No announcement yet.

Game Twenty One (Blackjack!) Boston at Raptors Sunday November 28th 6pm on SN1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set aside for now how atrocious Nick Nurse defense against corner threes and 0-3 feet area related to their over helping…but their offense to me has been a disappointment as well. A lot ISOs, less cutters and very rare PnR/ PnP seem to be their issues as well.

For them to only average 21 Assists per game is very concerning.

As some posters had already pointed out…I just hope that OG/GTJ and Scottie don’t develop bad habits during their growth.

Comment

• I think they did pretty well considering the injuries, I mean we had 40 points out of the game... .
      Those saying we've list home court, it wasn't Tampa, etc, what a bunch of garbage this early with so many key injuries.

The crowd was so lame, I thought the game was in Boston for a minute until I paid more attention. What's up with that?

Comment

• They missed Trent's scoring on this one, go held below 100. Maybe just my eye but Siakam's shooting form from 3 looks different

Comment

• DRTG was below 120 yesterday (115) .... baby steps

Comment

• The blown 3-1 where Yuta missed a gimmie and then Boston scored on the other end was the dagger. As soon as that happened, I knew it was going to be over. Jayson Tatum sucked, but they still found a way to win.. and it ended in a blow out as well. What are we 2-9 with Siakam back or something?

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
              pay attention to the spacing even watch magic video there is no difference to todays nba. u can create space to work not everything is croas over cross over dribble
              back in the day it was artificial spacing because of illegal defense rule and zone defense was not allowed. Zone defense was made legal in 2001. We cant employ offense from different rules era.

Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                DRTG was below 120 yesterday (115) .... baby steps
                Defense wasn't bad, some mistakes, but not bad. Offense wasn't good though.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  The blown 3-1 where Yuta missed a gimmie and then Boston scored on the other end was the dagger. As soon as that happened, I knew it was going to be over. Jayson Tatum sucked, but they still found a way to win.. and it ended in a blow out as well. What are we 2-9 with Siakam back or something?
                  Most of which games co-incide with OG and Birch being out, don't read more into it than there is.

Comment

• h
                    planetmars wrote: View Post
                    The blown 3-1 where Yuta missed a gimmie and then Boston scored on the other end was the dagger. As soon as that happened, I knew it was going to be over. Jayson Tatum sucked, but they still found a way to win.. and it ended in a blow out as well. What are we 2-9 with Siakam back or something?
                    No, the turning point was scoring 6 points in ~5 minutes when it went from 84-83 to 100-89 (~9:30 - ~4:30 minute mark of the 4th quarter). During that stretch, the defense completely fell apart. Also, it became a battle of the stars and Tatum was excellent while Siakam struggled. During that stretch, Tatum had 4 assists (and a miss that led to a Kanter tip), 3 rebounds and 4 points. Siakam had 4 points and couple of rebounds but no assists and forced a couple tough shots that led to empty possessions. Ball game over.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that this is why looking at the box score and saying 'Tatum sucked' or the "Raps held Tatum in check' is misleading. When it mattered, Tatum dominated the game, the Raps couldn't contain him at all, and got his team the win.
                    Last edited by slaw; Mon Nov 29, 2021, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      h

No, the turning point was scoring 6 points in ~5 minutes when it went from 84-83 to 100-89 (~9:30 - ~4:30 minute mark of the 4th quarter). During that stretch, the defense completely fell apart. Also, it became a battle of the stars and Tatum was excellent while Siakam struggled. During that stretch, Tatum had 4 assists (and a miss that led to a Kanter tip), 3 rebounds and 4 points. Siakam had 4 points and couple of rebounds but no assists and forced a couple tough shots that led to empty possessions. Ball game over.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that this is why looking at the box score and saying 'Tatum sucked' or the "Raps held Tatum in check' is misleading. When it mattered, Tatum dominated the game, the Raps couldn't contain him at all, and got his team the win.
                      It was 87-83 when Pascal was subbed out for Scottie. The Raptors were down 10 when when Pascal subbed in for Champagne. So how is that on Siakam?

When Siakam came back he got a but pack to go in. Kanter got his. Pascal then missed one, and Smart hit the dagger 3 to go up 13. At that point it was over.. but it was over before Pascal came back in.

