The Defense in 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post

This is more about having an actual center and less about GT.

We are going to start OG/Fred/Pascal regardless. So then it comes down to 2 positions. I personally would rather have Achiuawa or Birch start, and move OG to the SG spot. I guess if you want Barnes to come off the bench that's an option too, but I like Barnes for his passing/playmaking.

I do think they need a C to start. I've been pretty clear on that, since even this past summer. That's why I wanted Holmes so much.

GT's game has definitely changed my opinion of his. He's definitely a keeper. But he can still come off the bench.

Pascal, OG, Barnes, GT and Fred all started for 3 games. Lost to Brooklyn, Boston, and Portland.
    No argument that this team is needing a Center but as I said and again will state that the person has to be a legitimate rim protector and rebounder who would outweigh whatever GTJ can bring to the team as a starter

Siakam vs. BKN (1st game back from a major shoulder surgery) - with OG, GTJ, Van Vleet

Siakam vs. BKN (2nd game back from a major shoulder surgery) - with OG, GTJ, Van Vleet

Siakam vs. Portland (5th game back from a major shoulder surgery) - with OG, GTJ, Van Vleet

Siakam vs. Utah (6th game back from a major shoulder surgery) - OG out

GTJ went down against Indiana with OG still out
    GTJ came back with OG still out.

What I am saying is that…hard to promote or demote a starter when the full roster has not been fully established yet.

Comment

The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

No argument that this team is needing a Center but as I said and again will state that the person has to be a legitimate rim protector and rebounder who would outweigh whatever GTJ can bring to the team as a starter

Siakam vs. BKN (1st game back from a major shoulder surgery) - with OG, GTJ, Van Vleet

Siakam vs. BKN (2nd game back from a major shoulder surgery) - with OG, GTJ, Van Vleet

Siakam vs. Portland (5th game back from a major shoulder surgery) - with OG, GTJ, Van Vleet

Siakam vs. Utah (6th game back from a major shoulder surgery) - OG out

GTJ went down against Indiana with OG still out
      GTJ came back with OG still out.

What I am saying is that…hard to promote or demote a starter when the full roster has not been fully established yet.

Precious is a rim protector.. just really bad on offense. I personally would rather have Precious or Khem be there with 4 other starters to start the game. We should not play small to start the game IMO. Unless you want to lose more games.

I'm sure Nurse will stick with the 5 guys like you want, and I'll be really hoping it works out. I'm not optimistic though.

Comment

Precious is a rim protector.. just really bad on offense. I personally would rather have Precious or Khem be there with 4 other starters to start the game. We should not play small to start the game IMO. Unless you want to lose more games.

I'm sure Nurse will stick with the 5 guys like you want, and I'll be really hoping it works out. I'm VERY optimistic though.
        fixed that for you

Comment

Jarrett Allen over his last 6 games:

23.2 PPG
          12.5 RPG
          1.8 BPG
          73.7% FG
          Dude is balling….this is the stud Center that this team is badly needing, rim protector and a very good rebounder who also can score points and wait for it….he is only 23 years old. Same timeline as the my core trio (OG/GTJ/Barnes)

He is the guy who I am so willingly demote GTJ to the 6th man role.

I am not sure if Masai or Bobby missed the boat for not exceeding what Cleveland had given up to acquire him. I think that was a three team trade between the Rockets and Nets.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired center Jarrett Allen and forward Taurean Prince from the Brooklyn Nets as part of a three-team trade that also includes the Houston Rockets, Cavaliers General Manager Koby Altman announced from Cleveland Clinic Courts. In exchange, Cleveland is sending guard Danté Exum and a 2022 unprotected first round draft pick via Milwaukee to Houston, and the lesser of Utah and Cleveland’s 2024 second round draft picks to Brooklyn. The Cavaliers have also acquired from Brooklyn the draft rights to Aleksandar Vezenkov, who was selected by the Nets with the 57th overall pick in the 2017 NBA Draft.

As part of the three-team trade, the Nets are receiving guard James Harden from the Rockets. In exchange, Houston is receiving forward Caris LeVert, forward Rodions Kurucs, three first round draft picks and the rights to swap four first round draft picks from Brooklyn.

Comment

I'm sure Nurse will stick with the 5 guys like you want, and I'll be really hoping it works out. I'm not optimistic though.
            I am less enthusiastic on Precious.
            I think this is the heir to the Joey Graham throne.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

Three consecutive games holding the opposition under 100… things are starting to come together.

Comment

GTJs defense against Beal was a total lockdown…

Dude’s contribution defensively as a starter against the opposing starter at his position is commendable.

On the flip side, Siakam is more than benefiting the less attention on defense by opposing teams because the threat offensively of GTJ will always be there.

Siakam has more freedom with his spins, pull ups and drives

Comment

While there is never a straight line progression, and it always goes in fits and starts, I wonder if last night was an indication of the Raptors starting to effectively put things together? I've been saying pretty much from the start that we won't know what kind of a team this is until we've played 40-42 games. I hadn't really considered the bonus of having guys spend time with the 905 and getting heavy minutes against better than college competition, but Banton and Champagnie are really starting to put in consistent performances when they play for the big team. And running the same sets and after time out plays etc. has to help their comfort level. Pascal has been back long enough for him to start feeling comfortable with the new guys.

I also think a healthy Yuta has had a big impact. Man, I love watching his footwork. A huge plus on D, turning guys away from their straight line drives, forcing them to eat up clock and then taking wild shots.

Comment

As frustrating as it is to watch him on offense, Precious has been a pretty good anchor on defense. I'm happy with his progress through the quarter point of the season.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                      As frustrating as it is to watch him on offense, Precious has been a pretty good anchor on defense. I'm happy with his progress through the quarter point of the season.
                      Drew Gooden (former NBA player and Wizards broadcaster) said he met Precious in the summer and estimates that he's only about 6'7. Couldn't believe he's playing center at that height.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        You definitely need an anchor to have an elite defense, and he's been providing that. OG is still our best defender. But I think Precious is our most important defender. If we can protect the rim, we don't have to over help. That's what lead us to Scottie Barnes last year.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Drew Gooden (former NBA player and Wizards broadcaster) said he met Precious in the summer and estimates that he's only about 6'7. Couldn't believe he's playing center at that height.
                          I heard him saying that during the WAS broadcast last night as well. Raps are really hoping Precious can be an Adebayo type of C for them.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Gooden measured in a 6'8.75 pre-draft. Precious at 6'7.5

So yeah, it is pretty impressive. But Gooden would probably have to play centre these days.

Comment

Same defensive garbage scheme from Nick Nurse….collapsing defense, overhelping and leaving the three point line. His true colors showed.

Champaigne the rookie was his lab rat against OKC. Another victim of his backward way of prioritizing to defend a TWO POINT driver over an open THREE POINTER. They do this kind of shit over and over again in practice and the rookie learned it the hard way against OKC, left his man to overhelp in the middle.

OKC is one of the worse three point shooting team but at one point in the third quarter, they average close to 50%.

Comment

The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                                Same defensive garbage scheme from Nick Nurse….collapsing defense, overhelping and leaving the three point line. His true colors showed.

Champaigne the rookie was his lab rat against OKC. Another victim of his backward way of prioritizing to defend a TWO POINT driver over an open THREE POINTER. They do this kind of shit over and over again in practice and the rookie learned it the hard way against OKC, left his man to overhelp in the middle.

OKC is one of the worse three point shooting team but at one point in the third quarter, they average close to 50%.
                                Something is broken in our defense, we always make the worst 3 point shooting teams look like 5 Larry Birds out there

Comment

Working...
                                X