Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBSSports.com Matt Moore - Raptors Aren't Contenders for Eastern Conference Finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with him about his assessment on the Raptors. He actually praised the Raptors and put them as one the consistent teams in the East. He also kind of failed to mention that to be a contender takes playoff experience and that the Raps just made the playoffs last year and didn't advance in a tough first round series. This season is what will define the status of the Raptors if they are legit contenders. Masai upgraded the roster and filled up the weak points that were exposed in the BK series.

I disagree with him on the Grizzlies being a contender. He contradicted himself on how the Raptors didn't have a go to scorer so that doesn't make them a contender, when the Grizzlies already traded their go-to scorer in Rudy Gay that would have made them contenders imo. The Grizzlies have been consistently in the playoffs, which is good, esp in the tough west. But I don't think they can beat the Spurs, GS, and Dallas. They're like the Atlanta Hawks of the west.

Comment

I think if we really take an honest (ubiased) assessment of where we are it is in the upper echelon of the second tier

That being said we are a Derrick Rose, Kevin Love injury away from being in the ECF

Personally I would be happy with a second round that goes 7 games.

Also not that there are many targets but I do think we are one solid two way all star away from contention, and although I see none that I feel are obtainable, Masai could pull some crazy Warlord shit at the deadline if some star gets frustrated with his current situation.

In summation, we are well placed with assets to either evolve or trade our way into being the ECF or Finals conversation on a yearly basis
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Right now we're further ahead than we might have planned to be. We're winning games against teams were supposed to beat. That's growth. Beating the upper tier teams will come and we did it a ton last year (see winning record against the West). We have a lot of match up problems but those problems exist for most teams in the league.

Butler shut down Harden (Harden was 1-8). Side note: the difference between Harden and DD is harden realized he was in tough and took less shots, which I guess could be viewed as soft?

Anyway. This team is on track. Our ridonc record has atleast made the discussion of ECF plausible for the time being so it's a fun convo to have, but for most people I don't think it's serious. I hope we finish as the top team in the second tier of the EC. I think that along with a second round visit would be considered an outstanding success for this team.

Of course this could all change if Masai pulls a 'Ujiri'.

anyway I like where this team is at. Pretty awesome season so far, just gotta keep reminding myself to sit back and enjoy it once in a while because it's not very often that the Raptors are FIRST IN THE EAST BITCHESSSS!!!
        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
        Because its 2015

Comment

Then & Now

It will be tough this year for them to make it. They have talent and a tough home for visitors to play in but they don't have the experience(Bulls) or the superstar to overcome the lack of experience(Cavs). My money is on them getting knocked out in the second round. A Second round knockout is an astronomically huge step forward for this team if you consider they've only made the second round once and that team did have a superstar and did have crew loaded with experience, sharpshooters and tough guys.

This team wouldn't beat that team in seven games... Yet.

If Rose or James goes down all bets are off.

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
            Right now we're further ahead than we might have planned to be. We're winning games against teams were supposed to beat. That's growth. Beating the upper tier teams will come and we did it a ton last year (see winning record against the West). We have a lot of match up problems but those problems exist for most teams in the league.

Butler shut down Harden (Harden was 1-8). Side note: the difference between Harden and DD is harden realized he was in tough and took less shots, which I guess could be viewed as soft?

Anyway. This team is on track. Our ridonc record has atleast made the discussion of ECF plausible for the time being so it's a fun convo to have, but for most people I don't think it's serious. I hope we finish as the top team in the second tier of the EC. I think that along with a second round visit would be considered an outstanding success for this team.

Of course this could all change if Masai pulls a 'Ujiri'.

anyway I like where this team is at. Pretty awesome season so far, just gotta keep reminding myself to sit back and enjoy it once in a while because it's not very often that the Raptors are FIRST IN THE EAST BITCHESSSS!!!
            Obviously you meant Allen, not Butler. I've been seeing this statement made a few places, but weird thing is that Allen only played half the minutes that Harden played. Did anybody see the game, and know the story there?

Comment

chico wrote: View Post
              Obviously you meant Allen, not Butler. I've been seeing this statement made a few places, but weird thing is that Allen only played half the minutes that Harden played. Did anybody see the game, and know the story there?
              You're right. My bad, meant Allen. I didn't see it but from what I gather Allen and Courtney Lee shut him down. (From Sirius NBA channel)
              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
              Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                You're right. My bad, meant Allen. I didn't see it but from what I gather Allen and Courtney Lee shut him down. (From Sirius NBA channel)
                Lee involved too. Makes sense. thanks

Comment

I have trouble with such pronouncements cum crystal gazing by the pundit class. We have enuff of them right here on the RR There was nothing he said to describe the current Raptors which was inaccurate....BUT....then to project their place in the playoffs based off 10-11 games is pfffft. Is it an impossibility that the team just fine tunes itself along with good improvement by our 2 now-third year starting pros to be bonafide fighter for the EC finals? What if Masai pulls off another SAClike trade which ups the talent level even more? And what about the opposition? Chicago without Rose, Miami without Wade, Cleveland having meshing issues are all possibilities...no?

Then again, as it stands now without any change I'd be quite pleased with this team showing well in the second round....hoping of course that they cross over. That would be a fantastic achievement. It's a process.

Comment

Casey should play this to the team before the game
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                      I think JV can be unstoppable.

Nvm...Casey's here
                      Casey makes JV drop easy passes, dribble the ball when he should go up with it, or commit stupid fouls?

JV will never be unstoppable.

Comment

My thoughts are Matt Moore is an idiot. We're not FAVORITES to go to the conference finals but we are CONTENDERS. I'll even go as far as saying we're contenders for the NBA Finals.

Cleveland needs gel time and if we didn't get overconfident in the 3rd period against the bulls we would have easily beaten them.

Comment

All teams are contenders.

Some contend better than others, and then some contend the best.

Toronto, is closer to the former.

My fav team and all, but they seem to wilt, repeatedly when its for real. Sign of a young team, or a team that is getting a lot of potential out of mediocre talent top to bottom.

My gut is with the latter, and I can dig it.

Comment

I liked what he said about this team. No one is a contender 10 games into the season but, than again the point is to win games. So far were one of the top teams that does that best.

Really like how he described our team. A team that can adapt to any other team. A team that can win playing pretty much any style of basketball.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

The Raps really are an odd team this season. On one hand, it's frustrating that they lost any games, since the Miami game was winnable and the Chicago game was a poo-poo platter. On the other hand, some of the wins were about as ugly a performance as this franchise has had over the past 20 years.

Are we an underachieving good team?

Are we an overachieving treadmill team?

Are we a young team that is stumbling while trying to live up to its potential?

Are we a talented team that is poorly coached and wins/loses based on how hot our shooting is?

Are we a young team that is trying to find its identity?

To be honest, I have no idea. Any of the above? All of the above? It's so bizarre how a team with an 8-2 record can be so hard to evaluate, but I'm happy that they've been winning so consistently.

Comment

Agreed. I've said my peace on raptors.
                                "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                                My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Working...
                                X