Tatum was 2-16. He had his 10 assists.. I guess that was good. Just means his team stepped up. Pascal's didn't, but still ended up with 5 assists.

Comment

It was 87-83 when Pascal was subbed out for Scottie. The Raptors were down 10 when when Pascal subbed in for Champagne. So how is that on Siakam?

When Siakam came back he got a but pack to go in. Kanter got his. Pascal then missed one, and Smart hit the dagger 3 to go up 13. At that point it was over.. but it was over before Pascal came back in.

Tatum was 2-16. He had his 10 assists.. I guess that was good. Just means his team stepped up. Pascal's didn't, but still ended up with 5 assists.

Yeah, it was the bench look WITHOUT Pascal that cost us the game.

All in all, we were just not deep enough with so many injuries. Couldn't stay afloat while Pascal or FVV (never mind both) rested. No OG, no Trent, no Birch, and not even full time Yuta? Was always going to be a tough night. Thought they did well to stay in it so long. I mean, when you are playing Bonga (who was real bad outside of that one block) and Champagnie significant minutes, you are going to have a real hard time winning.

They really needed to just play the very core guys almost the entire 4th if they wanted a chance, which would have been irresponsible, guys were already lined up for 35-40 as it was. Such is life when that shorthanded.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

back in the day it was artificial spacing because of illegal defense rule and zone defense was not allowed. Zone defense was made legal in 2001. We cant employ offense from different rules era.

not saying run the triangle even tho i like it and i do think it still works it todays nba the concepts are solid.

the problem is not the zone the problem is no one is trained to play with their back to the basket. go back and watch everyone including guards knew how to play with their back to the basket. and i am not talking about just scoring passing as well.

also screen setting and using screens horrible. look at the gsw. and juat watch how and where they set screens. its the little things that gets players open.

our offense sucks cause everyone stands around u have to treating the basket at all times. you do that by setting clean off ball screens cuts.

5 out penetrate kick out swing swing shot works just fine till your guards cant penetrate now u got 4 out of 5 people standing around

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post

not saying run the triangle even tho i like it and i do think it still works it todays nba the concepts are solid.

the problem is not the zone the problem is no one is trained to play with their back to the basket. go back and watch everyone including guards knew how to play with their back to the basket. and i am not talking about just scoring passing as well.

also screen setting and using screens horrible. look at the gsw. and juat watch how and where they set screens. its the little things that gets players open.

our offense sucks cause everyone stands around u have to treating the basket at all times. you do that by setting clean off ball screens cuts.

5 out penetrate kick out swing swing shot works just fine till your guards cant penetrate now u got 4 out of 5 people standing around
                            Post up are not efficient form of offense. If you are elite go ahead but if not then it's bad offense.

We already know how to play in modern era. Pick and Roll and 3 point shooters. That's what they need.
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

My point was less about Pascal in particular and more about that stretch being the determining part of the game. Obviously, he can't be blamed for the initial run Boston went on when he was subbed out. Maybe it's more accurate to say the game was decided in that ~1:00 stretch where Boston got the lead to 10.

Some of that is down to the thin bench as Dan notes but Banton and Boucher (one early favorite of Nurse and one regular from last season) were both nailed to the bench, so that's a coaching call, too.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

My point was less about Pascal in particular and more about that stretch being the determining part of the game. Obviously, he can't be blamed for the initial run Boston went on when he was subbed out. Maybe it's more accurate to say the game was decided in that ~1:00 stretch where Boston got the lead to 10.

Some of that is down to the thin bench as Dan notes but Banton and Boucher (one early favorite of Nurse and one regular from last season) were both nailed to the bench, so that's a coaching call, too.
                                I accept that.. and my comment was tongue in cheek when I mentioned the blown 3-1.. but that to me gave that dread feeling I've felt for most of this season. They had a great defensive stop, and was going on a 3-1 break. Blew it. Boston scored easily on the other end.. and at that point there was no looking back. It was basically over.

Our depth is terrible.. and if you can't finish a 3-1 in the NBA, you don't really have a shot do you?

Comment

Working...
                                X