No announcement yet.

Game Twenty One (Blackjack!) Boston at Raptors Sunday November 28th 6pm on SN1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would say Scottie’s strength right now is playing in the post. He has a nice turn around jumper, the hook, running hook and the drop step. It’s honestly amazing to watch him operate down low. Even if he misses on those attempts he seems to have a knack for following his shot, and can get a bunch of put backs.

Corner 3’s and shots within 6ft of the net are the most efficient shot in basketball. I’m happy to see Scottie take as many post touches as he wants.

Until he can hit 3’s reliably he’s less effective in the pick and roll. To be clear, not that he can’t do it… it’s just less effective

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
      I would say Scottie’s strength right now is playing in the post. He has a nice turn around jumper, the hook, running hook and the drop step. It’s honestly amazing to watch him operate down low. Even if he misses on those attempts he seems to have a knack for following his shot, and can get a bunch of put backs.

Corner 3’s and shots within 6ft of the net are the most efficient shot in basketball. I’m happy to see Scottie take as many post touches as he wants.

Until he can hit 3’s reliably he’s less effective in the pick and roll. To be clear, not that he can’t do it… it’s just less effective
      Its fine for him now, but if he wants to become the star player, which many of us hope he does, posting up can't be the primary source of offense.

Comment

• No, he needs all three levels to a super star
        Last edited by saints91; Mon Nov 29, 2021, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

You didn't say why they are efficient. No stats.just eye test. What are you basing this on? You just look at 90s and how game was played. We are telling it's not viable in today's game. And it's been proven.

Nobody backed up for 5 sec? That's why it's literally called Barkley and Mark Jackson rule?

​​​​​​
          I don’t think I’ve seen the 5 second rule called. I mean, OGs post ups are taking at least 5 seconds, no? Lol.

Comment

• His 3 looks okay, he just needs to keep taking them. He hasn’t really had a wild miss or brick.

Comment

• Last season, the excuse was COVID, HS&P and not playing in front of the fans

Now this season, is the age excuse.

Th Bulls, Cleveland, Sixers, Knicks, Charlotte and Wizards are right there with the Raptors. Even Minnesota are competing.

Nick Nurse has regressed as a Coach both offensively and defensively

VanVleet is playing for self accolades, hence the volume.

Siakam right now being full speed may just have reached his ceiling

while Scottie/ OG and GTJ are exceeding expectations - so all good for me.
              Team Average Age
              Los Angeles Lakers 30.9
              Miami Heat 28.8
              Milwaukee Bucks 27.9
              Utah Jazz 27.9
              Brooklyn Nets 27.8
              Golden State Warriors 27.8
              Phoenix Suns 27.6
              LA Clippers 27.5
              Portland Trail Blazers 26.6
              Dallas Mavericks 26.5
              Indiana Pacers 26.5
              Denver Nuggets 26.5
              Atlanta Hawks 26.4
              LEAGUE AVERAGE 26.2
              New York Knicks 26.1
              Philadelphia 76ers 25.9
              Boston Celtics 25.8
              Toronto Raptors 25.6
              Sacramento Kings 25.5
              Washington Wizards 25.4
              San Antonio Spurs 25.3
              Chicago Bulls 25.1
              Detroit Pistons 25.1
              New Orleans Pelicans 25.1
              Cleveland Cavaliers 25.0
              Houston Rockets 25.0
              Minnesota Timberwolves 24.9
              Charlotte Hornets 24.8
              Orlando Magic 24.7
              Memphis Grizzlies 24.0
              Last edited by The Claw Reborn; Mon Nov 29, 2021, 11:21 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I don’t think I’ve seen the 5 second rule called. I mean, OGs post ups are taking at least 5 seconds, no? Lol.
                If you catch and hold the ball it doesn't start the count only when you start dribbling. So he's not backing guys down for 5 seconds. It does get called, not often obviously because players don't post up anymore.
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Its fine for him now, but if he wants to become the star player, which many of us hope he does, posting up can't be the primary source of offense.
                  As we've seen with Pascal unfortunately.

Comment

I am baffled with this statement.

