Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this team need a trade to stay competitive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Why not have it all? PGs, centers with size, shooting.

To Mavs: Dragic, Boucher, Flynn
    To Raps: Trey Burke, Reggie Bullock, Moses Brown, Dwight Powell

Veteran insta-bench + a prospect center.
    let's be honest they have no reason to trade for dragic.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Many teams run an 8 man rotation? How is this any different. They have KD the best player in the NBA. The 8 they had are very good nba players. Like come on man, how many elite teams run more than a 9 player rotation?
      Well maybe 2 and 1/2 very good NBA players in KD, Patty Mills and the 1/2 goes to Blake Griffin ... the rest of the magnificent 8 are much deeper bench players.
      Agree rotations don't go much beyond 9 on most teams that are in the top tier of the NBA..
      but (and you know the but was coming),
      This was a midweek game, in December, and lets say the adrenaline is not as amped as a playoff game. You get tired.
      The top guys do need a sporadic rest every now and again when they're tired and subbing in a deep bench player for a minute sandwiched between a timeout and the end of a quarter gets you another 5 or 7 minutes of rest for the big horses... The Nets didn't have that.
      The raps couldn't exploit the Nets short bench by running more with more fresh guys because they couldn't get out in transition because they can't rebound the ball. Lots of easier second chance points save legs because you don't have to run full court on more possessions if you can rebound.

Its a big hole at the 5 right now. Its really hurting in the W-L column.
      Its going to continue to hurt... unless thats the plan.
      Panzers are begining to line up in formation.

There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Well maybe 2 and 1/2 very good NBA players in KD, Patty Mills and the 1/2 goes to Blake Griffin ... the rest of the magnificent 8 are much deeper bench players.
        Agree rotations don't go much beyond 9 on most teams that are in the top tier of the NBA..
        but (and you know the but was coming),
        This was a midweek game, in December, and lets say the adrenaline is not as amped as a playoff game. You get tired.
        The top guys do need a sporadic rest every now and again when they're tired and subbing in a deep bench player for a minute sandwiched between a timeout and the end of a quarter gets you another 5 or 7 minutes of rest for the big horses... The Nets didn't have that.
        The raps couldn't exploit the Nets short bench by running more with more fresh guys because they couldn't get out in transition because they can't rebound the ball. Lots of easier second chance points save legs because you don't have to run full court on more possessions if you can rebound.

Its a big hole at the 5 right now. Its really hurting in the W-L column.
        Its going to continue to hurt... unless thats the plan.
        Panzers are begining to line up in formation.
        It makes no sense to give up assets for a stop gap center to band aid the bleeding. Now, a 25 year old center that is a very good nba starter and can fit in to the next 5 years? If one if those is out there, then sure
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Why not have it all? PGs, centers with size, shooting.

To Mavs: Dragic, Boucher, Flynn
          To Raps: Trey Burke, Reggie Bullock, Moses Brown, Dwight Powell

Veteran insta-bench + a prospect center.
          Powell is 30 and looks like a weak rebounder from his stats? Burke is another 6 foot pg whose never been a good passer, makes less than a 3pt attempt a game and injury prone. Bullock another 30 yr old that doesn't really add anything this team needs. Brown is 3 years deep into his career and now playing for his 3rd team.

Just feels like we'd be giving up a couple of rotation players for end of bench guys. I'm sort of meh, on this trade.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

It makes no sense to give up assets for a stop gap center to band aid the bleeding. Now, a 25 year old center that is a very good nba starter and can fit in to the next 5 years? If one if those is out there, then sure
            It is a choice from the C-suite on this one.
            Cry poor and not bid on Myles Turner who is available but will cost something far beyond some beloved raptor bench players and out year 2nd round picks. Turner in the middle resets this years trajectory
            or
            The GM continues his exercise in circumlocution on "winning championships" and "never being a treadmill team" and determines the best course of action with this group is to hit the canvas like a tomato can in the new year and look to get a lottery pick in the single digits. This will of course necessitate a change in the winning championships narrative to a development year for the young core. Problem is you have now thrown away 2 years of said young cores (OG, Pascal, FVV ) careers. Tick Tock.

It is a choice and its Ujiris to make.
            He has some penance to do for the fan base for that really poor deal for Kyle to play in Miami. Great for Kyle. Not so great for Toronto.
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Dec 16, 2021, 04:18 PM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

It is a choice from the C-suite on this one.
              Cry poor and not bid on Myles Turner who is available but will cost something far beyond some beloved raptor bench players and out year 2nd round picks. Turner in the middle resets this years trajectory
              or
              The GM continues his exercise in circumlocution on "winning championships" and "never being a treadmill team" and determines the best course of action with this group is to hit the canvas like a tomato can in the new year and look to get a lottery pick in the single digits. This will of course necessitate a change in the winning championships narrative to a development year for the young core. Problem is you have now thrown away 2 years of said young cores (OG, Pascal, FVV ) careers. Tick Tock.

