A Slightly Premature Conversation About Resigning Lou Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Slightly Premature Conversation About Resigning Lou Williams

granted the sample size is small, but it may be time to discuss locking this guy up for a few years

SOME FACTORS IN FAVOR

1.) 40% on 3s this season and 83% from the line.

Some context on that though is he is shooting a lot in late shot clock situations and often creating his own shot. So the 40% from three becomes even more impressive when factoring in when he is hitting them. The 83% from the line is impressive because of HOW OFTEN he is getting to the line, especially for a backup.

2.) The "There is 10 seconds left and you are down 1, who gets the ball" question has been answered.

Watching the game last night just before half time I said the following. "Hey Greg (my brother) watch this. He is gonna bring the ball up, dribble either just left or just right of the center and hit a step back three in someones face". I received several high fives from those in attendance afterwards.

3.) He fits the age group you want for sustained winning (late 20s to early 30s)

4.) He is exerting a great deal of effort on defense now (had a rep for being one sided)

5.) PER eqauls 23.7 currently

HOW MUCH?

Here is what other gunslingers are currently making (non rookie contracts)

Jamal Crawford 5.4 million (underpaid and playing for a ring)

Jason Terry 5.8 million (twilight of his career no longer killing it)

Nick Young 5.0 million (4 year deal)

Isiah Thomas 7.2 million

Manu Ginobli 7.0 million

JR Smith 6.0 million

DEALS I WOULD OFFER

3 years 24 million (3rd year team option)

3 years 21 million (no options)

4 years 28 million (3rd and 4th year team options)

4 years 24 million (no options)
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with those offers right now. We gotta see how this team shakes up, but any one of those essentially takes us out of the market this summer (although 2015 FA is looking more and more to be slim pickings).

That's cold, heartless me talking. The other half loves the Captain.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I don't think we offer him a 4 year deal, I feel 3 year 20 mil is more than enough. He has to know that he has found a team that fits him well, he may want to chase more money somewhere else, but for personal and team success he may be in the best spot possible.

Edit: His health also has to be factored in, he has a long history of missing big chunks of seasons, in his 9 previous seasons he has only played over 80 games 2 times and only one other season in the 70's. His 3 most recent seasons were 64, 39, and 60 games.
      Last edited by WJF; Sun Nov 23, 2014, 10:37 AM.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
        His health also has to be factored in
        His health is why I would go for the 4 years with the last two being team options.

If he is healthy, great, keep paying the man around 7 million per.

If he goes down, you are only on the hook for 2 years and he becomes an expiring in one of those years 16/17
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Lou "MLE" Williams

That is what I'd be looking to sign him for.

I think that is fair value.

While money is certainly an important factor for anyone, particularly athletes, there are other factors to consider.

While early, Lou appears to have found a place where he fits perfectly. His exit in Philly and one year in Atlanta were not good experiences for him.

Comment

I THINK and could be wrong but the 7 million over 4 years in year 3 and 4 his deal would be worth less than or roughly eqaul to the MLE with the TV deal

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
              I THINK and could be wrong but the 7 million over 4 years in year 3 and 4 his deal would be worth less than or roughly eqaul to the MLE with the TV deal
              That is a good point.

However, it doesn't seem NBA GM's place a high value on his skill set when it comes to getting paid. Jamal Crawford has been brutally underpaid the last couple of contracts. Might the same happen with Lou?

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                That is a good point.

However, it doesn't seem NBA GM's place a high value on his skill set when it comes to getting paid. Jamal Crawford has been brutally underpaid the last couple of contracts. Might the same happen with Lou?
                We basically have him in an Isiah Thomas role. You would think his agent would point to a contract like that as a starting point. Agree with the Crawford sentiment. He could probably have been paid more but i think he was going after the situation.

Although, we are starting to become a desirable situation so perhaps a slight haircut on salary would be worth it for him

Comment

Well, I'm totally over the idea of trading Lou to help bring in another big man or what not. It's hard to believe he can continue to score at the rate he has been lately, but the dude is a weapon off the bench and I am all for keeping him. Is he not an early 6th man of the year favorite or what? $6-7M per seems totally reasonable. Does any one know how many end of quarter shots he has hit so far this season?

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                    We basically have him in an Isiah Thomas role. You would think his agent would point to a contract like that as a starting point. Agree with the Crawford sentiment. He could probably have been paid more but i think he was going after the situation.

Although, we are starting to become a desirable situation so perhaps a slight haircut on salary would be worth it for him
                    The other thing to consider it that this is Lou's 10th season, although he is still only 28, he does have lots of years in. Thomas is young and still getting paid on upside.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I think he is a great sparkplug off the bench, especially since he has become Raptors Jesus recently.
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

This subject came up in another thread...my response there thought that GV's contract (3 yrs) would be fair...and this was before the game . I think that range with 2Pat in the same area as well as Hayes (or his potential replacement) keeps the salary equilibrium on the team's second unit. I think its getting so now that players coming up for renewal on the team may give a little discount to stick around.

Comment

Problem is that GV 's contract is only 2 years. LW is worth a 3/20 extension. Where is the next rebounding PF coming from?

Comment

Yeah a contract like Ppat seems approppriate. Or like Vasquez. 2 yr 13 M or 3 yr 18.

Comment

I hope he sticks around. What a brilliant pick up by Masai. Lou coming off an injury and a decent expiring given a chance to see if he's still got it. Best case is happening. Worst case? Expiring contract. Brilliant.

I'm getting a jersey with LOUUUUUUUUU on the back.
                              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                              Because its 2015

Comment

Working...
                              X