Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBSSports.com Matt Moore - Raptors Aren't Contenders for Eastern Conference Finals

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of inconsistency from Rap fans.

    On one hand the response to a number of glaring issues so far is, "Hey, it's early!"

    But on the other hand the response to any question of the validity of circumstance or strength of schedule is, "hey, they are 9-2!"


    For a lot of fans the only thing they want to hear is Raps are awesome. Given the previous 20 years that is understandable I think.
    Well you can't stereotype Raps fans. There can't be consistency with Raps fans. We don't have one mind. A lot of fans on reddit were saying the same thing Moore was saying and giving Memphis credit. But the way he was saying is what got a lot of people pissed off.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

    Comment


    • #47
      mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      I'm seeing a lot of inconsistency from Rap fans.

      On one hand the response to a number of glaring issues so far is, "Hey, it's early!"

      But on the other hand the response to any question of the validity of circumstance or strength of schedule is, "hey, they are 9-2!"


      For a lot of fans the only thing they want to hear is Raps are awesome. Given the previous 20 years that is understandable I think.
      Inconsistency implies the same fans flip flopping. I bet the "9-2!" people aren't largely the same as the "It's early" people. But more to the point: the issue isn't that you can't question a teams record based on strength of schedule, but that's not what he did (initially).

      His initial argument was that the Raptors were bad because they didn't blow out ".75 Memphis" (as he called it).

      I'm sorry, but that's just not a good argument.

      In fact, it's especially ironic since Memphis doesn't blow many teams out almost ever. They win a ton of games by a few points, with a low number of bruising possessions. Does that make them a bad team because their margin of victory isn't higher? Not at all.

      He didn't start bringing up all the residual statistical arguments until after fans started berating him for his initial "Raps suck because they couldn't blow out a depleted team". I expect more from a professional writer for a statistically oriented website.

      Comment


      • #48
        themasao wrote: View Post
        Inconsistency implies the same fans flip flopping. I bet the "9-2!" people aren't largely the same as the "It's early" people. But more to the point: the issue isn't that you can't question a teams record based on strength of schedule, but that's not what he did (initially).

        His initial argument was that the Raptors were bad because they didn't blow out ".75 Memphis" (as he called it).

        I'm sorry, but that's just not a good argument.

        In fact, it's especially ironic since Memphis doesn't blow many teams out almost ever. They win a ton of games by a few points, with a low number of bruising possessions. Does that make them a bad team because their margin of victory isn't higher? Not at all.

        He didn't start bringing up all the residual statistical arguments until after fans started berating him for his initial "Raps suck because they couldn't blow out a depleted team". I expect more from a professional writer for a statistically oriented website.
        I disagree. Read through these forums. As for Matt Moore I have never been a fan of his delivery.

        Comment


        • #49
          There's also a big difference between dismissing that the Raptors have played well and realizing that it probably won't last.

          *I guess I should say gotten favourable results, not played well. We seem to be getting a lot of good bounces at the right time so far.
          Last edited by stooley; Thu Nov 20th, 2014, 08:26 PM.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

          -Superjudge, 7/23

          Hope you're wrong.

          Comment


          • #50
            BTW, who is Matt Moore and why should we care?

            Comment


            • #51
              themasao wrote: View Post
              Inconsistency implies the same fans flip flopping. I bet the "9-2!" people aren't largely the same as the "It's early" people. But more to the point: the issue isn't that you can't question a teams record based on strength of schedule, but that's not what he did (initially).

              His initial argument was that the Raptors were bad because they didn't blow out ".75 Memphis" (as he called it).

              I'm sorry, but that's just not a good argument.

              In fact, it's especially ironic since Memphis doesn't blow many teams out almost ever. They win a ton of games by a few points, with a low number of bruising possessions. Does that make them a bad team because their margin of victory isn't higher? Not at all.

              He didn't start bringing up all the residual statistical arguments until after fans started berating him for his initial "Raps suck because they couldn't blow out a depleted team". I expect more from a professional writer for a statistically oriented website.
              Classic attack mode when cannot provide evidence to counter valid questions---it happens all the time.

              Comment


              • #52
                golden wrote: View Post
                BTW, who is Matt Moore and why should we care?
                He sounds like Jason Goff....

                Comment


                • #53
                  golden wrote: View Post
                  BTW, who is Matt Moore and why should we care?
                  You know you've made it when people are hating.
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

                  -Superjudge, 7/23

                  Hope you're wrong.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    themasao wrote: View Post

                    He didn't start bringing up all the residual statistical arguments until after fans started berating him for his initial "Raps suck because they couldn't blow out a depleted team". I expect more from a professional writer for a statistically oriented website.
                    I know little about this Matt Moore guy, but my guess is that all he was trying to do is generate clicks and retweets and what not. What better way to do it than aggravate a passionate fan base of a team that is surprising many by being at the top of the conference? Sounds like bait to me, and many fans have taken it hook, line and sinker apparently. Not suggesting you have masao, just using your post as a jumping off point for my suspicion.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      we've been the best team in the east for 11 months now..
                      any american team does that and they get their credit

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Raptors "realness" or non-"realness" aside, this Matt Moore guy seems like a tantrum-throwing toddler.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          I know little about this Matt Moore guy, but my guess is that all he was trying to do is generate clicks and retweets and what not. What better way to do it than aggravate a passionate fan base of a team that is surprising many by being at the top of the conference? Sounds like bait to me, and many fans have taken it hook, line and sinker apparently. Not suggesting you have masao, just using your post as a jumping off point for my suspicion.
                          Oh I agree 100%. But as with all Journalists, the question is how low will you drop your standards to bait for clicks. Petty shouting matches with members of an ticked off fan base is pretttty low.

                          Matt Moore also works for CBSsports and I'm frankly surprised there's no quality control.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            KHD wrote: View Post
                            Raptors "realness" or non-"realness" aside, this Matt Moore guy seems like a tantrum-throwing toddler.
                            This. At the end of the day, this doesn't affect the Raps -- it does affect MM's reputation.

                            (as an aside, is he a Grizzlies fan? His profile pick would indicate so. Not sure if that makes things better or worse for him...)

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              My favourite part of the team is that they don't have that 'one guy'. In effect, they require a more team oriented style than the typical 'give it to lebron' or 'give it to durant' you see around the league.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                If we get top seed and avoid bulls or cavs we are

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X