It is a choice and its Ujiris to make.
              He has some penance to do for the fan base for that really poor deal for Kyle to play in Miami. Great for Kyle. Not so great for Toronto.
              I believe something will have to be done soon to prepare for a championship run for the 2022-2223 season otherwise it will get difficult from there when it comes to filling up the roster due to salary constrains:

Summer of 2023 - GTJ will want a raise (PO), FVV will want a raise (PO) Barnes will probably get a rookie scale Max extension contract.
              Summer of 2024 - OG will want a raise(PO). Pascal (Free agent)

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Powell is 30 and looks like a weak rebounder from his stats? Burke is another 6 foot pg whose never been a good passer, makes less than a 3pt attempt a game and injury prone. Bullock another 30 yr old that doesn't really add anything this team needs. Brown is 3 years deep into his career and now playing for his 3rd team.

Just feels like we'd be giving up a couple of rotation players for end of bench guys. I'm sort of meh, on this trade.
                Right? This is just a trade for the sake of trading Dragic while we have him. I'm not giving all this up for a bunch of guys that have done Jack shit in the NBA. Rather just let Dragic expire. Dragic for Powell + Moses + filler fine, but tossing in Flynn and Boucher makes us lose this trade big time.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

I believe something will have to be done soon to prepare for a championship run for the 2022-2223 season otherwise it will get difficult from there when it comes to filling up the roster due to salary constrains:

Summer of 2023 - GTJ will want a raise (PO), FVV will want a raise (PO) Barnes will probably get a rookie scale Max extension contract.
                  Summer of 2024 - OG will want a raise(PO). Pascal (Free agent)
                  Barnes' rookie scale deal starts in 2021-22. Summer 2022 we'll need to decide on picking up his 3rd year option. Summer 2023 we'll need to decide on picking up his 4th year option. Summer 2024 we have the option to sign him to an extension, which will not kick in until the 2025-26 season. So no short term salary constraints from him.

Otherwise, yes, this core has the next two seasons as their window.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• As I stated before, If they ever do a trade…they need to acquire players of the same timeline with OG/GTJ and Scottie

Making a move just to get vets is pointless….Siakam ($33 million) and Van Vleet ($19.6 million) have the championship experience to help the young core.

But if they cannot, then they should be the main two trade pieces to acquire a Center and a less ball dominant pseudo point guard/ shooting guard.

Comment

• But here is a trade deadline consideration…

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y5xaogmd

Toronto received:
                      Tyrese Maxey - 21 years old (future PG who can defer to Scottie)/ main piece of the deal/ same timeline as OG/ GTJ and Scottie
                      Tristan Thompson - only paid this season
                      Harrison Barnes - this season and next for $20M per

Sixers received:
                      VanVleet
                      Bagley
                      Harkless
                      1st round FRP from Sacramento
                      future picks from Toronto

Sacramento received:
                      Simmons
                      Boucher
                      Flynn
                      Svi

———

Maxey
                      GTJ
                      OG
                      Scottie
                      Siakam

Last edited by The Claw Reborn; Thu Dec 16, 2021, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• ^^^

move that would allow Siakam to settle as a secondary option behind Scottie Barnes

if that does not pan out…

he is still a very movable asset in the offseason

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                          But here is a trade deadline consideration…

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y5xaogmd

Toronto received:
                          Tyrese Maxey - 21 years old (future PG who can defer to Scottie)/ main piece of the deal/ same timeline as OG/ GTJ and Scottie
                          Tristan Thompson - only paid this season
                          Harrison Barnes - this season and next for $20M per

Sixers received:
                          VanVleet
                          Bagley
                          Harkless
                          1st round FRP from Sacramento
                          future picks from Toronto

Sacramento received:
                          Simmons
                          Boucher
                          Flynn
                          Svi

———

Maxey
                          GTJ
                          OG
                          Scottie
                          Siakam

very decent move honestly. I would do FVV for some combination around NAW + Tomas

Comment

• Id like fred and siakam out and shai and dort in somehow. Multi team I guess coz i dont think okc does that. Then id do the dragic flynn bouch and precious for turner. Shai/trent/barnes/OG/turner with yuta, dort, delano, champegnie, birch bench. Maybe throw champegnie in so i dont have to try spelling his name anymore

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                              Id like fred and siakam out and shai and dort in somehow. Multi team I guess coz i dont think okc does that. Then id do the dragic flynn bouch and precious for turner. Shai/trent/barnes/OG/turner with yuta, dort, delano, champegnie, birch bench. Maybe throw champegnie in so i dont have to try spelling his name anymore
                              there is almost no way that happens but yes I wouldn't mind giving up fred and some how end up with shai ... heck i'd give up fred and trent.

Comment

• I can't help but feel like Freddy is seriously under appreciated around here by some. I need one of the stat gurus to breakdown how much better Shai is than FVV because when I look at the basic stats they both look pretty darn comparable with Fred having the edge in rebounds, assists, 3pt shooting and shooting efficiency. Shai is younger with room to grow which is obviously a big positive.

But the kicker to me is that Fred's on a really good contract at about $85M over 4 yrs. Shai will be making around $174M per over the next 5 seasons!

Comment

Working...
                                X