The Roll Guy is not rolling away from the basket and is not shooting a three as a result of a PnR

Scottie is actually the best specimen and recipient in a successful PnR especially how comfortable he is with the 15 footer or close to the basket Jumpshot.

The problem is that Van Vleet just sucked in doing a textbook PnR at this stage of his career.

He cannot even accurately do a pinpoint lob/ Alley oop to the deep roll guy

Pick and Roll

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

As we've seen with Pascal unfortunately.
                      Pascal is best as a secondary star as we've seen him be with Kawhi. Occasional post ups, lots of cuts and spot up shots.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

I am baffled with this statement.

The Roll Guy is not rolling away from the basket and is not shooting a three as a result of a PnR

Scottie is actually the best specimen and recipient in a successful PnR especially how comfortable he is with the 15 footer or close to the basket Jumpshot.

The problem is that Van Vleet just sucked in doing a textbook PnR at this stage of his career.

He cannot even accurately do a pinpoint lob/ Alley oop to the deep roll guy

Pick and Roll
                        The threat of the Pick and Pop or Roll helps makes each action more effective. If they know you are going to go to the basket each time, they’ll just play to that.

Also you want him initiating the pick and roll in sets as well.

Comment

The threat of the Pick and Pop or Roll helps makes each action more effective. If they know you are going to go to the basket each time, they’ll just play to that.

Exactly when we say pick and roll we don't necessarily mean that ball handler passes to roll man every single time. Pick and Roll attracts attention. When big rolls hard he attracts help defense and makes defense shift. That's why passing out of it is important for a big and ball handler.

But that happens only when you a threat to shoot.

If defense goes under the screen plus it's drop coverage. You have to punish them. Scottie can't do that yet.
                          Last edited by MixxAOR; Mon Nov 29, 2021, 11:47 PM.

Comment

But your initial premise is that he is less effective if he cannot reliably shoot the three, no?

He is a good enough passer with high level court awareness to be the screen guy who can pass to the corner three point shooters. It is quiet odd that a pick and roll play is to achieve space to shoot the three. Most of the time a PnR is to get closer to the basket or have the roll guy pass to cutters or set shooters.

He is quiet mobile to roll closer to the basket and as I said is more accurate to make that short J.

A-Set Pick and Roll

The pick and roll can also be executed out of the a-set. This is where there are two screeners at the top and the ball handler chooses which direction to go.

You have different options for which screener rolls to the basket.
                            • You can have the ballside screener always roll to the basket.
                            • You can have the opposite side always roll to the basket.
                            • You can also have a designated roller. No matter what side the ball handler goes to, the same player always rolls to the basket.
                            and I don’t believe a single shit of explanation from that guy who agreed to you …

Comment

His 3 looks okay, he just needs to keep taking them. He hasn’t really had a wild miss or brick.
                              He's got a nice stroke, but still lacks the confidence which will come if he shoots more.
                              One thing he needs to tighten up more is dribbling when near the post, especially when he's turning around. He tends to dribble the ball a bit far away from his body.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

But your initial premise is that he is less effective if he cannot reliably shoot the three, no?

He is a good enough passer with high level court awareness to be the screen guy who can pass to the corner three point shooters. It is quiet odd that a pick and roll play is to achieve space to shoot the three. Most of the time a PnR is to get closer to the basket or have the roll guy pass to cutters or set shooters.

He is quiet mobile to roll closer to the basket and as I said is more accurate to make that short J.

and I don’t believe a single shit of explanation from that guy who agreed to you …
                                Okay, can we agree Serg was a pretty damn good roll guy? One of his strengths was being able to roll to the basket or pop out to three point line. Scottie would be more effective if he had a reliable 3 because he could, roll to basket, roll and pass out to the three point line or roll and pop. Scottie has way better court vision and passing compared to Serg. So you are right on that point

The pick roll is all about creating a miss match because of a switch or opening up done space for the roll guy or the guy initiating the roll..

I was honestly thinking of Scottie initiating the pick in roll not being the roll guy in my original comment, but those are reasons for a roll guy to be versatile.

I reiterated (in my original post) “more effective” because I think he would be effective with his current skills.

Comment

Working...
                                X