matter what compared to letting him walk for nothing. Heck, I would expect Gary to be worth more in a trade even on this contract than Norm would have been on that one. The whole reason why they will hesitate to sign Gary to a high money deal is he is a 6th man on a contender and Norm has the same affliction, but at least in a trade of Gary you can sell his upside.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

when you watch you will see...

So one thing that is telling is he rarely dribbles ... I mean not even once or twice... like think rudy gobert level in terms of dribbling. Not in terms of ability but in terms of the frequency you see it. That to me tells me he lacks that ability. You don't see him positioning him self super well defensively. Offensively its basically only dunks and put backs.

If he and Koloko are available and that is the direction they want ot go into I'd pick koloko. Has shown much more ability than the other guy has..

Heck Kai Sotto has been pro for a bit but he also looks pretty raw. So yeah you can be raw in terms of ability to produce on a court.
                  Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Fri Jun 10, 2022, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

That's a shame if true, but hopefully we get something of long term value for Trent if he's being traded. Otherwise we really didn't get much more than a rental for Norm.
                    Otherwise we didn't get much more than a rental for a guy who was a couple months from unrestricted free agency? Shocking.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Otherwise we didn't get much more than a rental for a guy who was a couple months from unrestricted free agency? Shocking.
                      I was disappointed that we didn't get at least a protected future FRP from trading Norm. That was actually the minimum expectation. Lowry (who was already out the door) got us a longer term, cost-controlled young asset in Precious, with upside. We got youth & upside with Gary (T-Rex will disagree, lol), but we didn't really get any long term cost control.

Comment

Are we trying to pretend that the Player Empowerment movement never happened? This isn't the 1960's... c'mon. Gary coming off the bench in a contract year, after being a starter for a full year is a major demotion and a significant hit to his market value. If the Raps DO get Gary to come off the bench, it won't be through dictatorship and Gary obediently and silently complying. It will require buy-in and major finessing between Masai/Bobby/Nurse with and Gary & Klutch.

And even if Gary does agree to come off the bench... be prepared for a Jake Fischer article with whispers that he's unhappy, wants a trade and that the Raptors will lose him for nothing in the off-season as a UFA.... to a team where he can start. That's how things work these days, if y'all haven't been paying attention.
                        Sucks but true.
                        Thankfully Serge didn't sulk too much when Gasol started and he went to the bench and got a chip for his trouble. GTJr would still get plenty of minutes off the bench, be the clear first option there and likely a whack of starter minutes anyway due to match ups, ineffectiveness and injuries. The bigger challenge is to get FVV to defer to Scotty and play off-ball

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Sucks but true.
                          Thankfully Serge didn't sulk too much when Gasol started and he went to the bench and got a chip for his trouble. GTJr would still get plenty of minutes off the bench, be the clear first option there and likely a whack of starter minutes anyway due to match ups, ineffectiveness and injuries. The bigger challenge is to get FVV to defer to Scotty and play off-ball
                          GTJ would literally get 30 minutes off the bench its just the lines ups would be slightly different. With FVV the argument is a lot easier because you basically say hey you get the same amount of shots its just we are giving you easier looks.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

GTJ would literally get 30 minutes off the bench its just the lines ups would be slightly different. With FVV the argument is a lot easier because you basically say hey you get the same amount of shots its just we are giving you easier looks.
                            Maybe but with Fred, it's more ego.
                            "I'm an all star PG, the heir to the GROAT, why would I move? The rook can earn his place over another year or two"

Comment

I was disappointed that we didn't get at least a protected future FRP from trading Norm. That was actually the minimum expectation. Lowry (who was already out the door) got us a longer term, cost-controlled young asset in Precious, with upside. We got youth & upside with Gary (T-Rex will disagree, lol), but we didn't really get any long term cost control.
                              Well, how valuable is a protected future 1st? Reports were we had at least a few offers on the table, I'd bet we could have gotten a late 1st. They are clearly betting they will get better value than that for Gary if they trade him. And if they don't trade him they maybe just want to keep him, as much as I personally think that's not plan A, in which case they clearly thought having the talent was higher priority than having it cheap.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Sucks but true.
                                Is it? Fred's usage and assist rates were pretty low for basically the entire season after Pascal's return and ramp up to his usual performance. He made the all star team based heavily on his high usage the first couple months of the season. After that he was off the ball more and more as the season went on, even before the injuries started piling up.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X