The Raptors and the 2015 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    This would actually be a great idea - the one position we are kind of old at is PG - having a prospect in the pipeline, even if they sit like Bruno, is valuable.

PHX wouldn't do it though, I don't think.
    Don't think the cost for Ennis is worth it though. Plus hard to develop a PG from the bench. Better served to wait until some minutes open up and use our multiple 2016 picks to make something happen.

As a bonus reason, I think Ennis is over-rated. I don't think he's going to be that good.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Like I mentioned in the thread earlier, our puck will be late 20's, I think we should target need and more proven talent, so I am looking at juniors and seniors. I mentioned Kaminsky (had a monster game last night) and Marcus Paige out of UNC. Other guys that fit this criteria and may be available at our pick would be, Terran Petteway from Nebraska, 6'6" Junior wing from Nebraska, Delon Wright, 6'5" senior PG out of Utah, and Jerian Grant, 6'5" senior PG out of Notre Dame.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
        Its look like the Raptyors will be picking very late. They should dump the pick at the trade deadline with our expiring contracts maybe for Garnett.
        Barf.

DanH wrote: View Post
        At the moment is not my concern. The trick to sustained success is to have young players coming up as older guys drop off - and if Vasquez has to be let go in 2016 to use cap room, we definitely want a young backup point there.
        Maybe it's just some lingering hangover from the Coangelo era, because he loved trading draft picks, but I have zero interest in trading draft picks for an over the hill vet. This team has enough leadership and experience to get out of the first round.

WJF wrote: View Post
        Like I mentioned in the thread earlier, our puck will be late 20's, I think we should target need and more proven talent, so I am looking at juniors and seniors. I mentioned Kaminsky (had a monster game last night) and Marcus Paige out of UNC. Other guys that fit this criteria and may be available at our pick would be, Terran Petteway from Nebraska, 6'6" Junior wing from Nebraska, Delon Wright, 6'5" senior PG out of Utah, and Jerian Grant, 6'5" senior PG out of Notre Dame.
        I take the exact opposite view. If you are picking in the late first round, that's the perfect time to draft on potential. The odds of the player panning out are small, but if they do then you hopefully have a player who is hard to replace in free agency. here really isn't anything gained by going the "NBA ready" route, because, they don't have that great of a success rate either. Their ceiling is lower, so it's not like even if they pan out you are getting a player that is difficult to replace.

Take two players
        A) Is a relative unknown, freak body & athelticism (a Biyombo/Antentankunpo/Cabloco/Larry Saunders/Ibaka) kind of player
        B) Is a really well known NCAA player with good all-around skills and athleticism: but tops out as a fringe starter, in the NBA

You can replace a "B" type player pretty easily. But an A player who then develops is VERY difficult to get your hands on. Use draft picks to get the highest level talent you can get. IMO.
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
          Barf.

Maybe it's just some lingering hangover from the Coangelo era, because he loved trading draft picks, but I have zero interest in trading draft picks for an over the hill vet. This team has enough leadership and experience to get out of the first round.

I take the exact opposite view. If you are picking in the late first round, that's the perfect time to draft on potential. The odds of the player panning out are small, but if they do then you hopefully have a player who is hard to replace in free agency. here really isn't anything gained by going the "NBA ready" route, because, they don't have that great of a success rate either. Their ceiling is lower, so it's not like even if they pan out you are getting a player that is difficult to replace.

Take two players
          A) Is a relative unknown, freak body & athelticism (a Biyombo/Antentankunpo/Cabloco/Larry Saunders/Ibaka) kind of player
          B) Is a really well known NCAA player with good all-around skills and athleticism: but tops out as a fringe starter, in the NBA

You can replace a "B" type player pretty easily. But an A player who then develops is VERY difficult to get your hands on. Use draft picks to get the highest level talent you can get. IMO.
          We are talking about picking at spot 26-30, which player that you mentioned with all that upside was picked that late in the draft?

Vasquez was the 28th pick as a senior, Jimmy Butler went 30th, George Hill 26th, and Miles Plumlee also went 26th, these are the types of players I am looking at.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I could see a scenario where we trade the 2015 and two 2016 1sts to find a player who puts us over the top.

I can't see adding another rookie to what presumably will be a developing Bruno/Bebe and Daniels next season.
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
              We are talking about picking at spot 26-30, which player that you mentioned with all that upside was picked that late in the draft?

Vasquez was the 28th pick as a senior, Jimmy Butler went 30th, George Hill 26th, and Miles Plumlee also went 26th, these are the types of players I am looking at.
              Capela was picked 25th in 2014
              Rudy Gobert was picked 27th in 2013
              Tony Wroten 25th and Perry Jones III 28th in 2012.

Then you have all the second round guys. If there is a guy that fits the bill, I believe Masai/Weltman/Tolzman will find him.

But you're right, those type of guys don't usually make it that far in the draft and are few and far between. Much easier said than done.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                I could see a scenario where we trade the 2015 and two 2016 1sts to find a player who puts us over the top.

I can't see adding another rookie to what presumably will be a developing Bruno/Bebe and Daniels next season.
                I most certainly hope not.

2015 and the worse 2016 pick, sure.

But even if a lottery ticket only has a 15% chance of winning, those are great odds and you don't let it go.

When looking at state of those two franchises (nuggets and knicks), I get giddy.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post

We couldn't actually do that. Toronto would need to keep at least one of those three picks, as you can't go two consecutive future years without a first round selection.

Could trade any two of them, but not all three.

I agree with mcHAPPY though, if a 2016 pick is included I hope that it is the lesser of the two. The Denver/NY pick could be a really solid selection based on both team's current trajectories.
                  http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    I most certainly hope not.

2015 and the worse 2016 pick, sure.

But even if a lottery ticket only has a 15% chance of winning, those are great odds and you don't let it go.

When looking at state of those two franchises (nuggets and knicks), I get giddy.
                    Damn, I totally forgot about the Denver / NY pick we have. Any protections?

Comment

Let's hope Masai is already going all out on scouting for a late-first/second-round gem.
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                        We get the worse of the two between NY and Denver. No protections outside of getting the lesser pick.

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
                          We get the worse of the two between NY and Denver. No protections outside of getting the lesser pick.
                          The Knicks roster is still a mess and I don't see them fixing that next year either. Denver is is in a pickle, loads of talent but don't seem to be meshing. I think they need to take one step back to make two forward. I predict both picks will be in the lottery so overall we should get a decent pick.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                            Let's hope Masai is already going all out on scouting for a late-first/second-round gem.
                            I read somewhere that Ujiri and Weltman were both at the Duke vs. Stanford game last night.

His team is in Cleveland looking to get the best record in the NBA, and he wasn't taking a night off from scouting.

Love it!

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                              Nope.

Denver gets better pick.

Raps get worse.

Straight up.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                                Nope.

Denver gets better pick.

Raps get worse.

Straight up.
                                Isn't it Denver gets to choose to swap?

So technically Masai could blackmail them into giving us the better one?
                                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                                X